• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A clear mind

Danny

Well after a few failed scapes now and a ridicules battle with algae I "THINK" I have got my mind around a few things and have something I can push forward with......

Anyone that has followed any of my previous attempts will know how indecisive I am especially when it comes to scaping with stone! Well after quite a lot of playing over the last couple of weeks which included a mallet and chisel I finally came up with something I liked and wanted to use.

It just happened to come at the same time as my last straw was being burned with the previous scape, I won't go into details with my own personal opinion on what was going so wrong however I have changed everything I believe played a part in the downfall of the previous scape.

Faults I have picked out with the previous attempt are mainly down to excess nutrients but also the impact of the natural light that hits the tank, co2 has been adjusted to account for the natural light and I have removed the ADA aqua soil amazonia.

In the process of cleaning the tank I broke one of my glass lilly pipes which is still to be replaced, I am also considering a carpet of HC Cuba or just sporadic mini HG. Not sure yet, just going to see how this grows in and go from there.

If I do not go with the carpet idea I will thin the front of the gravel to create more of a gradient affect.

SO, here I go again.

Tank: TMC Signature 600x450x300
Light: ADA Aquasky 601, 6hrs; 4pm - 10pm
Filter: Eheim 2213 external
Heater: Hydor 300w inline
Circulation: additional 300lph pump
Substrate: Hugo Kamishi quartz light gravel
Decor: Seiryu Stone
Ferts: TNC complete 3ml daily, TNC lco2 2ml daily
Co2: Yes inline diffuser, 7am - 7pm
Plants:
  • Alternanthera Reineckii ''Mini
  • Juncus Repens
  • Dwarf hair grass

As ever thoughts, suggestions and opinions welcome.

6.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

Last edited:
A beautifully well done hardscape nearly ruined with poor planting and glary substrate. Sorry to say :/ why did you drop aquasoil for an inert substrate??

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

A beautifully well done hardscape nearly ruined with poor planting and glary substrate. Sorry to say :/ why did you drop aquasoil for an inert substrate??

Thanks for the comment on the hard scape, I am really pleased with it.

I have pretty much just gone with what I think looks nice rather than trying to stick to the rules and create just another Iwagumi which I have not been able to do so far anyway, now I have the hardscape I have the potential to change the planting etc in future if I decide I want to go down the more traditional route.

From everything I gather plants do not actually need a nutrient rich substrate when co2 and ferts are being used on the tank, the problems I have had with it made the decision to swap it out very easy too.

I did not plan this so just worked with what I had apart from a quick trip to the LFS where I got the java fern and I think Bacopa Sp but not sure on that, I have spent so much time racking my brain on how to create the "perfect" aquascape that it has pretty much destroyed all attempts at it so this more relaxed one is nice and refreshing at the moment.

Thanks for the comment on the hard scape, I am really pleased with it.

I have pretty much just gone with what I think looks nice rather than trying to stick to the rules and create just another Iwagumi which I have not been able to do so far anyway, now I have the hardscape I have the potential to change the planting etc in future if I decide I want to go down the more traditional route.

From everything I gather plants do not actually need a nutrient rich substrate when co2 and ferts are being used on the tank, the problems I have had with it made the decision to swap it out very easy too.

I did not plan this so just worked with what I had apart from a quick trip to the LFS where I got the java fern and I think Bacopa Sp but not sure on that, I have spent so much time racking my brain on how to create the "perfect" aquascape that it has pretty much destroyed all attempts at it so this more relaxed one is nice and refreshing at the moment.
I appreciate people that suit themselves. I am also the type that does not necessarly enjoy following rules, but I've come to realize that some rules are simply there to please the eye and balance things visually, not just some elitest group dictating what you can and can't do :)

You've definitely created an iwagumi hardscape, which looks great. I would recommend just planting tall plants around the tall hardscape pieces and short near short so that pleasing details are not hidden. And don't forget to dose macros! Best of luck

Hi all,I think you need something to diffuse the light until the plants have grown in. I know they aren't to every-ones taste but floating plants are really good for this, mainly because they aren't CO2 limited.

cheers Darrel
I have electrical tape over about half of the led's to reduce the intensity, on the external plastic splash cover.

Day 7, I'm not really paying much attention to the tank. Daily dosing and one 30% water change done that's it, leaving it to just do it's own thing really and see how it pans out with my changes to previous scapes.

I do have a future plan set in my mind of how it will be planted at some point, for now it's just cruising along.
20180213_214451.jpg

This has been ticking over nicely now since I made the changes, no hair algae not a single strand! No algae on the plants in the slightest!

A tad on the Seriyu which is to be expected, I've decided to start the transition on this to compliment the hardscape and have ordered some Juncus Repens and Dwarf Hairgrass which will be here tomorrow.

Plants arrived in grear shape and time from Aqua Essentials and are in, big fan of the Juncus.

I'm still not really doing much with it in terms of plants so will let these do their thing for a while before I take another look into what direction I go with it.
20180222_173039.jpg

Last edited:
I've been toying with the idea on a glass outpipe with surface skimmer to replace the eheim plastic and also removing the extra pump but still not decided on either yet, the thought of a carpet is also in the back of my mind.
20180222_173719.jpg

Well nothing much to report, dosing 2ml TNC liquid carbon and 2ml TNC complete ferts daily in the morning. Co2 7am-7pm 4bps, lights adjusted for natural light to now 4pm-10pm.

All just floating along while I play with ideas in my mind with what to do next.
20180226_192915.jpg
20180226_193209.jpg

Finally made the decision to order the glass surface skimmer from Aquarium Gardens, I've been needing to replace the broken glass out pipe for a while now and had the skimmer in the back of my mind so looking forward to getting it, another couple of plants also ordered.

I've got quite a good vision of the direction the tank is heading now so hopefully will be able to get it so, I've learned that jumping in with both feet just doesn't work. I've taken this one slow and steady with small changes here and there and now feel like I'm working with a set direction and Vision.

Time will tell but so far everything is on track and working nicely.

Little bit of a swap around to free up the space for the plants on order, Hydrocotyle tripartita Japan to go infront of and around the main stone and Ludwigia Palustris for the back next to the AR mini for a bit more colour.

Still considering filling in the front with dwarf hair grass but not sure yet.

20180301_204209.jpg

Last edited:
looks like the planting is starting to organize itself better. I'd persinalky move the red plant out of the corner for astetics

Im considering swapping the AR and Juncus but not sure yet, the Ludwigia Palustris will be going to the left of the AR in the gap at the moment. I could end up with them both where the Juncus is after a while.

Just noticed some of the dwarf hair grass is already sending out runners, could have been one I replanted yesterday which is why they are above the substrate and I hadn't noticed before.

Pretty pleased it's growing so well already after only 7 days.

20180302_110334.jpg

Back