• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
So... Today I've received some more pieces of equipment and stuff to help the the husbandry/maintenance of the aquarium! An air pump, glass curved tubes (for the EI fertilizers dosage) buckets and a garden storage where I will keep the RO and the water barrel... Tomorrow should receive some more stuff (Seneye)! :p

Also started to soak the wood... Boiled it in water with a bit of salt for about 40 minutes and then cold freshwater bucket until doesn't float! :rolleyes:

IMG_2745.jpg

Getting there and looking forward to the next Saturday!!!

Cheers, ;)
Jose.

Last edited:
Finally yesterday, after having a side mirror ripped off from my car by a HGV that just decided to come to my lane while I was on the way to get the remaining pieces of the equipment, I got everything, well everything aside of the lights stand that I've arranged to build a custom made one... in acrylic (ADA Style) for my Raidons.

So, after this interesting trip, I got home around 21h00 and put my hands to the task of puting everything together and in the end around 3h00 am I quite enjoyed the end result on the hardscape...

IMG_2867.jpg

IMG_2869.jpg

IMG_2870.jpg

IMG_2880.jpg

IMG_2896.jpg

Hope you enjoy as much as I did! :)

Cheers,
Jose.

Hey Jose, have you used substrate dividers? I did not and slowly but surely it all levelling out. I do like your layout of the rocks and wood, is this going to be the final layout?
Jim

Hey Jose, have you used substrate dividers? I did not and slowly but surely it all levelling out. I do like your layout of the rocks and wood, is this going to be the final layout?
Jim

Hi Jim,

Yes I did used substrate dividers... In regards to the left side yes, I believe it will be definitive... The right side with the water started to mix with the sand unfortunately, thus I have put the Aqua soil up to the front of the aquarium...

Cheers,
Jose.

Looking good Jose, all coming together fella.

I think it would be worth removing a lot of the sand, you dont want much more than a cm or 2 as the deeper it is the quicker it will discolour and it will level out in a week. To keep it white you need to really stir it around each water change.
Spend a good amount of time adding substrate supports or the amazonia will level out also, which it still will to a degree but they help a lot. Would be advisable to add some more rock on the right to divide the substrates, you want to try to dam up any gaps between amazonia and sand, picking out the black balls every day gets old real quick let me tell you!!
This pic gives you an idea of how many substrate supports you need and even then it will level out over time as fish shrimp move it around...
14481455126_990bc65469_z.jpgLW14 by iain sutherland, on Flickr

Will be interested to see how you get on with the radions, i just picked one up and they sure have a lot of power, go easy at the start :thumbup:

Looking good Jose, all coming together fella.

I think it would be worth removing a lot of the sand, you dont want much more than a cm or 2 as the deeper it is the quicker it will discolour and it will level out in a week. To keep it white you need to really stir it around each water change.
Spend a good amount of time adding substrate supports or the amazonia will level out also, which it still will to a degree but they help a lot. Would be advisable to add some more rock on the right to divide the substrates, you want to try to dam up any gaps between amazonia and sand, picking out the black balls every day gets old real quick let me tell you!!
This pic gives you an idea of how many substrate supports you need and even then it will level out over time as fish shrimp move it around...
14481455126_990bc65469_z.jpgLW14 by iain sutherland, on Flickr

Will be interested to see how you get on with the radions, i just picked one up and they sure have a lot of power, go easy at the start :thumbup:

Hi Iain,

Thanks for the advice... I've "loaded" the substrate with supports, especially in between the rocks... The Aqua Soil Powder is very good looking but I can see it giving me headaches during maintenance! :(

Yes, I'm thinking on adding more rocks on the right towards the back while raising the substrate, as in the front I've replaced the sand by the aqua soil.

In term of the height of the sand, I've already removed some cm's, but probably will remove some more!

The Radions despite not having installed them on the aquarium, I've already played with them a bit, and basically what you can do with them is amazing! I will use the acclimatisation feature as it will probably do what the aquarium needs! :)

BTW - the aquarium in your pictures is awesome... :clap:

Cheers,
Jose.

Last edited:
It has been more than a week since I last posted here... Mainly because I've been outside of the country and spent the weekend diving in Plymouth... :)

However, yesterday I went to The Aquatic Design Centre in London to pick up the rest of the equipment and... plants! :)

So, I've did a water change and planted all the plants, also changed part of the sand for a bit whiter one!

Here it is the final result...

IMG_3253.jpg

IMG_3254.jpg

IMG_3255.jpg

IMG_3257.jpg

The Radions are now in an acclimatisation mode where the maximum intensity is 20%... Nevertheless, I'm quite astonished with these lights, couldn't say better from its features, from sun rise and sun set simulation to storm simulation, these lights do it all - top!

CO2 is turning on 4 hours before "sun rise" and off 1 hour before "sun set".

Despite the aquarium being with water maturing for more than a week, this week I will perform 50% water changes every day.

The initial hardscape, as you may have noticed, has changed a bit (on the right side), also I was expecting to have an acrylic stand for the lights and unfortunately had to stay with the original Eco tech ones...

Nevertheless, hope you like the outcome and I will keep you posted!

Cheers,
Jose.

Last edited:
Would love to see an update on this and how it is progressing. Is there anything you would do differently next time?

IMG_9680.jpg
IMG_9681.jpg
IMG_9683.jpg
IMG_9684.jpg
IMG_9687.jpg
IMG_9691.jpg
IMG_9692.jpg
IMG_9693.jpg
IMG_9695.jpg
IMG_9697.jpg
IMG_9698.jpg
IMG_9701.jpg
IMG_9702.jpg
IMG_9706.jpg
IMG_9707.jpg
IMG_9708.jpg
IMG_9713.jpg
IMG_9715.jpg
IMG_9717.jpg
IMG_9718.jpg
IMG_9719.jpg
IMG_9721.jpg
IMG_9722.jpg
IMG_9680.jpg
IMG_9681.jpg
IMG_9683.jpg
IMG_9684.jpg
IMG_9687.jpg
IMG_9691.jpg
IMG_9692.jpg
IMG_9693.jpg
IMG_9695.jpg
IMG_9697.jpg
IMG_9698.jpg
IMG_9701.jpg
IMG_9702.jpg
IMG_9706.jpg
IMG_9707.jpg
IMG_9708.jpg
IMG_9713.jpg
IMG_9715.jpg
IMG_9717.jpg
IMG_9718.jpg
IMG_9719.jpg
IMG_9721.jpg
IMG_9722.jpg
Hi all,

After quite some time without updating the thread because of the lack of time to do it.... here is an update.

Unfortunately I'm going to have to sell the aqua as I'm moving and won't be able to take it with me...

Cheers!

Last edited:
Looks healthy! Would you set up another at your new destination?

Looks healthy! Would you set up another at your new destination?

Hello rebel,

It is, I even have crazy reproduction rates on the shrimps and guppies. Also had some rasboras reproducing...

I will make another one, but not immediately thus me willing to sell it as a whole, or on the other hand only the livestock...

My main concern is to get things sorted that I can provide good conditions for the fish, shrimps, plants, etc...

Cheers,
Jose

Back