• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Jose Duarte

Hiya all,

So, I've just decided to setup a planted aquarium, however due to a history of medium/larger size reefs that I've maintained in the past (with all the work/stress load that it placed in my wife), I was "suggested" that if a new aquarium was going to enter our place should be small/nano... LOL

So, today I'm starting my aquascaping journey and I'm standing here (hoping to learn to do magical things in the future aquarium):
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRMgZfVjfnc1ydMMCXYCXLp1KFByeLAlsLglaILL_YaE5XCM5oQ4wjlnjg.jpg

Aquarium planned setup:

Hagen Fluval F90 kit, i.e.:
- Aquarium 90 x 35 x 45 cm (35.4 x 13.8 x 17.7 in)
- Fluval 206 canister filter
- Fluval M-150 Watt Heater (will be replaced by an external heater)
- Aqualife & Plant Full Spectrum Performance LED Strip Light (35W - 2,580 LM)

Plus:
- 2 X Arcadia Eco Aqua LED 30w
- All Pond Solutions 1400EF External aquarium filter
- External Aquarium Fish Tank add on Filter 1.2L
- 2kg CO2 cylinder
- CO2Art Regulator Two Gauge and Solenoid Magnetic Valve
- TMC Aquagrow Power Diffuser 500
- Hydor ETH External Thermal Heater 300W
- Twinstar Nano 2

Substrate:

ADA Trumaline
ADA Bacter 100
ADA Penac P
ADA Penac W
ADA Power Sand Special
ADA Aquasoil Amazonia
ADA Aquasoil Amazonia powder
ADA La Plata Sand

The setup is meant to support any type of plants... however as I have never had a real planted aquarium the setup is based on my reading rather than my experience, so please have a go on the comments and suggest any changes/improvements you see fit!
smile.gif

Cheers,
JFD

So, today I'm starting my aquascaping journey and I'm standing here (hoping to learn to do magical things in the future aquarium):
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRMgZfVjfnc1ydMMCXYCXLp1KFByeLAlsLglaILL_YaE5XCM5oQ4wjlnjg.jpg
That's funny...no magic, just a bit of basic applied science, creativity, and moderate work...check out the Tutorials section http://www.ukaps.org/forum/forums/tutorials.34/
If you're looking for minimum effort maximum gain consider a soil substrate low-energy tank http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/the-soil-substrate-or-dirted-planted-tank-a-how-to-guide.18943/

Okay, so I just pushed through the wall of Platform 9 3/4... :happy: And started the shopping spree!

All the acquisitions were based on fellow "aquarists" feedback and on my readings and research… Thus, first of all I have to thank you all for all the precious help! :clap:

So currently I have bought:
  • All Pond Solutions 1400EF External aquarium filter with external Aquarium Fish Tank add on Filter 1.2L
  • 2kg CO2 cylinderCO2Art Regulator Two Gauge and Solenoid Magnetic Valve
  • Twinstar Nano 2
  • CO2 Tube
  • Bubble counter
  • Non-return valve
  • Aquarium Hanging On External CO2 PH Monitor Glass Drop Checker
  • PH pen
  • Drop checker fluid (Bromo Blue + 4dkh water
  • ADA NA Thermometer J-10 Clear
  • Lily pipes (in and out)
  • Jebao Auto Dosing Pump DP-4 Reef Marine Aquarium
Substrate:
  • ADA Trumaline
  • ADA Bacter 100
  • ADA Power Sand Special
  • ADA Aquasoil Amazonia
  • ADA Aquasoil Amazonia powder
  • ADA La Plata Sand
Filtering Material
  • ADA NA Carbon 230
  • ADA Bio Rio
Fertilisers:
  • Magnesium Sulphate (MgSO4) – 1kg
  • Potassium Nitrate (KNO3) – 500 gr
  • Monopotassium Phosphate (KH2PO4) – 250 gr
  • TNC Trace Elements – 250 gr

I’m still missing:
  • 2 X Arcadia Eco Aqua LED 30w
  • TMC Aquagrow Power Diffuser 500
  • Hydor ETH External Thermal Heater 300W
  • Hagen Fluval F90 kit, that includes:
    • Aquarium 90 x 35 x 45 cm (35.4 x 13.8 x 17.7 in)
    • Fluval 206 canister filter
    • Fluval M-150 Watt Heater (will be replaced by an external heater)
    • Aqualife & Plant Full Spectrum Performance LED Strip Light (35W - 2,580 LM)

I’m still thinking on the missing things thus the delay… Still not sure about the aquarium (thus the questions on the missing bits), although cost wise it is very good…

I’m still looking around for a 100x40x45 aquarium with a white glossy stand… for a good price! :greedy: If I can find one then potentially the missing items will change slightly, any suggestions are welcomed! ;)

I've decided not to add to the substrate ADA Penac P & W as per what I've been reading about the EI... I'll be adding them throughout the week! :rolleyes:

As soon as the equipment starts arriving I’ll start with photos! :D

Cheers,
Jose.

It's my understanding that the power sand contains those substrate additives anyway

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, but still ADA recommends them. They can be added to the substrate, but should be added to the water going forward (according to ADA)... However, they are not more than what I have bought for fertilisation! :thumbup:

The arcadia eco aqua LEDs are a few years old I think, so they're a bit dated (LED is still pretty new to aquariums). No dimming function and they don't look particularly pretty either. This would be OK if the price had come down but its still expensive. You also have to buy the lenses separately I believe. I'd probably go for grobeam 1500s before those! But I'm sure there must be something newer around the same price point.

The twinstar is useless as well. I've seen plenty of people with nice tanks using them, but I've not seen anyone who had an issue pick one up and have it solved...

Seems like you're throwing a lot of money at this, but its not really going to make it any easier or better! Honestly you'd be better off starting with lowish light and easy plants

The arcadia eco aqua LEDs are a few years old I think, so they're a bit dated (LED is still pretty new to aquariums). No dimming function and they don't look particularly pretty either. This would be OK if the price had come down but its still expensive. You also have to buy the lenses separately I believe. I'd probably go for grobeam 1500s before those! But I'm sure there must be something newer around the same price point.

The twinstar is useless as well. I've seen plenty of people with nice tanks using them, but I've not seen anyone who had an issue pick one up and have it solved...

Seems like you're throwing a lot of money at this, but its not really going to make it any easier or better! Honestly you'd be better off starting with lowish light and easy plants

Thanks for the feedback! I will be looking into the lights then!

I think the Twinstar is more prophylactic than a remedy, once the algae is spread out then the solution is more of water changes and physical removal...

But anyway good point about the LED's and thanks! :)

Cheers,
Jose.

Last edited:
Yes, but still ADA recommends them. They can be added to the substrate, but should be added to the water going forward (according to ADA)... However, they are not more than what I have bought for fertilisation! :thumbup:
Yea I still used the additives and powersand also. Only get once chance to do the substrate. Not an easy part to change

Yea I still used the additives and powersand also. Only get once chance to do the substrate. Not an easy part to change

must have too much money then. if you dose the water column properly you don't need to spend a fortune on (magical:lol:) overpriced packets from japan.

must have too much money then. if you dose the water column properly you don't need to spend a fortune on (magical:lol:) overpriced packets from japan.
Yea i know but at the time i was very much caught up in the idea of them. That being said, i did not buy all of them. I now know that most of the ADA range is as you say 'magical and overpriced'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, quick update! I’ve bought everything with the exception of the aquarium and stand.

Today I went visiting a fish store in London and I became fascinated by the ADA aquariums... So despite not having bought it, I came home thinking and guess what... Tomorrow I'll be ordering one ADA 90x45x45 aquarium and a cabinet.

Now, as I didn't went with the Fluval Aquarium I'll not have the Fluval Light neither the filter, nor the heater. Nothing of the missing equipment comes with an issue, as I will be able to buy better solutions, especially around the light!

Many people have suggested the TMC AquaRay GroBeam 1500 ND Ultima Tile with the controller, and I'm thinking on them... now my question is: "what are your views around this light and how many should I buy, 1 or 2? Any views are welcome! :happy:

So currently I'm waiting the delivery of:
  • All Pond Solutions 1000EF External aquarium filter with external Aquarium Fish Tank add on Filter 1.2L
  • 2kg CO2 cylinder
  • CO2Art Regulator Two Gauge and Solenoid Magnetic Valve
  • Twinstar Nano 2
  • CO2 Tube
  • Bubble counter
  • Non-return valve
  • Aquarium Hanging On External CO2 PH Monitor Glass Drop Checker
  • PH pen
  • Drop checker fluid (Bromo Blue + 4dkh water)
  • ADA NA Thermometer J-10 Clear
  • Lily pipes (in and out)
  • Jebao Auto Dosing Pump DP-4 Reef Marine Aquarium
  • Mixer Reactor CO2 Diffuser
  • Hydor ETH External Thermal Heater 300W
Substrate:
  • ADA Trumaline
  • ADA Bacter 100
  • ADA Power Sand Special
  • ADA Aquasoil Amazonia
  • ADA Aquasoil Amazonia powder
  • ADA La Plata Sand
Filtering Material
  • ADA NA Carbon 230
  • ADA Bio Rio
  • Evolution Aqua Pure Aquarium
  • Ammonia (for the cycle)
Fertilisers:
  • Magnesium Sulphate (MgSO4) – 1kg
  • Potassium Nitrate (KNO3) – 500 gr
  • Monopotassium Phosphate (KH2PO4) – 250 gr
  • TNC Trace Elements – 250 gr

Water Changes:
  • Cheap water pump

So with the acquisition of the aquarium, cabinet and lights I'll have everything that I need to put things in place... One last question in regards to the equipment, shall I add another (low power) filter to have some redundancy and more filtering?

Cheers,
Jose.

One small thing I've noticed. You don't need ammonia for cycling. The ADA leaches ammonia like crazy. This is designed to aid cycling

the TMC 1500's are good lights, i know they used to have a high pitch squeal when dimmed but should think that is fixed now. You will need two simply for light spread on a 90cm.

Looks like your spending a lot of money on things that are nice rather than necessary, try not to get sucked in by ada, like people have mentioned most of it has no purpose than to remove money from your wallet.

ADA tanks are really nice but you do need to consider the water evaporation in your house. If your not well ventilated then mould issues can appear further down the line. I certainly wouldnt buy an ADA stand, unless money is no object. A local carpenter could build you one for a fraction of the price!! Better to spend the money on really densely planting from the off or bigger filters etc that will actually help the health of the tank.

No need for the ammonia to cycle, have a look at silent cycling.... basically your ada substrate will leach loads of ammonia over the first 3 weeks, the plants and filter will use this to start growing and bacteria to colonise.
Really spend some time reading the tutorials prior to starting.... loads of big water changes, daily, for the first 3 weeks is the best thing you can do for your tank.

Good luck, look forward to seeing it develop.

Hi all,
I've bitten my lip through this thread, as I've never spent more than £100 setting up any of my aquariums (2nd hand aquarium, 2nd hand Eheim filter), and it would be fair to say a lot of the items wouldn't be on my purchasing list, even if I won the lottery.
Ammonia (for the cycle)
Don't add ammonia. Have a look a this thread <"Raising pH"> and linked posts.

cheers Darrel

the TMC 1500's are good lights, i know they used to have a high pitch squeal when dimmed but should think that is fixed now. You will need two simply for light spread on a 90cm.

Thanks! That's what I was thinking as well! :thumbup:

Looks like your spending a lot of money on things that are nice rather than necessary, try not to get sucked in by ada, like people have mentioned most of it has no purpose than to remove money from your wallet.

No, that's exactly why I've bought the ingredients for the EI... I'm just starting off with what I heard/read to be the best! :D

ADA tanks are really nice but you do need to consider the water evaporation in your house. If your not well ventilated then mould issues can appear further down the line. I certainly wouldnt buy an ADA stand, unless money is no object. A local carpenter could build you one for a fraction of the price!! Better to spend the money on really densely planting from the off or bigger filters etc that will actually help the health of the tank.

No, the plan is to buy a cheaper cabinet/stand... £700+ buys a lot of plants and nice filters! :lol:

No need for the ammonia to cycle, have a look at silent cycling.... basically your ada substrate will leach loads of ammonia over the first 3 weeks, the plants and filter will use this to start growing and bacteria to colonise.

Ok... No problems, however there is a lot of contradicting info out there!

Really spend some time reading the tutorials prior to starting.... loads of big water changes, daily, for the first 3 weeks is the best thing you can do for your tank.
Good luck, look forward to seeing it develop.

Been reading a lot and trying to educate my self... The plans are, to put everything in place, do the hardscape keep it that way for a bit to see if I like it and then after a week or so add the plants and water... ;)

Anyway thanks for the comments and wishes! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Back