• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A forest unnamed - Fluval F35

Curvball

Hi all,

Since getting my fingers green with the idea of planted aquariums I have now embarked on my 1st proper full blown aquascape project.

Tank: Fluval F35
Filter: Fluval 205
Heater: Fluval 50w
Lighting: Fluval nano led unit
CO2: to be determined
Substrate: cat litter plus some pewter sand
Wood: Manzanite and locally collected driftwood
Rock: Locally collected blue granite
Plants: Anubias sp. some java fern, some Xmas moss otherwise largely undetermined but thinking some hair grass along with some form of taller stem types. Open to suggestions please.

sujy6u9u.jpg

e8a5uru5.jpg

a3uju6ah.jpg

abeteja7.jpg

yzupejum.jpg

Any input/advice on the current layout is welcomed. At this point I'm happy but I think once I review it tomorrow I might think different.

Very nice setup and good choice of plants.IMHO more mosses and riccardia chamedryfolia(mini pelia) are recommended.
Regards
Tom

Very nice setup and good choice of plants.IMHO more mosses and riccardia chamedryfolia(mini pelia) are recommended.
Regards
Tom

Thanks Tom - your input is appreciated. Will look into ricca.

Posted from the comfort of my iPhone...

Is the substrate inert? It looks almost like crushed coral...
I think it's Unipac Maui Sand, which is quartz. Ady and Troi are currently using it too.

Scape looks promising. Not a big fan of such straight pieces of wood but with planting it won't be so prominent.

I like the idea of graded gravel. To improve it further you could use another gravel from Unipac that is basically a bigger version of Maui. I think it's called Nordic. Currently the yellow/brown contrast a little unnaturally with the white/grey.

Looking forward to seeing it planted. Consider small textured plants to enhance sense of scale.

Thanks for your input George, I do agree with your comments on the gravel - the minute I added it I was kind of regretting my decision.

The straight pieces of wood was a decision made because of the nature of the in/out lets of the filtration system. Idea here is to get them all completely covered in moss and ferns.

The main substrate is cat litter - and yes does look a lot like coral sand etc - but it's not wet yet ;)

Need to look at it again with fresh eyes tomorrow - it is far from ready for planting and flooding.

Totally agree with the suggestions George gave. But in the end, you can cover it all with plants and it is all nuanced a bit. Looking forward to see how it turns out!

Yeah me too :) thanks for the feedback.

Hi mate, like the tank have been looking at the fluval LEDs so will be interested in how they go for you. When you say cat litter substrate are you using the normal white one ? From experience this just absorbs moisture and turns to mushy mess thankfully I only had it in a nano then read the clay one was the one to use.

The cat litter is the clay one - non clumping kind too. Fingers crossed...

Will keep this journal updated on my experience with the led - but seems pretty standard so far compared to the various ones I've used for reef aquariums.

Reactions: tim
Hi all,
I tried this, if it is the white sepiolite based one, it make a horrible mess. It may work as an alternative magnesium source (Mg4Si6O15(OH)2·6H2O). I think you will have to remove it.

cheers Darrel

Ah crap! Guess what I'm doing this evening... Hopefully I'll get the main substrate correct on the third try.

You've still made a sterling start...so keep at it, you'll get there:)

Thanks. :)

Now I got an excuse to really look at the layout objectively and make it better.

At least the cats won't be complaining. Even at this rate, I've still not spent enough money to buy 9litres of ADA.

Incidently I should have some ADA substrate by Wednesday, don't think it will be enough though. Will have to wait and see.

Back to square one. 2 hours of cleaning to remove everything - just thankful it was never wet!

9u4a7ary.jpg

Off to track down some of those unipac sands...

If you followed me on twitter you would have seen the live updates to my 'scape.

So for those who missed it, here goes...

pama4uhu.jpg

y2yjunep.jpg

zatere3y.jpg

jy8a6y7a.jpg

a7aqa8ys.jpg

4yvejavu.jpg

8ezazuvy.jpg

Will update the details later.

Was going to get some PAR readings from the Fluval LED unit but battery is dead. Maybe later.

Back