• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A larger Anubias for midground?

cathrynov

Seedling
Hi all,

I’m after a larger type of Anubias for the midground of my 40L cube tank (35x35x35cm). It will go behind a piece of wood branch so kind of needs longer stems with quite high leaves (between 15-20cm) so that they are visible otherwise they will just be hidden by the wood branch. I’ve thought about gracilis, hastifolia, heterophylla, caladiifolia , etc. Just can’t make my mind up!

What do you guys think will be best?

Hi, do you know what other plants you will be using? I ask because it might help choose a different leaf shape. If you want other plants with thin leaves then gracilis and hastifolia would be a nice contrast but if you wanted rounder leaves than a strap longer leaved cultivar like lancelota might look good.

Hi, do you know what other plants you will be using? I ask because it might help choose a different leaf shape. If you want other plants with thin leaves then gracilis and hastifolia would be a nice contrast but if you wanted rounder leaves than a strap longer leaved cultivar like lancelota might look good.
Hi Mort, thanks for your reply. I think I did somehow respond to your comment but I’m new to using UKAPS so getting my head around how to reply!

I currently have: petite Java fern, Anubias petite and pinto, Cyperus helferi and Juncus Repens. I am also planning on adding weeping moss around the branches when I can get my hands on it!

Hi all,
I’m after a larger type of Anubias for the midground
You don't want one that is too large, <"it will fill the available space fairly quickly"> and they aren't the easiest plants to prune and still maintain them looking good.

Anubias barteri "Nana" would be a suggestion. I also like <"Anubias barteri "Coffefolia">, it will eventually be too big, but it is slow growing and a good plant.

<"Schismatoglottis prietoi"> would be another suggestion. It is easy to grow and easier to prune than Anubias barteri.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

You don't want one that is too large, <"it will fill the available space fairly quickly"> and they aren't the easiest plants to prune and still maintain them looking good.

Anubias barteri "Nana" would be a suggestion. I also like <"Anubias barteri "Coffefolia">, it will eventually be too big, but it is slow growing and a good plant.

<"Schismatoglottis prietoi"> would be another suggestion. It is easy to grow and easier to prune than Anubias barteri.

cheers Darrel
Hi Darrel, that’s really helpful. Would Barteri bar Caladiifolia be ok? On Tropica website it says it gets between 5-15cm tall.

I’ll check those out Thankyou. Coffeefolia is definitely unique, I like the look of it.

I’ve attached a pic of the branch as to where it will go. Please excuse the state of the tank right now as it’s completely unfinished! The Anubias will go behind that branch where I have circled it in red. There’s a rock behind it which I will glue it onto, so I kind of want the leaves to come up and over the branches if that makes sense! If you have any other suggestions of plants that may suit this area let me know. It’s a betta tank so I quite like the idea of big leaves for them to rest.

Attachments

• ACFDDEDE-787A-43E4-8642-599C495E87C3.jpeg
    ACFDDEDE-787A-43E4-8642-599C495E87C3.jpeg
    272.9 KB · Views: 124
Hi all,
Would Barteri bar Caladiifolia be ok? On Tropica website it says it gets between 5-15cm tall.
Yes, Anubias barteri "Caladiifolia" would be fine. I'd just keep away from the species with really large leaves (like type A. barteri).
The Anubias will go behind that branch where I have circled it in red. There’s a rock behind it which I will glue it onto, so I kind of want the leaves to come up and over the branches if that makes sense! If you have any other suggestions of plants that may suit this area let me know. It’s a betta tank so I quite like the idea of big leaves for them to rest.
Good idea, <"any of them should do">, other than the really small cultivars.

In <"terms of the Betta">, at the moment I'd buy Ceratopteris thalictroides (Pets@Home usually sell it). It is a <"good grower for start up"> and once the permanent planting has grown in (and you have bigger leaves from the Anubias etc) you can remove it if you wish.

It is a good site for <"bubble nest building as well">.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Hi all,

Yes, Anubias barteri "Caladiifolia" would be fine. I'd just keep away from the species with really large leaves (like type A. barteri).

Good idea, <"any of them should do">, other than the really small cultivars.

In <"terms of the Betta">, at the moment I'd buy Ceratopteris thalictroides (Pets@Home usually sell it). It is a good grower for start up and once the permanent planting has grown in (and you have bigger leaves from the Anubias etc) you can remove it if you wish.

It is a good site for <"bubble nest building as well">.

cheers Darrel

That’s great, Thankyou so much. I’m going to get Caladiifolia and see how that goes. The other one I was thinking of was gracilis, but I think that might get too big.

I really like the look of the Ceratopteris thalictroides. Is this a background plant? Sorry, I’m new to this!

Hi all,
Is this a background plant? Sorry, I’m new to this!
It is a funny plant, you can either plant it or<" leave if floating">. If it gets plenty of light and nutrients it is a very quick grower, but it will also persist in very low nutrient conditions. This one belonged to @Parablennius, and maybe C. cornuta, but it doesn't make any practical difference.

dscn1622-jpg-jpg.jpg

The individual fronds don't last long, but they produce new plants (on the leaves) all the time. I just leave it as a sub-surface floating plant. If it can grow out of the tank it will produce <"aerial fronds with a different morphology">.

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel. I like that. Might get it for my background plant to go alongside my Cyperus helferi.

another question, what do you think would be a good Buce? There’s so many to choose from....! My mind is overwhelmed! I think a smaller type would look best as it’s on the size of a nano tank.

Hi all,

You'll need some-one else to advise, I'll add in @Wookii.

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel, I'm far from an expert though.

@cathrynov - the choice in Buce's is insane, and not helped by the fact that there isn't always standardised naming. I would perhaps suggest "Kedagang" perhaps in a 35cm cube - it's an attractive one, fairly widely available, medium sized leaves and a lateral growth spread.

bucephalandra-sp-kedagang.jpg

Other ones to take a look at might be "Biblis" and "Red". I recently bought one of the Aquaflora pots of fabled "Brownie Ghost" from forum sponsor Horizon Aquatics (though I bought via eBay):

It's expensive for a pot, but you get a decent amount of plant mass for the money - I got 5-6 decent sized plantlets in my pot, which if you compare to the ones you buy potted in rockwool at £5-8 each, it's not such bad value and they are good quality too, mine grew straight away without any leaf loss . . . . . It is a lovely Buce too, a little on the smaller side.

One thing to bear in mind is Buce seem to prefer a mature tank. When I rescaped my tank, I added all my Buce back in straight away, and suffered a lot of leaf loss - either due to the immaturity of the main tank, or the initial high ammonia levels from fresh soil - so I'd personally consider waiting a few weeks to add Buces in if you can (assuming this a new tank you are setting up). They are very easy to add later with a bit of superglue on the roots, or wedging in gaps.

Thanks Darrel, I'm far from an expert though.

@cathrynov - the choice in Buce's is insane, and not helped by the fact that there isn't always standardised naming. I would perhaps suggest "Kedagang" perhaps in a 35cm cube - it's an attractive one, fairly widely available, medium sized leaves and a lateral growth spread.

bucephalandra-sp-kedagang.jpg

Other ones to take a look at might be "Biblis" and "Red". I recently bought one of the Aquaflora pots of fabled "Brownie Ghost" from forum sponsor Horizon Aquatics (though I bought via eBay):

It's expensive for a pot, but you get a decent amount of plant mass for the money - I got 5-6 decent sized plantlets in my pot, which if you compare to the ones you buy potted in rockwool at £5-8 each, it's not such bad value and they are good quality too, mine grew straight away without any leaf loss . . . . . It is a lovely Buce too, a little on the smaller side.

One thing to bear in mind is Buce seem to prefer a mature tank. When I rescaped my tank, I added all my Buce back in straight away, and suffered a lot of leaf loss - either due to the immaturity of the main tank, or the initial high ammonia levels from fresh soil - so I'd personally consider waiting a few weeks to add Buces in if you can (assuming this a new tank you are setting up). They are very easy to add later with a bit of superglue on the roots, or wedging in gaps.
Thankyou so much! Yep, the amount of Buce’s out there is so overwhelming! And I think some places don’t use the names properly and/or mix the names up. I was looking at Kedagang, love the look of it - I also like Horizon Aquatics too and have been recommended them by many others so will look at their eBay store 😁 my tank has been set up for about a year now but I keep rescaping it to get it to how I want. Finally got a piece of wood I love and I think this is my 3rd scape. I think I’ll leave the Buce for now, let the other plants grow in and then get one. They’re beautiful plants!

Hi all,

It is a funny plant, you can either plant it or<" leave if floating">. If it gets plenty of light and nutrients it is a very quick grower, but it will also persist in very low nutrient conditions. This one belonged to @Parablennius, and maybe C. cornuta, but it doesn't make any practical difference.

dscn1622-jpg-jpg.jpg

The individual fronds don't last long, but they produce new plants (on the leaves) all the time. I just leave it as a sub-surface floating plant. If it can grow out of the tank it will produce <"aerial fronds with a different morphology">.

cheers Darrel
Speaking of which! This is the same plant as in the pics. I love this. Slightly off topic, the root mass is such that, although floating, it is now the favourite haunt of my Kuhlis.

Attachments

• DSCF1090.JPG
    DSCF1090.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 115
  • DSCF1091.JPG
    DSCF1091.JPG
    232.6 KB · Views: 111
  • DSCF1092.JPG
    DSCF1092.JPG
    183.2 KB · Views: 119
Back