• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: A Chocolate Puddle Now with Chocolates

I'm seriously contemplating putting in Celestial pearl danios as I think they'd add colour to this. Any thoughts???

I inherited Georges, they are pretty special fish, but very shy, they would love it in your amazing tank.

glad you got some more choccos as i know you love those :D

really jealous of the flowers on the echinodorous, that looks really good mate. well, the whole tank looks really good! :thumbup:

do you know anything about the grade of the CBS? im guessing youve got them in by now?

Alastair said:
sr20det said:
How comes you are removing the corrys? I would have thought they would be ideal for a shallow tank? I read through the thread a while back, but remmeber you mentioning you wanting to add them.

They are ideal but the idea of the organic waste helping to fertilise the plants is going to pot as the corys are just constantly disturbing the substrate and kicking dust off it on the plants. I will keep a few but I have an excessive amount in here at present.
Thought about Pygmy or Dwarf Corries, too small to create any significant disturbances I would have thought?

Antipofish said:
That rotala is amazing Alastair ! I think this is turning into something really special mate :thumbup:

Cheers Chris, the rotala does, or DID look really lush but its had an enormous haircut today and trimmings sent off to mr westwood. Itll probabaly grow back twice as thick though now :rolleyes:

xtevo said:
I rarely comment to ukaps, but I can't go away without writing down this is a beauty, and keep up good work mate! It will be more awesome by time. :thumbup:
That my friend ill take as a mahoosive compliment then thank you

foxfish said:
Did you use any type soil or just ADA substrate?
Hiya matey, just a wee bit of john innes no3, and i mean a little bit, topped with a pond aquasoil then capped with columbo florabase with a helping of the Ada Amazonia new for good measure (only becuase the hose had gotten loose and blown a hole through all the layers so had to recap sort of.

tim said:
alastair this is rivaling toms bucket and that is my all time favourite journal on ukaps do you think this could be set up on a nano scale for croacking gouramies around 50 liters ?

:shh: dont tell Tom that ha ha, Thanks Tim thats really given me a boost, its a long way off Toms by a long shot but id let to get their someday. Im dreading the day it all gets put into a bigger puddle!!
Toms is my all time fave too hence this tank. I think you could easily set up this on a smaller scale, youd need much smaller riparium/marginal plants, maybe cyperus helferi as an emerged variety???

Quetzalcoatl said:
Blimey mate, things are really taking off. I`ve only been away a couple of weeks and the tanks gone mental. :wideyed: How long has it been set up now? :thumbup:
:lol: :lol: I know mate tell me about it, its like having co2 in this thing. Sort of, just plants dont look as filled out as they would co2, the crypts for instance are much shorter than a co2 tank but compared to how it looked a few weeks back its great. This on a bigger scale is going to be a challenge!

Polyester said:
Omg....just keeps getting better Alastair... :woot:

Thanks mate, im amazed how much people like it :D

Troi said:
I'm seriously contemplating putting in Celestial pearl danios as I think they'd add colour to this. Any thoughts???

I inherited Georges, they are pretty special fish, but very shy, they would love it in your amazing tank.

ill definitely be getting some CPD's but will wait until i get the monster puddle, as i dont want to overload with fish plus ive got some liquorice gouramis to go in before them.

MisterB said:
glad you got some more choccos as i know you love those :D

really jealous of the flowers on the echinodorous, that looks really good mate. well, the whole tank looks really good! :thumbup:

do you know anything about the grade of the CBS? im guessing youve got them in by now?

Cheers mate, me too, soooo tiny but i love them, the bigger the group the better they interact around the tank and really take their place in their.
ermmmm shrimp wise i wouldnt have a clue mate, im not so up on the fancy shrimp, the black on them has a tint of purple/red in it, and now on day two of them and the white is looking much brighter ( when i can see them). The cherries and amanos are out all the time since the cbs went in, one of the cherries is super red, looks great. When i can get a good pic of the shrimp ill pop them up then maybe someone could grade them, im not too fussed as i didnt pay for them :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

sr20det said:
Alastair said:
sr20det said:
How comes you are removing the corrys? I would have thought they would be ideal for a shallow tank? I read through the thread a while back, but remmeber you mentioning you wanting to add them.

They are ideal but the idea of the organic waste helping to fertilise the plants is going to pot as the corys are just constantly disturbing the substrate and kicking dust off it on the plants. I will keep a few but I have an excessive amount in here at present.
Thought about Pygmy or Dwarf Corries, too small to create any significant disturbances I would have thought?
yes you read my mind, theyll be something ill look into getting when i go bigger

BigTom said:
tim said:
alastair this is rivaling toms bucket

Uh oh, guess I'd better get my act together and do some updates :lol:

Alistair, have you tried pruning the Cyperus to hell and back? It's growing so well I'd just be really brutal and lop off any stems that get taller than you want them.

:lol: Tom its miles and about ermmmm ten months of your yet by a long shot lol. I have given the cyperus a prune, but since lowering the caddies to almost the bottom of the tank the stems are coming through much thicker and theyre opening out much shorter so maybe theyre adapting to having their root ball fully submersed??? I think ill get the machete out this weekend and hack through most of it???

Im really tempted to put all 4 tubes on as it looks amazing with them on but fear ill be cleaning off algae for a long time if i do with the tank being so shallow :(

Oh wow,...this tank just keeps getting better & better. Alastair,...can i ask you why you chose to go with just a small amount of John Inns?

A Chocolate Puddle Now with Chocolates

faizal said:
Oh wow,...this tank just keeps getting better & better. Alastair,...can i ask you why you chose to go with just a small amount of John Inns?

Hi faizal, thanks mate it is beginning to take shape slowly. I'm really enjoying it.

Yes, the reason why I only used a small amount was based on a discussion I was having with Bigtom, chocolate gouramis need very soft acid water to do well, and a low ph. John innes contains lime which hardens the water and raises ph. If it hadn't been for Tom telling me this I'd never had known.
I ran a test a few weeks prior to my tank arriving, filled a jar with some John innes and topped with water and left for a week. My Tap water has a general hardness of 4, and ph of 7, the test tub turned out to raise the gh to 14 or 15 off the top of my head and ph to 8. My chocolate gouramis wouldn't have faired well at all. With small regular water changes I suppose the gh could be Managable. Most other fish I suppose would do well.
That's why I opted to add the pond aqua soil ontop which contains no lime at all and when I tested it it had no effect on gh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stunning mate, good on ya :thumbup: . The emersed plant growth look great. I bet those baby Choco's are loving the surroundings as well. You going to attempt to breed those Choco's?

A Chocolate Puddle Now with Chocolates

WabiKasuH20Fall said:
Stunning mate, good on ya :thumbup: . The emersed plant growth look great. I bet those baby Choco's are loving the surroundings as well. You going to attempt to breed those Choco's?

Thanks mate, I think the emersed section will look a bit more complete once the echinodorus throws up a few more leaves above the water. It's all having a big hack this weekend though.

The chocco's are loving it. I've already seen some breeding behaviour between a couple of the bigger ones already so I'm hoping they do breed. Water stats are perfect for them and they get lots of live food too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another update again :rolleyes: , too much spare time on my hands.

The tanks coming along very smoothly, all 13 choccos are shoaling together and loving their home, its been really hard to get some pics of them though, especially with my iphone so the following i apologise for the lack of clarity.

a few of the adults and a couple of the smaller ones underneath
7468311716_42b8193077_b.jpg
Untitled by Mr-T-, on Flickr

and the babies chasing each other
7468314102_2b3aec8416_b.jpg

and a teeny one
7440880888_79d9208af6_b.jpg

Ive just added ten pharosphromenus (licorice Gourami) but unsure of the exact species and being very young they need to colour up first but there are a few undescribed species which are just named by something relevant to something nearby from where they are caught etc, but these could possibly be Sematon or Sentang but i couldnt say as yet but even so they are looking lovely and very much up in top place with my choccos i think.........possibly
7467219508_3a40fe1fb6_b.jpg

and couldnt resist snapping this pic
7467226852_27312f1d42_b.jpg

Mr amano giving his workers their cleaning orders :lol: i thought it was quite funny myself

so in total fauna wise there are
13 Sphaerichthys osphromenoides - choccos
10 unnamed licorice Gouramis
10 cherrys
15 Crystal black shrimp.
1 otto
7 Amano's
and a couple of albino corys left from the millions i rehomed.

Tank is having a big haircut this wekend, mainly the emmersed section, and have some ideas to change it slightly but still thinking about it. A few pics of how it looks now

7467233718_907fb7116f_b.jpg
7467235974_6851022fac_b.jpg

and finally
7443977628_2e5f693f97_b.jpg

would be curious to see how this goes with co2 added but keep telling myself nope nope nope its just not happening.
ive also wondered, would adding purigen in this tank with it being au natural affect it in anyway, i know it removes organic compounds but dont the low tech tanks rely on these for fertilising the plants so would purigen in theory be a negative addition??? Not that i will be adding, but just curious. Anyone???

It's looking great Alastair well done mate! It reminds me of a pond but an indoor pond :thumbup:
How many litres is this tank?

Matty1983 said:
It's looking great Alastair well done mate! It reminds me of a pond but an indoor pond :thumbup:
How many litres is this tank?
Cheers Matt, bit of a break from the co2 norm, the low techs taken me over, ermmm i think its about 270 litres mate

Re: A Chocolate Puddle Now with Chocolates+new friends pg 13

Its really nice, at least it grows slower being low tech so it's not as much maintenance for you. I would love to have a low tech tank but I would miss all the tweaking and maintenance :lol:

How dare you grow such a fantastic low-energy tank, I am sure you can get arrested for that sort of thing, at least there should be some sort of law against it, with a fine or community service, or something! :lol:

Alastair said:
would be curious to see how this goes with co2 added but keep telling myself nope nope nope its just not happening.
ive also wondered, would adding purigen in this tank with it being au natural affect it in anyway, i know it removes organic compounds but dont the low tech tanks rely on these for fertilising the plants so would purigen in theory be a negative addition??? Not that i will be adding, but just curious. Anyone???

Yeah,...with the kind of nice growth that you're having & considering that it's low tech,...it's not worth adding co2. I DO however understand the temptation perfectly well :lol:

For what it's worth though mate,..I have been running my son's tank with some purigen stuffed in a sock & had it placed in the HOB filter,...& there's no issues so far. It's low tech & we have cabombas growing nicely in it putting out roots ( I've never had such luck before)

Your tank's amazing. :D

The blue on the Licorice gourami's fins looks great such strong colour already.

I love "the meeting of the shrimp" photo :lol:

Andy

Matty1983 said:
Its really nice, at least it grows slower being low tech so it's not as much maintenance for you. I would love to have a low tech tank but I would miss all the tweaking and maintenance :lol:

I wouldn't ! :twisted: My bloody staurogyne, which was looking smashing, all melted due to me knocking the needle valve and lowering the CO2 injection, not noticed for 4/5 days by which time 70% of the leaves had floated off the plants :rolleyes: . Just spent 2 hours pulling it out, stripping each stem down to the top two leaves and replanting :sick: . Having said that, I like the toys too much :shh:

Alastair, it amazes me that a low tech tank can look so damned HIGH tech in quality. Congrats mate, I am loving watching this progress :thumbup:

loving it mate, it really is a tank to be proud of. and the fact its low tech makes me love it even more.
the new fish are a nice addition, and that picture of the shrimp ordering the workers is good :D clean up crew away!!!
i really need to come back down and take a look at the progress, it looks like its moved on loads sinse last time.

hope all is well with you and that, keep up the good work.

sarahtermite said:
This is a very special tank, looks ace. I love the pics of your chocs, but your comment about the shrimps did make me laugh :lol:

Feels special too thanks, much more natural. I actually have the shrimp meeting blown up as my screen saver on my laptop ha ha.

Troi said:
How dare you grow such a fantastic low-energy tank, I am sure you can get arrested for that sort of thing, at least there should be some sort of law against it, with a fine or community service, or something! :lol:
:lol: guilty as charged, I think my time in hospital can be classed as community service. :thumbup: this tank has exceeded my expectations in the short space of time it's been running. I really really have fallen in love with it.
Coming back to the tank after being back in and it has grown in alot. Thanks tim I really appreciate it being called fantastic!
awtong said:
The blue on the Licorice gourami's fins looks great such strong colour already.

I love "the meeting of the shrimp" photo :lol:

Andy
Thanks andy, the licorice gouramis are getting much deeper in colour now with one or two being very colourful, alpha males I think but can I get a snap of them??? Pffft there too quick and very camera shy

Antipofish said:
Alastair, it amazes me that a low tech tank can look so damned HIGH tech in quality. Congrats mate, I am loving watching this progress :thumbup:

Thanks Chris I'm impressed it has that affect.

Just want to thank all for such positive comments, and after having been back in hospital again, coming back I decided to make some changes to the tank. The cyperus just was too much. Will be updating with how it now looks very soon, with it's new shrubbery transplanted from 'the bucket mud' from Tom. :thumbup: The tank looks conpletely different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back