• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

810l (210g) teak root tank

flygja said:
Better buy your friends a few big dinners! :lol:

In-laws actually...I've already pinched their daughter, think I owe them more than a few good meals! :shh:

Spent the past week designing the sump for this bad boy. Since I don't want ANY equipment upstairs apart from the tank lighting (obviously ;)) I'll be sticking the filter, pump, controllers, auto-top-up, dosing pumps, etc. etc. in the cellar below.

Despite buying the two most well regarded filters for this project I've found in the fine print that neither handle a large difference in height between the top of the tank's water surface and the bottom of the filter. In the FX5 manual for instance it states:

The filter lid must be at least 7.8 in. (20 cm) below your aquarium’s water level but never more than 4.9 ft. (150 cm).

Bummer :(

That said, in preparation for the project I've been running the temporary tank where I'm keeping all my fish using this arrangement. Tank in the study, pumps and equipment in the basement. However whilst the canister filter is able to handle the higher pressure of being placed about 6' below the tank the in-built pump is woefully inadequate. I've had to stick a very large Iwaki pump on to maintain the same flow as the Eheim maintained when used as normal (600 l/h):

j7Lxp.jpg

I'm using 22mm John Guest pipework and fittings although something tells me I should be using at least 30mm if not 40mm pipe for a tank as large as the final project. Can anyone recommend a good supplier for 40mm fittings, valves, etc.?

is there any way the filter could be moved closer to the ceiling thus reducing the height it hast to push the water back up?

wandgrudd said:
is there any way the filter could be moved closer to the ceiling thus reducing the height it hast to push the water back up?

Good question, it's actually up on a shelf since placing it on the floor caused the filter to really creak and groan under the pressure. Considering the price, Eheim filters are quite poorly constructed. A far cry from Ocean Clear filters for example:
EXLnp.jpg

Speaking of quality, the ADA light fittings arrived today and the quality of the unit really puts to shame any aquarium light fitting I've ever seen. They're up there quality wise with commercial light fittings like you'd find in factories and airports.

Doggie seal of approval:
RJP53.jpg

They are in a very large suitcase and barely fit, definitely not for smaller tanks:
V2Rap.jpg

Built out of very heavy gauge metal:
yqpWf.jpg

The bulb is as fat as my thumb:
7MYI3.jpg

I've yet to order a transformer for them although the specs suggest they can operate on a 200V supply. I'm sure they could be rewired but for now a big tranny will do!

Any updates? :)

RpT4F.jpg

Three of those blocks of wood arrived two weeks ago...weighing about 100kg+ each I plan on using those for as the stand. I've used one for the Mini-M above until I order the 200 gallon tank. Before that though I have to order the sump and get that plumbed in. Been procrastinating over that since the outlet hole and dimensions make it pretty final once ordered.

Should be ordering it before the end of the month. It's 48"x20"x15" (LxHxW). Filling it with Sera Siporax will cost an absolute fortune so I'll probably use plastic scrubbies or cheaper plastic bio balls...any recommendations for cheap bio media?

foxfish said:
When I was involved with Koi, I built many trickle towers & always filled them with embossed parcel strapping.

Great idea, and to think, all this time I've thrown the stuff away considering it a very dangerous tripping hazard!

Heheh, on their own they'd be considered pretty big pumps considering the size and weight!

The MD-20R offers double the performance of the MD-15R. So approximately 400-500 l/hr vs 800-1000 l/hr. Really depends on how big the filter is, how much media, etc. ADA use the MD-15R on the ES-600 SuperJet filter and the MD-20R on the ES-1200 series. They rate the pumps at 330 l/hr and 960 l/hr respectively with the filter fully loaded.
http://www.adana.com.sg/productsPage/ad ... ation.html

I bought the MD-15R from Iwaki UK for £160 odd and the MD-20R on ebay for £40 odd. I'd hit ebay in future since the price is so much cheaper than retail and these things are built like bricks so buying used isn't really an issue.

Hey Leonroy, how quiet are the smaller Iwaki's ? I am contemplating having one to add extra circulation as well as running mechanical filtration and the heater/CO2. What are your (or anyones) thoughts on that ?

somethingfishy said:
Loving the thread so far and cant wait to see you beast of a setup take shape.

Quick question where did you get the wood from it looks amazing

dave

Thanks, feel terrible for the delay but work and money comes first!

I'll be ordering the sump soon, then it's a matter of figuring out which tank to buy. I'd originally planned on an all acrylic tank but after seeing the new ADG install I think I much prefer the metal framed tank they used.

If anyone knows where I can obtain such a tank I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm thinking of a bare tank like that on a wooden base.

I obtained the teak root bases from a company called RAFT.

Antipofish said:
Hey Leonroy, how quiet are the smaller Iwaki's ? I am contemplating having one to add extra circulation as well as running mechanical filtration and the heater/CO2. What are your (or anyones) thoughts on that ?

They're audible up close, certainly not as quiet as an Eheim. Inside a cabinet though you probably won't hear them. I'd put the noise level around that of a good quality air pump. They make excellent circulation pumps but a few notes of caution:

1. NEVER run them dry for any period of time, they spin at such speed that it damages the ceramic bearing very quickly.
2. Try to avoid restricting the inlet to reduce flow. Restricting the outlet is fine however - the Iwaki pumps are designed to push against resistance rather than pulling through it.
3. They are pretty powerful so unsuitable for a anything less than a 24" tank (and you'll still probably want to restrict the outlet with a tank of that size).

Cheers for the info. Couple more questions if I may;
1) Which Eheims are we talking about ? The likes of 1250s etc in the Universal range, or a different range ? I am not that familiar with pumps.
2) You said don't restrict the inlet. How do you prevent the pump from getting clogged ? (And also the inline producs beyond the pump ?

Thanks

Antipofish said:
Cheers for the info. Couple more questions if I may;
1) Which Eheims are we talking about ? The likes of 1250s etc in the Universal range, or a different range ? I am not that familiar with pumps.
2) You said don't restrict the inlet. How do you prevent the pump from getting clogged ? (And also the inline producs beyond the pump ?

Thanks

1. Eheim 1250/1260 etc. The Iwaki's are used in the ADA SuperJet's so they're quiet enough that the missus won't mind them! Just be aware you can hear them in a quiet room.
2. A filter in front of the Iwaki inlet is fine, I meant that restrictions like a valve to reduce flow should be placed on the outlet only.

Also should add the US auction sites tend to have far more Iwaki pumps for sale than the UK ones. They also will have 240V models for sale since the US has two voltages (110V and 240V).

Once again, many thanks :) Last question then I will shutup and stop hijacking your thread, lol. (PS those teak blocks are stunning in their own right !). Did you mean an Eheim would be quieter than an Iwaki or vice versa ? I will not be looking at a massive one to be honest. One of the baby ones that gives anything over 600lph should suffice. Maybe go for 1000lph to 1500lph so I can restrict it though.

Adjusting the flow electrically would probably be the best way but it depends on the type of motor used. My central heating pump has a simple three speed switch so it can be done. Dupla used CH pumps early on before they switched to something smaller :wideyed:

Antipofish said:
Did you mean an Eheim would be quieter than an Iwaki or vice versa ? I will not be looking at a massive one to be honest.
No problem. Eheim is quieter.

Aqua sobriquet said:
Adjusting the flow electrically would probably be the best way but it depends on the type of motor used. My central heating pump has a simple three speed switch so it can be done.
The Iwaki MD- range all use AC motors so whilst you could in theory reduce the speed by reducing the current it is not ideal. Reason being that many AC motors are designed to run at a specific voltage and frequency. If operated outside this range the motor may run faster/slower but its life will usually be shortened by overheating or bearing failure. Not to mention there'll be lower efficiency and poor torque output.

The Iwaki RD- range however use DC motors so the motor speed is completely variable. You could probably do some pretty cool wave and stream type effects using those and a clever DC voltage controller.

leonroy said:
The Iwaki RD- range however use DC motors so the motor speed is completely variable. You could probably do some pretty cool wave and stream type effects using those and a clever DC voltage controller.

I like the sound of that!

Back