• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A challenge: break these 3 aquascaping rules with a great tank

Are these rules helpful or annoying?

• Total voters
The people you mention never came to argue about art in here or in ASW. You did.
Condescending...? So, how about I put aside everything I am. Call my self stupid and crowl in your feet? Would this be less condescending?
it would be a start wouldn't it :crazy: just messing aquadream, guys i would really like to see this thread get back on track, it is IMO a really helpful guide for newcomers to the hobby or those which have less natural instincts for aquascaping like me ;)

i would really like to see this thread get back on track, it is IMO a really helpful guide for newcomers to the hobby or those which have less natural instincts for aquascaping like me ;)

Aquadream, could you explain how you think your scape works in detail? Would be very helpful for everyone - and different perspectives useful! (Agree red arrows very controversial - these are just where my eyes are drawn, nothing more, which is I think part of the whole skill of it).

Aquadream, could you explain how you think your scape works in detail? Would be very helpful for everyone - and different perspectives useful! (Agree red arrows very controversial - these are just where my eyes are drawn, nothing more, which is I think part of the whole skill of it).
Sure Mike. Here it is.
The basic "geometry" in my last scape is based on perspective lines against straight horizon line. I personally consider this to be the most pure and natural form of perspective in an image that does not look over exaggerated and does not contain specific shapes like paths, river banks etc meant to enhance the perspective impression.
This is of course my preference in achieving perspective. There are many other ways to do so.
I also use the comparative method between larger forms in front and smaller at the back. A common way to do perspective.
Another method that I used in this scape is relatively sharp transition between shadow and highlight that can be seen in the central part of the scape.
It is also very easy way to get good impression of depth and perspective that I have seen other aquascapers to use. It enhances greatly the impression of space in the layout.
Group 2, which is relatively dark is exactly next to the light open part of the scape that is close enough to the Golden Ratio, but not exactly on top of it.
The use of straight horizon line as perspective control in an image delivers wider and brooder space and perspective impression than the cone cave style as the cone cave is a perspective form that describes in general case a smaller spaces in nature like canyons, caves, hills that are close by etc.
Straight horizon line suggests vast amount of space, therefore much deeper image impression that does not need any obvious enhansmets. Of course in aquarium this is very limited. Not any close to nature it self.

Of course folks can manage to apply all sorts of other rules. However non of them were intended in this aquascape.
Anotherdayinparadise-perspective_zps21df366a.jpg

Small amendment. Where I mention Group 2, I intended to mention Group 1. For some reason I can not edit the original post.

This is why I like this thread, looking at mikes grids and lines plus your diagram above really shows why this scape and no doubt many others work, they don't conform to the rules perfectly but for me it helps to show what makes a good scape :) if I'm honest though and it is just what I think or my opinion this and many other overscaped tanks are really not my thing (sorry) i think that's where personal taste and perspective comes into play.there is no denying plant health, composition, photography all amazing so please don't take offence for me it's just not quite natural

This is why I like this thread, looking at mikes grids and lines plus your diagram above really shows why this scape and no doubt many others work, they don't conform to the rules perfectly but for me it helps to show what makes a good scape :) if I'm honest though and it is just what I think or my opinion this and many other overscaped tanks are really not my thing (sorry) i think that's where personal taste and perspective comes into play.there is no denying plant health, composition, photography all amazing so please don't take offence for me it's just not quite natural

No ofense Tim. It is not natural, because it was not intended to be. The name of the scape is "Another day in paradise". That denotes surreal imaginery elements in the art work.

I think your scape is truly inspirational mate, you push the boundaries to the extreme and its paid off ten fold. :) I agree that its interesting seeing different people analyzed the same scape. this shows different views and different focal points. Im going to disagree with tim and say that scapes like this are what I search the internet for :) sorry tim :) I do love the natural tank but the tank featured above by aquascape is truly magic!

I think the way Aquadream has drawn on the image would be the exact same way I would of done it. may I would of numbered them differently according to focal importance. But this is preference once again :) How long did you keep the tank Aqua dream? how long did it take for you to achieve this?

I think your scape is truly inspirational mate, you push the boundaries to the extreme and its paid off ten fold. :) I agree that its interesting seeing different people analyzed the same scape. this shows different views and different focal points. Im going to disagree with tim and say that scapes like this are what I search the internet for :) sorry tim :) I do love the natural tank but the tank featured above by aquascape is truly magic!

I think the way Aquadream has drawn on the image would be the exact same way I would of done it. may I would of numbered them differently according to focal importance. But this is preference once again :) How long did you keep the tank Aqua dream? how long did it take for you to achieve this?
Thanks Jack.
The numbering I did was only to assist the explanation. It was not intended to show order of focal points, because that would be a bit subjective to whom may be looking at the aquascape.
I have been bubbling on this scape for almost 7 months before this picture.

Aquadream,
I like your scape , but I must confess that unless I try very hard,,,,All that my eye's are drawn to ,,are the tall green pipe cleaner looking stem's protruding from the scape.

Aquadream,
I like your scape , but I must confess that unless I try very hard,,,,All that my eye's are drawn to ,,are the tall green pipe cleaner looking stem's protruding from the scape.
I didn't mean to spell charms with sticks on you mate.:lol:

Back