• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A few shrimp questions . . .

Puffers aren't quick enough, they are probably one of the safer choices...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Like Bettas, some dwarf puffers appear to be active (dedicated :oops:) shrimp hunters, some don’t

Thanks - I never realised that. I always assumed, given their propensity to munch on all the snails they can find, that shrimp would be firmly on the menu also - but I guess their speed, or lack there of, makes sense/

If you can convince your son to give the shrimp a couple months, they’ll often be breeding by then :)

I think I'll struggle with that to be fair.

@Lauris also seems to successfully keep puffers (& CPD) with (breeding) shrimp populations

Escape

(again I suspect the puffers may be later additions - I believe Filipe Oliveira mentions somewhere that he added the puffers to his 60cm tank hoping they’d clean up some nuisance snails (though you still need to remove the shells if they disturb the aesthetic ;)))

Hi @MJQMJQ

When you say "They are large...", I assume that you are referring to the CPDs and not Otocinclus? I ask because Otocinclus are often larger/longer than CPDs. But, being Danios, CPDs have very small mouths.

JPC
Yep the CPDs. I wouldnt trust dwarf puffers.

I can definately advise that dwarf puffers are ok with shrimp. Too slow as other have indicated. I am a bit concerned about mixing cardinals with livebearer though - classic soft water and hardwater fish. What are your water parameters?

I can definately advise that dwarf puffers are ok with shrimp. Too slow as other have indicated. I am a bit concerned about mixing cardinals with livebearer though - classic soft water and hardwater fish. What are your water parameters?
Wouldnt the puffers eat the baby shrimps?They would catch them unawares and eat them.Agreed unless ph is about 6.5-7.5 then could try.

All I know is my shrimp did well in my dwarf puffer tank... each fish is it's own individual character though I suppose...

@Wookii If you're in Notts it's worth popping down to Maidenhead aquatics on the ring road (it's at nottcutts garden center) - they now have 2 dedicated shrimp tanks with neos and caradinas for sale. Friendly staff too.

@Wookii If you're in Notts it's worth popping down to Maidenhead aquatics on the ring road (it's at nottcutts garden center) - they now have 2 dedicated shrimp tanks with neos and caradinas for sale. Friendly staff too.

Thanks for tagging me - I hadn’t realised there had been more replies to this thread! Notifications seem to be a bit hit and miss on this forum.

Thanks for the heads up on the Maidenhead Aquatics - I didn’t even realise there was one there, I’ve only ever gone to the one at Trowell Garden Centre which is kind of average in terms of stocks (I think they have a handful of Amanos at most).

I’ll pop over to the Nott Cutts one at the weekend, and check it out.

I dont know why all LFS dont have breeding ranks, it's free money!
Hope your MA is cheaper than down this way, they normally charge about £4 for cherries and £8.50 for caradina down here which is mental pricing and low grade
Shrimp marketplace is the way to go..

Hope your MA is cheaper than down this way, they normally charge about £4 for cherries and £8.50 for caradina down here which is mental pricing
Shrimp marketplace is the way to go..Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yep - they certainly know how to charge!

You’ll have to excuse my ignorance, but what is ‘Shrimp Marketplace’? (Google didn’t return anything that wasn’t for eating!)

Last edited:
Hope your MA is cheaper than down this way, they normally charge about £4 for cherries and £8.50 for caradina down here which is mental pricing and low grade
Shrimp marketplace is the way to go..

Nah it's exensive - the cherries are pricey (like 4 quid!) , does seem odd when they breed so easily, as you say

Yep - they certainly know how to charge!

You’ll have to excuse my ignorance, but what is ‘Shrimp Marketplace’? (Google didn’t return anything that wasn’t for eating!)
Sorry, you can download the BAND app and search shrimp marketplace. Largely uk breeders selling and auctions.

Sorry, you can download the BAND app and search shrimp marketplace. Largely uk breeders selling and auctions.

Wow, OK, just when you heard of most online resources - you heat of something for the first time! - that app is a new one on me.

I’ll check it out, thanks Iain. Are most of the sellers on there trust worthy?

Wow, OK, just when you heard of most online resources - you heat of something for the first time! - that app is a new one on me.

I’ll check it out, thanks Iain. Are most of the sellers on there trust worthy?
Certainly seem to be trust worthy, there are few main sellers that you will see.
Most people on there are from the shrimpers uk facebook group.

BAND is basically a forum and selling page that doesnt have livestock restrictions like fb and ebay.

Hello,
I have a 9 gallon tank with 4 Amano, 3 cherry shrimps, One huge Betta, 5 Neons and one Tiger Hillstream loach. They live very happy , nobody is eating anyone or attacking. They have been together for 3 month now.
I guess it depends....maybe I was lucky all of them get along?

Just to round of this thread with the actual outcome.

We abandoned the idea of Endlers in the end. The tank now houses Embers, Pygmy Cory's and recently some Chill Rasboras.

In addition I'm pleased to say that the shrimp have now bred, and there are tiny shrimplets everywhere in the moss and in amongst the Marsilea crenata - the kids love trying to count them, and we cna generally spot 12-15 out in the open at any one time, so I'm guessing we must have 3-4 times that hidden throughout the tank. I've been quite surprised by how fast they grow - they have at least doubled in size each week. They are now about 1/3 -1/2 the length of the tiny Rasboras already, and have started to become more bold, venturing out onto rocks etc.

I've not see any of the fish actively hunt them. One particularly chunky Pygmy Cory occasionally noses around in the moss, and I wonder if she might be looking for them, but the shrimplets spring out of the way before she can even get close. She may just be hoovering up fish food particles trapped in the moss.

All in all, a good result anyway - the aquarium is being thoroughly enjoyed by the whole family, and having babies in the tank has added a whole new dimension.

Back