• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Status
Not open for further replies.
whichever you get... I think they are called ponds!

Hi Alastair,
Not been on here for while. Great final photos!
Did you come to a decision on lighting for the new project???
I sent you an email by the way.
Cheers
Gavin

Gfish said:
Hi Alastair,
Not been on here for while. Great final photos!
Did you come to a decision on lighting for the new project???
I sent you an email by the way.
Cheers
Gavin

Thanks mate, I kinda really don't want to take this down as its such a joy to sit with my feet up on the dining table and state into alllllll night. I don't even watch tv now ha ha.

Yes the lighting I'm going for 20-25 gu10 fittings with a mixture of megamans and 3x3 Cree LEDs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks jojo and pancho, I'm going to miss this once its stripped down. It's not going to happen for a few weeks yet though whilst I build my light rig etc.

Took a trip out with Westy yesterday to some local aquatic stores, helped mike pic a gorgeous piece of Redmoor for his rescape, and also found two HUGE pieces of branched driftwood for my tank that even the store thought they'd priced up wrong (too cheap ha ha) so I've just put a deposit down to hold them over Xmas.
Tanks all set in motion now too but will be back end of January for it to arrive so gives me plenty of time to slowly catch the fish and zillions of shrimp and take out the plants etc.
i also purchased a blue neon goby whilst we were out and he's loving the puddle so will get one or two more when the new one is set up.
Ill try to record a video of this tank and put it together with some music ( if I can work it out).

New tank size by the way will be 120cmx120cmx40cm height. I think that's a sensible ish size for the next one anyway.
if I move again in the next year ill go as big as possible but I do need to keep room for a dining table atleast ha ha

Ill try to record a video of this tank and put it together with some music ( if I can work it out).

You should commission Mark Evans to come and photograph and video this beauty for you professionally, its worth having a quality video to look back on as its been such a triumph!
Cheerio,
Ady.

I have been away for a while and just caught back up with this journal. Such a masterpiece congratulations! My 450l Vision is now in my new house in its new position looking really unloved. Looking at this has helped me to start considering the re-scape, after the move everything just got chucked in although all the fish made it. Thanks for the shot of inspiration!

Andy

You should commission Mark Evans to come and photograph and video this beauty for you professionally, its worth having a quality video to look back on as its been such a triumph!
Cheerio,
Ady.

Thanks ady, I would consider that seriously before I strip it but for some unknown reason in the last 3 days literally EVERY single one of my crypt species has decided to melt into nothing so the tank looks awful now. I'm gutted too as I was about to start taking out the plants slowly.
All stats are the same no ammonia spikes or changes in gh kh or ph. I'm at a loss. They were huge too :(
All I've done is add another filter on to the tank to cycle to help with the fish storage tubs ill be using but this has less flow than the current filter so can't see it being this

Thanks ady, I would consider that seriously before I strip it but for some unknown reason in the last 3 days literally EVERY single one of my crypt species has decided to melt into nothing so the tank looks awful now. I'm gutted too as I was about to start taking out the plants slowly.
All stats are the same no ammonia spikes or changes in gh kh or ph. I'm at a loss. They were huge too :(
All I've done is add another filter on to the tank to cycle to help with the fish storage tubs ill be using but this has less flow than the current filter so can't see it being this

total bummer....I know how you feel as crypts used to cause me trouble, and still do. From the issues I had and, subsequent research, i found they don't like change in co2, and although you don't run it I'd guess that your second filter has altered distribution around them sufficiently for them to sulk. In my opinion they are one of the most susceptible plants to fluctuating/changing co2 as they react so strongly. Has your second filter been positioned to break the water surface at all, or have you altered your lighting recently?

total bummer....I know how you feel as crypts used to cause me trouble, and still do. From the issues I had and, subsequent research, i found they don't like change in co2, and although you don't run it I'd guess that your second filter has altered distribution around them sufficiently for them to sulk. In my opinion they are one of the most susceptible plants to fluctuating/changing co2 as they react so strongly. Has your second filter been positioned to break the water surface at all, or have you altered your lighting recently?

Not altered anything at all matey other than the addition of the jbl 700 but the outlet is well under the water surface and only on a gentle flow...
Right before I needed the crypts for my bigger project too :(

hey al, the crypt's root mass should still be ok so planting the crown of the plants with a little root but no leaf should kick them back into action after a week or two. Ive always found crypts to be hardy, just the leaves that are sensitive to change. Ive certainly had plants pop up from tiny bits of leafless crown, but maybe i have magic water :cool:
If the roots have melted then its a dead loss which would be a real shame for you just before planting.
All the best, look forward to seeing the chocolate pond.

New tank size by the way will be 120cmx120cmx40cm height. I think that's a sensible ish size for the next one anyway.
if I move again in the next year ill go as big as possible but I do need to keep room for a dining table atleast ha ha

Alistair, come on im telling you now, you are going to wish you went bigger. Seriously, you are doing what I did.

I dont say this often, but I love those chocolates of yours. I want em. I wish. They wont work with rainbowfish, but they are on of my favourate fish. I hope you breed and raise some.

Licorice and chocolates are the way foreward.

Oh and hurry up :p , this is an exciting build. Cant wait, but seriously I think you should have gone bigger. You know the square tank in TGM is 5x5 and you wont have issue they have with the 30" height.

Dining tables... pfft waste of precious space...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back