A 90cm New Beginning - Now Planted

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Arana, 27 May 2019.

1. Arana

Arana Member

So after a long break i have decide to make my come back with a band new 90cm scape, so I thought it would be a good opportunity to document the whole journey.

So today i spent a few fun hours with the guys at Aquarium Gardens, i have ordered an
    Evolution Aqua The Aquascaper 900 with a cabinet finished in Gloss Copper and left with all the necessary hardware to get the project started a Twinstar 900S for the lighting and an Oase Thermo 600 for the filtration.

I also spent some time playing with the hardscape and left with plenty of wood, rocks and substrate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also a big box of other goodies :)

[​IMG]

So now i have a week to play with the hardscape until the tank arrives and then the fun can begin :cigar:

tinthree, Ady34, TBRO and 8 others like this.
  2. oscar

oscar Member

Hi Arana,
    I have my own journal on this site “aquascaper 600” with the gloss copper cabinet...I also purchased most of my hardware from A/G.. Cabinet/ tank is very good spec for price.

Now the fun begins ;) enjoy.....

Oscar.

3. Arana

Arana Member

Thanks Oscar, off to read your journal now :thumbup:

4. Jayefc1

Jayefc1 Member

The AG guys are amazingly helpful and its plain to see you have everything you need good luck can't wait to see this started will be watching

Cheers
    Jay

howanic and Siege like this.
  5. Geoffrey Rea

Geoffrey Rea Member

Glad you got everything you needed, will be watching this one for sure :)

6. Siege

Siege Member

Looking forward to seeing it up and running.

Hope you found the pub ok.

Regards

Steven.

7. Arana

Arana Member

Yes thanks Steven, a nice beer and a dam fine fish and chips for lunch went down a treat :thumbup:

Thanks for the directions and all the help in the shop :)

Siege likes this.
  8. Siege

Siege Member

No problem at all. It was a pleasure to meet you both. :)

Pleased ‘The Three Jolly Butchers’ was good. We recommend it to anyone who asks. A nice welcoming village pub with decent food and not too expensive! (It’s our local as well!)

Dave will give you a call when your tank is in. I think the hardscape will look really good!

S.

Ady34 and Arana like this.
  9. Arana

Arana Member

So even though the tank is not here yet i figured i could still play some more with the hardscape :)

[​IMG]

Ady34 likes this.
  10. Jayefc1

Jayefc1 Member

That looks good one lil tip make sure you can get your hand all the way around nothing worse than the one spot you can get to to do maintenance properly

11. Arana

Arana Member

Yes i have made that mistake before :facepalm:
    the cardboard is cut to size of the tank so hopefully it will all fit, of course nothing will be finalised until the tank is in place, just trying out some ideas at this point. :thumbup:

[​IMG]

Jayefc1 and CooKieS like this.
  12. Jayefc1

Jayefc1 Member

Me too and it a pita Looks good though I do like the 2 island concaved look and there is plenty of room there

Arana likes this.
  13. Arana

Arana Member

So the Lighting and CO2 schedule will look something like this, still getting my head around the LED controller, all comments welcome as i am sure it will need tweaking but hopefully a good starting point.

[​IMG]

14. Jayefc1

Jayefc1 Member

Looks good to me

15. Iain Sutherland

Iain Sutherland Forum Moderator Staff Member

Looking good.
    5 hours is a long time to have your gas on before lights. 2 normally does it and a ph test will confirm where you are. It's also worth running the lights for1 or 2 hours after gas so the level drops. Also nice to have the extra viewing time :)
    I would also only run the light for 6 hours during the first month or two, helps reduce the chance of algae while the tank matures.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

16. Arana

Arana Member

Thanks Lain, I will complete a PH profile to fine tune the gas on and off schedule, previous tanks have all been 24 hour injection without any issues so this will be first for me.

17. Looneeyy

Looneeyy Member

Nice little read, can’t wait to keep hearing about it! I’m putting a list together to one day drive down and grab it all‍♂️

Arana likes this.
  18. alto

alto Member

Nice kit ;)

Your “islands” look fairly symmetrical, maybe try less symmetry as well

Consider not just hands but also syphon/vacuum access - I tend to underestimate this and end up with areas of limited access :oops:

CO2 period - observe tank for sunlight/ambient light as well as planned photoperiod
    In spring & summer one tank receives early morning sunlight, I try to have CO2 available

There are different ways to “start” plants - I prefer brighter light and shorter photoperiod (most aquarium plants come from bright light nurseries) even during plant transition to submerse culture BUT I plant heavily and include fast growing stems and I often run CO2 24/7 (lower night rate but still ensuring there’s good CO2 levels when the early morning sun arrives)
    Clithon snails usually go in at start, then shrimps for a month or so, then fish (though if I’m rescaping it often means fish go back in fairly early)

As you’re going AG style, I suggest following their methodology :)

Arana likes this.
  19. Arana

Arana Member

So i am still awaiting the tank and have been continually playing with hardscape on the living room floor. Also as i am planning to add some frosting on the rear of the tank i purchased one of those RGB LED Remote controlled strips from Amazon to see if i could get some cool effects and create a bit of back light. So it arrived and i set it up behind the TV to test it, only to discover the remote seems to be on the same frequency as the the TV remote! every time someone changes the channel on the TV the light comes on! :facepalm::lol:

20. Matt @ ScapeEasy

Matt @ ScapeEasy Member

This is a fair point. It would be worth experimenting to see if you can have one island stretching one third of the tank and the other two thirds... golden ratio esque

Arana likes this.