• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A different approach - Algae improvement with low light

Re: A different approach - DIY ADA Light done :D

James Marshall said:
Top notch DIY job Tom :thumbup: , I've been making DIY lighting for a while myself.
Is there any way you could run the power cable for the lamp through the supporting tube ?

p.s The scape looks stunning too.

Cheers,
James

Thanks James,

I have been thinking about how best to hide the cable. To get it inside the tube though, I would need to cut it, which I wasn't too keen on. If I did cut it though, I would probably mount an on/off switch in the wooden stand the tube sits in. I'm assuming the cables are literally just + and - so it wouldn't be hard.

Tom

Tom said:
Thanks James,

I have been thinking about how best to hide the cable. To get it inside the tube though, I would need to cut it, which I wasn't too keen on. If I did cut it though, I would probably mount an on/off switch in the wooden stand the tube sits in. I'm assuming the cables are literally just + and - so it wouldn't be hard.

Tom

The cable is just + and - , I cut mine to feed it throught some white conduit, and i've had no problems.
Probably best to make the cut as far from the metal tube as possible (for obvious reasons) and use a good quality cable connector.
I would advise against the switch along cable between ballast and lamp, as i beleive the ballast provides a high Amp spike to start the lamp, once turned off from the proposed switch I doubt it would turn back on. I could be completely wrong on this and will await correction :)

Cheers,
James

Done :D Fiddly old job though. I still need to work on straightening it a bit, and then paint the wood block and the tube the same grey colour to match in.

IMG_3389.jpg

IMG_3383.jpg

Hi Tom
Nice job on the light. :thumbup:
I wouldn't paint the tube...it would look okay as it is.I think you will have difficulty trying to get a good finish on steel.
You could paint the block and the little piece of black cable that goes into the tube though.
hoggie

:thumbup: Sweet :thumbup:

10/10 mate, much better than mine.
I'm definately going to work out a way to suspend my current canopy from a metal tube, looks way cleaner that way.

Cheers,
James

Tom said:
Done :D Fiddly old job though. I still need to work on straightening it a bit, and then paint the wood block and the tube the same grey colour to match in.

IMG_3383.jpg

This looks amazing mate.. Great look, very minimalistic and neat.

I may have missed it mate but what was the original lighting unit/where was it from in the beginning? Great work by the way!

Cheers,
Neil

Neil, it was a standard Interpet T5 starter unit, and 18w bulb :) It's actually a 24/30w starter and the 24w bulb I had was fine for my first few tanks, but I'm not taking any chances now. I've got a brand new 24w in my cupboard I was going to use, but I don't see the point with this tank now :)

I might have got it from Wildwoods actually a few years ago - that's where I got my old 25l AquaOne tank and bits.

More new leaves coming every day at the moment which I'm really happy with :D The moss has lots of new tips too - The new Weeping Moss is looking much better than the old Xmas stuff so far (particularly in direct light), but the old stuff wasn't so healthy to start with. The new stuff is coming through well though.

For the Crypts, the undulata is growing by far the quickest. Lots of new leaves around the base (maybe 10 or so?), followed by the "Tropica", balansae, willisii and lastly the parva. The little bits of hairgrass look healthy too. I might split up the two clumps I used, and spread it down the sides although I don't have much of it. I've got some growing nicely emersed, but I don't want to disturb it as it's grown in with HC.

There is still quite a lot of debris that look like mini poos, so whether there are a lot of snails already I don't know. I'm siphoning it out every other day.

So happy days so far, hoping to get back on track with plant health! As for fish, I'm thinking a group of Hengali Rasbora. That's if I can get work to take them back when I'm finished with them. I won't get my money back, but it would be handy for rehoming as I don't have any other tanks with space.

Tom

Moss is growing :)

P1000782.jpg

Here's a pic of the back of the tank to show the escaping Crypts... sorry about the picture - I had to dangle a Lumix behind the tank and shoot blind, as my 5D won't exactly fit! I think I'm gonna have to get some more Africana, but I'm just worried about all the dust! Is there a similar clay-based substrate that doesn't cloud the water I could sprinkle in?

P1000774.jpg

Columbo FloraBase Brown looks the same to me. I got some old stuff that I got out my old tank and dried out if you wanted a handful for some postage pennies?

Had a good old trim of the old Crypt leaves this morning. I've left the Parva and Willisii as they aren't really any problems with them, but all the overshadowing Undulata and Tropica leaves have gone. Hopefully this will give the smaller plants and moss underneath a chance to kick out some new leaves, and improves the flow round the back for the time being.

I'm surprised how well the balansae is standing the transition, and how quickly the existing leaves are growing! Will have to be kept in check in this tank I'm sure.

IMG_3444.jpg

Tom

Tom said:
Cheers Luis.

Sounds good to me Neil, how dusty is it? That's the only issue really, as I'll have to drop it in with water in.

It shouldn't be dusty at all as it's been rinsed and I also put it all through a sieve today. It has the odd grain of but for what you need it for it would be ideal as its already lost its ammonia content where its been in my tank beforehand. Drop me a PM if your still up for some :)

Back