Hi, yes surface movement could be more TBH, I’ve got a powerhead pointing towards the middle front panel and the flow does go right past the area. I think I had diatoms on the sand, although that came up with a bit of siphoning .
That makes sense. Scrub it off and Syphon away. See if you can get every bit. You’ll find it will smell horrible. When smelt once you’ll be able to smell it a mile away!
Increase in oxygen seems to be the major thing. A nice ripple on the surface.
your cover may not also be helping, as it will prevent gas exchange.
Don't worry about snails walking. They often do that in a new tank and can easily live a day or 2 out of water. Once your tank settles down they’ll stop walking!
Also make sure you haven’t got the filter and powerhead fighting against each other.
Well, big water change today and I’ve dropped the light intensity down by 20%.
External filter outlets are at the back right of the tank, firing towards the surface to the left corner. Powerhead is in the left back corner facing the centre of the aquarium glass. Filter inlet is in the bottom right corner.
Might be worth experimenting with the power head direction. Face it forwards or move it to front left hand side facing a cross the front. Getting a full circular motion is what is needed. At the moment you may have a load of turbulence in the mid centre.
May also be worth changing to some glassware. The plants will appreciate the wide soft flow.
Maybe use an Eheim skim in early tank stage to assist. That and a filter c.1200 l/ph will do it,
At the risk of flogging that poor dead horse, I’ll again state the opposite - Cyanobacteria is not associated with high light levels (more the reverse actually)
Unless you’re moving that light across the tank over the photoperiod, the shade effects are going to impact plant growth more than dissuade the Cyanobacteria
And given you’re injecting CO2 and have only moderate light for that tank, why do you want to limit light?
(I’ll shut up now )
As Siege mentions, improved flow, improved oxygenation, removal (shut off the filter while cleaning up Cyanobacteria, try to directly syphon away the slime as it’s released from the rocks ... just like George in his moss trimming video (I think), also shown in Green Aqua latest video - though they had four! hands)
Cyanobacteria can release toxins so a large water change after disturbance is always recommended (& sequester oxygen)
Right going to go shopping today and buy some toothbrushes I think what I’ve done is contaminate the new tank from the old one. I had to move my old system, after which I had a huge algae bloom after the substrate had been disturbed. A week later I put a couple of small plants over from the old system into the new system. Just realised that cyanobacteria was one of the things in the old community tank. Today, I will also switch the filters over so that will give an extra 4-500 LPH and I’ve moved the power head to the front left corner facing down and across the front of the glass.
So for those first couple of weeks, I’m guessing the dirt would have been releasing plenty of things for the bacteria to live on with little to no competition.
Update, it’s been a couple of weeks and the tank has been left for the last 10 days as I’ve been away on holiday. Although somebody has been feeding the fish and putting two mil of fertiliser in a day.
I was expecting to come home to a house of horrors however all seems okay.
I did siphon a lot of the cyano off before I went and did a hydrogen peroxide spot treatment prior to the last 70% water change before I left.
Any comments, suggestions or issues spotted please let me know.
I've taken the plunge and will soon have a Twinstar 900SA unit. I've made this decision to a) help balance light intensity throughout the tank b) enable me to add the floating plants. At the moment the floaters get blown across the far left of the tank and out of any direct light. Hopefully some updated pics on Friday.
20 x glowlight tetra’s
8 x cardinal tetra’s
4 x ottos
had to trim the stem plants at the back today, a few of them were nearly 80 cm long! also removed a lot of the leaves from the sword plant on the right side as some of them were getting 50 to 60 cm long.
I have a few babies from the red cherry shrimps and another couple of them are full of eggs.
Very nice tank. And only took from September to get to this stage. Impressive. Your tank is an inspiration to what I wanna achieve with mine. Definitely going island layout. Will be keeping an eye on your progress bud