• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

90cm Low Tech Wood, Cobbles & Emersed (Probably)

Still four weeks to wait, so I thought I'd get a head start on the plants.

20180731_132453b.jpg

There is:

Echinodorus Tenellus
Lilaeopsis Mauritiana
Hydrocotyle sp. Japan
Micranthemum sp. 'Monte Carlo'
Hydrocotyle Verticillata
S. Repens
Utricularia graminifolia

Some will be under water, some emersed and some both (or half way between). I much prefer the look of E. Tenellus emersed with the spear shape leaves and little ball flowers, and I want to see if I can get UG to flower emersed too.

For the emersed containers - maybe thin sponge or matting on the top of the HOB filter so it's easy to lift to maintain the filter? Then I'm using this for the back edge: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200796902614 not sure if it's best to fill with ceramic/clay media or foam and then the same something thinner on top that can lift off? I'm thinking of just using a bit of pipe and siphoning for filling rather than powering it - so it won't have a lot of flow but I don't think the plants will care.

Good luck! UG is a tricky one underwater but grows well semi emergant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: tam
Moved my existing tanks out the way yesterday, just drained them down to about 1cm of water leaving everything in place, shifted them and refilled. My ember tetras have been expanding ready for the new pad. Found this bonus little guy:

Screenshot_20180822-114749b.jpg

Substrates arrived today. Hope it's enough! I got egg crate and a spare filter bag to experiment with rock supports.
20180822_112905b.jpg

Tanks in position. Tropica substrate under the gravel and soil in the back. The rocks will sit over the join and then I'll top the soil up a bit more.
20180827_181720b.jpg

Next step is building rock support on the right, as my mock up rocks are sat on bricks at the back. I think I'm going to go for egg crate and leave it hollow for the fish to enjoy as a cave. Then I'm not losing water volume to 6" of soil. I got some pond filter grid that's got 18mm holes so they should be able to move through freely if they find any bare grid.

20180827_180010b.jpg

Be careful of “cave” structures as flow can be an issue ie stagnant water with very low oxygen levels, also debris collecting ... fish can also be also quite ingenious at getting caught up in grid work/netting :(

I’m conservative so would just fill in the space with lava type stone
or ..... nothing wrong with a brick :p

Nice cobbles :)

This is where it would fit, the back would open right next to the filter inlet (blue circle) so I think it would be ok? By 'cave', I was thinking two pillars with a flat piece on top like a table so more like a table, there would be rocks in front but the back would be open. I was thinking of leaving a gap though along the side of the glass too so I don't end up with a dead spot in the front corner. I like the idea of having the pillars sit on the base of the tank in case the substrate moves, but I could in fill that with lava rock if you think I should? Everything on my stocking plan should fit through 18mm. I've got filter bags/tights too but I was worried they'd stretch/settle on their own.

20180721_195154c.jpg

I would worry about it collapsing... not saying don't do it... just silicone it like crazy or something to be sure! Last thing you would want...

I would worry about it collapsing... not saying don't do it... just silicone it like crazy or something to be sure! Last thing you would want...

I know, that's my worry. I've constructed a box that stands by itself (with a little wobble) without glue and just super glued it. I'm going to put it in and then backfill the substrate and see how it feels. Then probably end up stuffing tights under it anyway :lol:

Thanks, very nice tank! Maybe my slope needs to lean back more? And do something along the right hand side of the glass to make it slope up and back. I've got some more gravel for graduating it - I've added it around the front and I can add more between the big rocks once I'm sure I'm not going to shuffle them again.

I think 8" deep substrate with rocks on top would worry me, I'm trying to bank it without making it completely solid.

20180829_165654b.jpg

I think 8" deep substrate with rocks on top would worry me, I'm trying to bank it without making it completely solid.
I wouldn't let it worry you...you'd be amongst good company; Amano often banked his substrate much deeper.

Wasn't it you Tam, that asked about Bonsai and aqaurium?.. Anyway, you might like this vid, i guess it doesn't realy need translation.
The scaping technique he uses might be inspirational to you. In a way it also resambles your idea in this scape a bit.. Stacking wise.

If you have questions about translation, just add the time line and ask.. I can translate if you wish.

Thanks Marcel, it wasn't me that mentioned bonsai but that's a great video for stacking rocks. His cover up of the joints was really clever. I take that was the plastic that's moldable in hot water and then superglue? I did wonder about a few blobs of silicone, it's pretty stable - they aren't going to spontaneously fall but stacking round rocks is tricky and a few will rock a bit where the surfaces don't meet completely flat.

Ah!? Ok i thought to remember a fenale member asking about bonsai and scaping i thought it was you.. And seeing this i thought this would be a handy 2 in 1 video.. :)

that was the plastic that's moldable in hot water and then superglue?

Yup you are correct. he uses Polydoo Bastelplastik and superglue.. That plastick has the advantage it cures (hardens) faster it just needs to cool.
I did simular things with using kit, effects are simmular but it takes many hours to cure..

Superb planning and execution! Following.

@zozo , your info is absolutely priceless!!!

Back