• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

80x35x20 Shallow (plant advice needed)

PM

Hi all,
After a bit of success with some plants in my 45x35x35 I’m setting up a new tank. The plan is a thin sandy bottom with all plants attached to hardscape. I want a triangular layout, with smaller plants to the left, then rising up and out of the tank on the right. This is what I need some help with. I’ve heard pinitifida will grow out of the top, but that’s about all I know of.

Can anyone help with some plant suggestions that meet these requirements?
  • There’s only 18cm above water level before the light fixture so nothing massive
  • Roots will be in water
  • Does not require soil or substrate for roots
  • Does not require misting

I’ve been attempting to research but this is kind of a new frontier and don’t seem to have gotten very far. FYI I’m using co2.
Will post some pics of the tank soon, it’s just soaking the wood at the moment.

Last edited:
Hi all,
After a bit of success with some plants in my 45x35x35 I’m setting up a new tank. The plan is a thin sandy bottom with all plants attached to hardscape. I want a triangular layout, with smaller plants to the left, then rising up and out of the tank on the right. This is what I need some help with. I’ve heard pinitifida will grow out of the top, but that’s about all I know of.

Can anyone help with some plant suggestions that meet these requirements?
  • There’s only 18cm above water level before the light fixture so nothing massive
  • Roots will be in water
  • Does not require soil or substrate for roots

I’ve been attempting to research but this is kind of a new frontier and don’t seem to have gotten very far.
Will post some pics of the tank soon, it’s just soaking the wood at the moment.
Hydrocotyle tripartita does very well emersed also!

Reactions: PM
I have found that all the hydrocotyles and ludwigias grow fantastically emersed, and they look good both in the water and coming out of it. The ludiwigia reds are especially nice as they are red/pink/purple and that adds an extra dimension to the tank. <You can see how I used them in my journal here.> I think most stem plants will work well. If you have any wood emersed, then Christmas moss makes the most beautiful cushion-y moss when emergent, as long as the wood is still damp. Also tall eleocharis comes out of the water vertically and looks great.

I found pinnatifida really hard to get to grow emersed, all the shoots just shrivelled up when they came out of the water. It might be easier to buy new emersed pots of it (the ones in the shops are grown like this) and see how that goes. Another one that's nice is Ceratopteris Thalictroides, if you let it float it forms lovely pads with big fronds that stick out of the water, I think it's much nicer like this than when it's rooted down.

If you research wabi kusa, that's a great place to look because all those plants grow emersed. I personally also used wabi kusa hung on the side of the glass (using wire) half in and half out of the water to establish my emergent plants, I found this technique works really well.

I’m TOTALLY making one of these (out of a bicycle spoke) - that’s such a good idea!
You 100% should, I use the technique in all my tanks now and it works SO well!! Really easy maintenance too, since you can just lift it out temporarily if you need to get it out the way.

Sorry, off topic but have you got a post on how you do it?
Not off topic at all (but sorry for the thread hijack) I'm afraid I don't have any photographs of the process, but I can explain it here:

You need:
  • a small amount of aquasoil (between a golf ball and tennis ball size, depending on what your space needs are). It can be old soil, no worries.
  • some sphagnum moss, about a 15cm x 15cm flat bit (usually it comes all mixed up, but often there are flat small-plate sized bits of it.) Just buy a small bag.
  • thread to wrap with
  • some moss or small-leafed aquatic plant, my most successful plants were Christmas moss, mini pelia and hydrocotyle tripartita. You could also try monte carlo, java moss, etc. The only thing I tried which didn't work well was phoenix moss, apparently it's 100% aquatic.
  • aquarium tweezers
  • some emergent-loving plants, my favourites are ludwigia red (ar mini, etc), and hydrocotyle (all work great), any stem plants, echinodorus, langenandra (mine grows great emergent) eleocharis (the tall one looks great), even epiphytes like buce and anubias, etc. See a full list here: WABI KUSA TUTORIAL (this has a different technique which is beautiful but not so good for adding to the aquarium)
  • some stainless steel or plastic-covered wire (other wire rusts, not sure if that's actually a problem but am erring on the side of caution)

Basically you want to get your sphagnum moss flat disk in your hand, and then put about a golf-ball-sized pile of aquasoil in the middle of that.
Then you wrap the soil in the sphagnum moss, so it's (ideally) fully covered. Sometimes there are gaps so the soil falls out, but just keep it all in your hand.
Next you get your thread, and start wrapping it around the ball until the soil is fully secure and everything is neat and tight.
Now you wrap your moss/small-leafed aquatic plants around the ball using more thread. I usually add it in bits as covering it all in one go is difficult.
Now use your aquarium tweezers and stab the ball to get some holes in it for the plants. Depending on the plant you'll want to make a bigger or smaller hole.
Using the same tweezers, put your various plants into the holes.

At this point you can add it to the aquarium, or put it in a dish with some water by a window to mature for a bit first. Or just enjoy it in a dish forever! Below is the insutrctions for the wire:

Get your wire and make a U shape with it. You want the wire to be about 20cm, maybe a little longer in case you want to adjust the placement. You can always trim the ends later.
Stab the ends of the U wire into the ball so the ball is in the curve. (You don't have to stab it with the wire, but when I originally used the wire as a shelf like in the ADA link above, it just fell in immediately, this is what I found works)
Where the wire comes out on the other side of the ball, bend those up.
Put the ball in the aquarium about where you want it to sit on the glass. I recommend 50/50 in/out of the water (the drawing below is a bit low! IRL the top of mine are at the top of the glass basically)
Fold the wire over the glass so it stays

Untitled-1.jpg

Tada! Wait 6 weeks and you'll have a beautiful little jungle.

Another option is instead of attaching it to side of the glass, balance it between some emergent wood branches, or use wire/thread to attach it to wood if you don't have any convenient branches.

I'd better go back and do this tutorial again with actual photos 😂

Last edited:
Not off topic at all! I'm afraid I don't have any photographs of the process, but I can explain it here:
Thank you very much, that was very easy to follow and sounds very dooable! I'm going to order some supplies and have a go!

I'd better go back and do this tutorial again with actual photos 😂
But the wabi balls look so happy! 😀
@tam I bought a kit on eBay from a florist suppliers which was great value (sold as a ‘kokedama moss ball’ kit). A big bag of sphagnum, bonsai soil, peat, etc., and it made no end of balls. Lots of fun but I did get sore hands.

Reactions: tam
Thanks for all the tips. I have been trying to find some examples of planted aquariums using wabi kusa hangers but haven’t found any some how! Obviously there are different methods - walls, hangers, or just mounting up substrate at the back. I’m deciding between the last two, so would be good to find some visual examples of the hangers as there are many other examples of the wall and substrate mound methods.

Just found this, quite a nice example:

Thanks for all the tips. I have been trying to find some examples of planted aquariums using wabi kusa hangers but haven’t found any some how! Obviously there are different methods - walls, hangers, or just mounting up substrate at the back. I’m deciding between the last two, so would be good to find some visual examples of the hangers as there are many other examples of the wall and substrate mound methods.
To be honest I'm not sure if I have seen many. I only came across this technique because I was trying to work out how to have emergent plants without having to have loads of wood/hardscape proped up at the top. I saw the metal hooks on this ADA link above and went "Aha! That'll do" and made my own version. I also found it useful for using the wire to attach to emergent wood so that the balls can be half in/half out of water - the wood isn't always placed perfectly enough to prop up the balls how I wanted them to be alone.

Here is them used in my tanks:

I think some of these use the hooks, though they don't show how:

<this tank by @zozo> doesn't use wabi kusa, but I think you could get a similar effect with hanging wabi kusa balls on the side, even attaching them to some wood if you wanted. This tank was my inspiration for first wanting to try emersed growth.

There are some other ones too but I've been wracking my brain and cna't remember the site. It has some UKAPS people too, called something like glass gardens or something? It had a great example o a wabi kusa tank with willow branches growing out of it.

Thank you very much, that was very easy to follow and sounds very dooable! I'm going to order some supplies and have a go!
But the wabi balls look so happy! 😀
@tam I bought a kit on eBay from a florist suppliers which was great value (sold as a ‘kokedama moss ball’ kit). A big bag of sphagnum, bonsai soil, peat, etc., and it made no end of balls. Lots of fun but I did get sore hands.
@shangman very good tutorial think admin should put up as a tutorial/article
Thanks very much guys!! My wabi kusas are getting very overgrown so when I redo them I'll make this into a more proper tutorial for UKAPS :)

Last edited:
Back