• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A 90cm New Beginning

Great list of plants

But ;)

I’d add some fast growing stems to the mix, eg, Tropica Auxiliary plants
(in my soft water nothing grows faster than H zosterfolia, even from the 1-2-Grow cup :wideyed: )

I recommend trimming the moss back to the wood - you can save all the trimmed bits and add elsewhere (if you want more moss on wood) as quickly shown in this GF video
(Jurijs mit JS does a more in-depth moss vid for this technique ..... one of my favourite Green Aqua video moments is when FO tells B he needs to Trim That Moss )

Apologies for all the Suggestions
Thanks I will check that video out and give the moss a trim tomorrow when I do the water change tomorrow.
I have got a couple of types of Rotala on the list for some fast growing stems but knowing me I am bound to leave the shop with more than I ordered next Friday :)

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Not much to report, been doing daily water changes and counting the days until i can go and collect the plants from @Aquarium Gardens on Friday.
The only issue i have is i am not convince the heater in the Biomaster Thermo 600 is working, it has been running for a few days set at 24, calibrated to +3 and so far it has not managed to heat the tank to more than 21. also the filter head seems really loud to me, only a hum but loader than anything else i have heard before. i will suffer it until i can stick my head in one of the cabinets at AG on Friday to see if theirs are running any quieter.

Last edited:
If you purchased your Biomaster Thermo 600 from AG I’d take the heater along for them to test/replace ... even if you purchased elsewhere I suspect they would be happy enough to test for you (humming is quick, heating efficiency is longer obviously)
At any rate if this is the only heater you have for the tank, I’d keep a replacement on hand (though perhaps you keep your home rather warmer ;))
Heater humming is a new one for me, I’ve yet to notice an audible hum from from my assortment of mostly Eheim/Jager heaters...

If you purchased your Biomaster Thermo 600 from AG I’d take the heater along for them to test/replace ... even if you purchased elsewhere I suspect they would be happy enough to test for you (humming is quick, heating efficiency is longer obviously)
At any rate if this is the only heater you have for the tank, I’d keep a replacement on hand (though perhaps you keep your home rather warmer ;))
Heater humming is a new one for me, I’ve yet to notice an audible hum from from my assortment of mostly Eheim/Jager heaters...

Sorry, i didn't make that clear, the loud humming is from the filter head itself not the heater (have edited original post to make that clearer), loud enough to have to turn the TV up to drown it out! :banghead:

:lol: I did wonder if it must be the filter :D

Definitely bring it along for them to test - that’s crazy noise level

(I’d’ve returned it after the first 24h ... in my experience filters go on as they begin - recalcitrant starters always turned out to be problematic filters (until I finally disowned them))

Hi,

Are you sure the flow is on ‘full’?

Tilt the filter to get out trapped air and make sure the filter is at its optimum flow. Turning it all off and opening the prefilter will also release any trapped air.

This will explain both issues!

Ps. Also check that your heater isn’t cracked/smashed. If it is take it with you to the shop.

Hi,

Are you sure the flow is on ‘full’?

Tilt the filter to get out trapped air and make sure the filter is at its optimum flow. Turning it all off and opening the prefilter will also release any trapped air.

This will explain both issues!

Ps. Also check that your heater isn’t cracked/smashed. If it is take it with you to the shop.

Yes i have purged all the air and i have really good flow, also just noticed a lot of vibration on the out flow pipe, not sure if that is normal or not?

Tank looks really good mate and that is a plant list of all plant list some beautiful plants on it cant wait to see it planted

Cheers
Jay

Yes i have purged all the air and i have really good flow, also just noticed a lot of vibration on the out flow pipe, not sure if that is normal or not?

Have a play with it this week. If you aren’t happy or unsure bring it with you when you come on Friday and we’ll set it up and see what’s going on!

S.

Ps. Check to see if there is any media stuck or if it’s the tubing vibrating on the cabinet (that would be odd to be that loud though!).

So more fun and games with the filter tonight, as advised while the filter was off during the water change i checked to see if i could see any broken glass or anything obviously wrong with the heater. Everything looked fine and its still not heating so i just think it's a faulty one.

Then...

I thought i would make the pipes longer as they were quite tight with not a lot of room for manoeuvre on them and i have plenty spare, so i replaced them for slightly longer ones and when i powered the filter back up it definitely sounded quieter. I don't know if it was the pipes vibrating on the cabinet or something wasn't seated right and it was then fixed when i removed the head to check the heater but it was definitely quieter.

But Then...

As usual i gave the the filter a little shake to remove any trapped air and suddenly what looked like Purigen started pouring out of the lilly pipe and settling all over the tank! :banghead:

20190618_200736_zpsko1njoxy.jpg

My first thought was the bag had split or it had come undone but when i removed it and checked it looked fine, but there must be a small hole in it somewhere as i have now removed it and replaced the space in the tray with some floss and all is fine again. I have been using Purigen for years and never had that happen before.

So tomorrow i will siphon as much of it back out as i can but there will be some mixed in with the sand, does anyone know if that will be safe to fish and shrimp should they ingest it or do i now need to rip out all the sand and replace it? Any advice appreciated.

Thanks for reading, i need a beer now :(

Oh the trials and tribulations of a aquascapers driving us to beer
I dont know if it will harm the fish but its probs best to get it out as it will go dirty pretty fast so easier to do know before plants go in at the weekend (by weekend I mean Friday as soon as you get home from AG lol)
Cheers
Jay

Oh the trials and tribulations of a aquascapers driving us to beer
I dont know if it will harm the fish but its probs best to get it out as it will go dirty pretty fast so easier to do know before plants go in at the weekend (by weekend I mean Friday as soon as you get home from AG lol)
Cheers
Jay

Yes, you are right jay, it wont take much to replace the sand while the tank is drained down for planting, better safe than sorry i guess.

Yeah mate and purigin get really.dirty in the filter so will collect the dirty in the tank and I'd be gutted for you if it makes a mess mate

Cheers
Jay

The purigen itself is likely shrimp and fish safe
Shrimp may clean it, they won’t eat it
Fish may mouth it but again are unlikely to actually eat it

Obviously vacuum out as much as possible - it’s not highly rated as an aesthetic addition - but I’d not worry over the odd bit left behind (I’d just stir in under :oops: ... though if it’s going to keep surfacing in the sand I might consider replacing the sand ;) )

Funnily enough I also gave a filter a shake last night & this flakey cr*p blasted out of the lily pipe and all over my very clean rescape :eek: :banghead:

Yeah mate and purigin get really.dirty in the filter so will collect the dirty in the tank and I'd be gutted for you if it makes a mess mate

Cheers
Jay
The purigen itself is likely shrimp and fish safe
Shrimp may clean it, they won’t eat it
Fish may mouth it but again are unlikely to actually eat it

Obviously vacuum out as much as possible - it’s not highly rated as an aesthetic addition - but I’d not worry over the odd bit left behind (I’d just stir in under :oops: ... though if it’s going to keep surfacing in the sand I might consider replacing the sand ;) )

Funnily enough I also gave a filter a shake last night & this flakey cr*p blasted out of the lily pipe and all over my very clean rescape :eek: :banghead:
The purigen will look unsightly in the tank but completely shrimp etc safe.

You could argue that it’ll do a better job when in the the tank :lol:

Thanks for the support guys, i have siphoned it out today and will replace the sand during planting at the weekend :thumbup:

The plants have landed thanks to @Aquarium Gardens as usual, the final revised and expanded list, ended up like this ;)

Planting and photos to commence tomorrow :thumbup:

Bolbitis Difformis Linea
Anubias mini mini
Bucephalandra Biblis
Vesicularia ferriei
Christmas Moss
Bucephalandra Wavy Green
Bucephalandra Red
Bucephalandra Sintang
Bucephalandra sp. Lamandau Mini Red
Bucephalandra Theia
Microsorum pteropus Trident
Rotala Green
Cryptocoryne Petchii
Lilaeopsis brasiliensis
Micranthemum Monte Carlo
Hydrocotyle tripartita 'Japan'
Cryptocoryne Costata
Rotala wallichii
Lagenandra meeboldii Red
ANUBIAS NANA BONSAI
Anubias Pangolino
Rotala Vietnam H'ra
Bolbitis heudelotii
Hygrophila pinnatifida
Cryptocoryne Pygmaea
Plagiomnium cf. Affine (Pearl Moss)
Javafern Windelov
Riccardia chamedryfolia Pad (Coral Moss, Mini Pellia)
ADA Crypt Pink Panther
ADA Crypt Wedtii M'Oya
ADA Hydrocotyle tripartita Mini
Hygrophila Araguaia

Wow that is a awsome list mate hope you have nothing planned for a whole day or have you already started lol

Cheers
Jay

Back