• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

90x45x45cm - 2011 IAPLC entry #577 - The Unknown Valley

Re: 90x45x45cm - The Unknown

I spent last night doing the pictures from IAPLC comp. Not completely happy with them but I think its the best I could get for now.

I used two white foam baord reflectors balanced on the front and back of the tank to make a triagle from the side. In this I had the solar 1 running as well as two flashes on both sides.

The shot was taken at 17mm on a full frame camera for all those lovers/haters of UWA :thumbup:

I had a problem with the dark area at the bottom left as the ferns shade the rock from the light/flash but Ill just have to live with that and learn for the next scape.

I had a god with a hairdryer this time as the flat calm of the water surface was too reflective so the ripples mashed that up a bit.

I also tookt he picture in a dark room, put on my black coat so there were no reflections and also turned off the co2 all day and only turned the light on 1 hour before I took the photos so as to reduce pearling. The glass was cleaned of any algae with a tetratec glass scraper and toothbrush three days before

I only wish I could post the picture :lol:

Re: 90x45x45cm - Unknown Valley

EI kit arrived today so ive mixed up 2l of macro and trace with 90ml going in per day!

Im looking forward to trying out EI. Ive got a few ideas brewing for the next scape in here too with the IAPLC photo out of the way :D

This is the tank at the moment. Eek at my filthy pipes!!

the_unknown_19.jpg

stuworrall said:
EI kit arrived today so ive mixed up 2l of macro and trace with 90ml going in per day!

What are you using as a container for your mix Stu? I'm wanting to increase the amount of mix I make as the 500ml bottles don't really last that long...

stuworrall said:

Im looking forward to trying out EI. Ive got a few ideas brewing for the next scape in here too with the IAPLC photo out of the way :D

This is the tank at the moment. Eek at my filthy pipes!!

the_unknown_19.jpg

just like a lot your shots and thanks a lto for tank setup!!!
:thumbup:

Morgan Freeman said:
It's absolutely bloody fantastic.
thanks morgan :)

Bobtastic said:
stuworrall said:

What are you using as a container for your mix Stu? I'm wanting to increase the amount of mix I make as the 500ml bottles don't really last that long...
I had 4 emplty bottles of 500ml TPN so ive done two mixes in those. As you say 90ml per day wont last long so I may try and double the dose next time so im putting in 45ml each day instead.

stuworrall said:
Bobtastic said:
stuworrall said:

I had 4 emplty bottles of 500ml TPN so ive done two mixes in those. As you say 90ml per day wont last long so I may try and double the dose next time so im putting in 45ml each day instead.

I always seem to have some undissolved crystals left over when mixing the suggested into 500ml! Atm I'm using deionised water in the mix, are you just using tap water?

Bobtastic said:
Cheers Stu, you pre-empted my next question about heating. I'll heat the water up a bit next time. :thumbup:
No probs Bob. Im assuming it is ok to heat the water as ive not read any different but I am new to EI :lol:

Some small updates on the tank.

Now that the photos have been done for IAPLC im just growing out the tank now till the next re-scape which will probably be after the wedding photog season in november ish. Ive got a few ideas for a new scape, hopefully something different again and Id like to use the manzi ive had for ages!

I changed over to EI from TPN+ about a month ago and at the moment it seems really promising. I also dropped down the flow to just the ex1200 through the lily and the hydor has been out of the tank since the IAPLC deadline.

Here are some new shots of the tank. excuse the floating pot of glosso in the background!

5931780906_43e52a8bd6_b.jpg
90x45x45cm planted tank by Stu Worrall, on Flickr

closeup of the HC and ferns

5931780778_c7b31da622_b.jpg

Rasboras in the tank

5931780464_30733e0c4c_o.jpg

5931780370_11a3b5a36a_o.jpg

some ricacardia sunbathing in the prime growing spot on the lava. Im growing it on to go in my nano

5931780260_87ee4bae9c_o.jpg

Im growing on the sp japan that ben sent me so should be able to send some around in a few months. (sp japan is on the bottom)

5931780136_99ac868a12_o.jpg

Flash setup for the shots - 580exii on a gorilla pod fired remotely and a lastolite tri-grip to diffuse the light

5931225659_aa07f04cf7_o.jpg
90x45x45cm planted tank - flash setup by Stu Worrall, on Flickr

Back