• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

810l (210g) teak root tank

Aqua sobriquet said:
Adjusting the flow electrically would probably be the best way but it depends on the type of motor used. My central heating pump has a simple three speed switch so it can be done. Dupla used CH pumps early on before they switched to something smaller :wideyed:
I am using a Grundfos three speed pump with an Aqua turn conversion on my tank at the moment :)

Gosh, what size tank are you running that on?!

Update: just seen the conversion kit you mentioned on eBay. Think I may buy one of those to play with given the cost!

foxfish said:
Aqua sobriquet said:
Adjusting the flow electrically would probably be the best way but it depends on the type of motor used. My central heating pump has a simple three speed switch so it can be done. Dupla used CH pumps early on before they switched to something smaller :wideyed:
I am using a Grundfos three speed pump with an Aqua turn conversion on my tank at the moment :)

A grundfos central heating / boiler pump ?

IS it quiet ? I have one sitting in my garage that was used on a boiler for a week before the boiler failed for other reasons !

The aqua turn won a Prince Charles award for somthing or another many years ago?

I have installed & sold probably 50- 60 in the last twenty years, mostly for Kio pond installations but I have used & endorsed their use for fish tank use too.

I have installed several in commercial enterprises over the years, including several in huge marine tanks.
Virtually silent in operation :)

It is just a simple piece of injection molding that allows the use of a very high production pump to be used in many different circumstances including salt water.
My plant tank that uses the Grundfos is only about 200lr & it has a sump that makes full use of the pump, it powers a trickle filter & the main return all on the lowest setting (about 40w i think) but it is very useful to up the power on occasions!

foxfish said:
The aqua turn won a Prince Charles award for somthing or another many years ago?

I have installed & sold probably 50- 60 in the last twenty years, mostly for Kio pond installations but I have used & endorsed their use for fish tank use too.

I have installed several in commercial enterprises over the years, including several in huge marine tanks.
Virtually silent in operation :)

It is just a simple piece of injection molding that allows the use of a very high production pump to be used in many different circumstances including salt water.
My plant tank that uses the Grundfos is only about 200lr & it has a sump that makes full use of the pump, it powers a trickle filter & the main return all on the lowest setting (about 40w i think) but it is very useful to up the power on occasions!

Thanks that sounds really interesting. I am either gonna use this brand new grundfos I have or sell it and buy an Eheim, LOL.

Took my sweet time I know but here's the final design. The teak roots which sat idle for a year have since been claimed by the office to incorporate in a desk. In any case a standard aquarium cabinet makes more sense.

It's taken me almost as much time to draw in Sketchup as it would to setup the whole thing!
w2qaVNo.png

Inventory so far:
  • Pump has arrived.
  • Lights have arrived.
  • Cabinet ordered.
  • Sump ordered.

Left to order:
  • Aquarium, thinking FitFiltration for this.
  • Pipework, FitFiltration or Coral Culture seem to be highly recommended.

Using beanimal overflow. Sump design hashed out at a variety of sites from Discus Keepers to BarrReport - think it's the ideal design for a planted tank - but would love to stand corrected if anyone has any input.

Back