• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A different planted tank...

George Farmer

Founder
UKAPS Team
Some shots from my 4 month old planted marine tank.

Photographed using tank lighting only - 2 x T8 and 2 x Aquaray 500.

3988066076_659f02129d_o.jpg

3988065216_f6c8abac57_o.jpg

3988066826_44f594fc21_o.jpg

3988066502_9711dcb6e8_o.jpg

samc said:
great shots george as always

how do you find keeping marine? expensive?
Thanks, Sam. Not too expensive. This whole set-up cost me the equivalent of a 'basic' hi-tech planted tank.

LondonDragon said:
Great photos George, you really upping the standard mate :) Looking forward to the marine article. Something to try in the future for sure :)
Cheers Paulo!

It's an interesting change to freshwater. No way near as difficult, or expensive, as some make out either.

I've got a brackish setup on the go right now too.

Thanks, guys!

Themuleous said:
Is that pearling from the macro algae?!?!?! :lol:
That's right mate! It's a good sign, especially in marine when the water should hold as much O2 as possible.

stuworrall said:
nice one george, photography is top knotch as always :)

Ive always thought about doing a marine tank but never actually bitten the bullet. Do you get a lot of evaporation and have to refill with salty water?
Thanks mate!

I hardly get any evaporation as the tank has a hood. Only pure water evaporates, leaving minerals behind so top-ups should be RO to prevent the salinity from increasing.

Iliveinazoo said:
George Farmer said:
samc said:
I've got a brackish setup on the go right now too.

Planted?
Have you gone low salinity or higher with mangroves and/or sea grasses?
No plants yet but eventually I want to do a mangrove set-up with some exposed 'land' with mudskippers.

aaronnorth said:
amazing pictures, best i have seen from you :thumbup:
Thanks, Aaron!

What do you think makes these better? The subject matter, composition, exposure? Please do tell, it's very interesting to get feedback like this.

Superman said:
I'd love to get into marines after a while, one step at a time.

The photos look lovely George can't wait to see more of this.
Thanks, Clark!

Marines are very rewarding but I am really looking forward to getting stuck in to some proper freshwater planted aquascapes soon...

However, I'm going to keep this particular set-up going long-term, as the family love it more than any other tank I've ever had.

Looking good!

Mudskippers need a rather large tank btw - they grow alot bigger than you may think. Plus they spend most of their time half in and half out of the water. Their belly skin isn't scaled and is rather fragile, so sand is the best substrate for them plus smooth slate as decoration. If you can get 'em handfeeding though it's awesome! Ours takes live earthworms, flying insects from around the house and actively hunts feeder shrimp. Oh, and they jump good!

Thanks, Aaron!

What do you think makes these better? The subject matter, composition, exposure? Please do tell, it's very interesting to get feedback like this.

composition has always been great,
the first thing that struck me is the sharpness of the images, i always thought they couldnt be much better, but looking back at older pictures the clarity isn't there.
Good use of bokeh too, the fact that you can see some of the plants in the background and they are still distinguishable is something i like, i am not too keen on the last one because it is a plain black background, but if you look back at some previous fish pictures:
Bangaai Cardinalfish

the first picture is great, so are the last 2 but when there is a plain background it doesnt have the same effect. Hopefully you can see what i am getting at!

Thanks, Aaron

Nice work George, you must be very pleased.

And interesting and good choice of fish, but i can't feel that Nemo has been influenced by the younger females of your house, or am i wrong again. :lol:

These pics give me inspiration for a future tank, with a chiller. :D

I have to try a marine setup one day,now who could I ask to advise me?

Very nice George,regards john.

Back