• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A Little Slice Of Nature

Hi everyone i have a problem seem to be getting a lot of algae on the buce and anubias and on the pinitifida etc, i am doing 2 water changes in 8 days and lights at 75 percent ( reduced to 65 last night)

Suggestions ? I am on my first day off thursday so will give the soil and sand a good clean even though i am doing this every time, will also strip the whole filter and give a clean.

Any other recomendations and how long should i clean the filter out etc should the algae start disappearing?

Think its bba and staghorn i am wondering if its the fish that died as never found 1 of them.

Also getting defficencys in the bucephlandra with red spots on leaves etc ?
ed55969bc6e691e1d32b76dc796aabcc.jpg
062e6b777d739d20c9f535c8e88ca95c.jpg
b66e2b7ed099ceb1911b4f39d21c1a55.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Hi Dean, I'm struggling with similar at the minute, I've been doing what you've said in your post with cleaning the filter, soil everything I can think of. Not getting any staghorn that I can see but BBA and GSA (I think) on the anubias.
I wasn't sure whether it's just still the tank settling?
Mine came on a little after I cut back the pinnatifida so maybe I removed too many fast growers I'm not sure.
I've redone my pH profile just to check if I have any fluctuations. Be interesting to see what you do with this.

Hi Dean
Tanks looking lovely with nice colours, am i right in thinking your making up a all in one fert mix. What is your ingredients for the all in one please.
Cheers
Paul
Sorry paul i will get this for you it totally slipped my mind but i will find my list for you

Hi Dean, I'm struggling with similar at the minute, I've been doing what you've said in your post with cleaning the filter, soil everything I can think of. Not getting any staghorn that I can see but BBA and GSA (I think) on the anubias.
I wasn't sure whether it's just still the tank settling?
Mine came on a little after I cut back the pinnatifida so maybe I removed too many fast growers I'm not sure.
I've redone my pH profile just to check if I have any fluctuations. Be interesting to see what you do with this.
Yeah i am panicking a bit as been getting worse and all of a sudden seems to be all over on all plants not as bad as it sounds but unsightly.

I pivked off the bad affected leaves and lowered lights to 65%, hopefully doing 2 water changes in 8 days is enough i may do an extra one this week but cant until off work thursday. I will try to get up as much detritus as possible and clean internals of filter in the aquarium water.

Should the bba etc start to subside if cleaning filter etc ? I always change pre filter sponges every maintenence session.

Dean

Hi Dean,
In my own experience staghorn are quite likely to appear at the start (first 2/3 months) and really just as likely to disappear on their own later on. I can see some on the pinnatifida - I'd remove as much of them as possible by hand and wait for a full maturation to do its thing.
BBA are pesky beasts but I am really not that experienced with them I'm afraid. Don't feel like giving any particular recommendations on filter cleaning either, but personally I'd be even more careful and gentle when handling sponge and bio filter now with some algae presence/slightly more unstable system than I would normally.

Yeah i am panicking a bit as been getting worse and all of a sudden seems to be all over on all plants not as bad as it sounds but unsightly.

I pivked off the bad affected leaves and lowered lights to 65%, hopefully doing 2 water changes in 8 days is enough i may do an extra one this week but cant until off work thursday. I will try to get up as much detritus as possible and clean internals of filter in the aquarium water.

Should the bba etc start to subside if cleaning filter etc ? I always change pre filter sponges every maintenence session.

Dean

I always understood bba to be caused by excess waste in the water or poor/fluctuating co2??
So I'm trying to limit the excess waste and checking my pH. I hope I'm on the right track. I've found my prefilters on the oase get clogged pretty quickly so I do them twice a week now, in tap water too.
I guess it's quite difficult to keep the anubias and buce algae free whilst blasting the stems with light.

I always understood bba to be caused by excess waste in the water or poor/fluctuating co2??
So I'm trying to limit the excess waste and checking my pH. I hope I'm on the right track. I've found my prefilters on the oase get clogged pretty quickly so I do them twice a week now, in tap water too.
I guess it's quite difficult to keep the anubias and buce algae free whilst blasting the stems with light.
I always swap sponges over when do maintenance, i am going to do 3 water changes over the next 4 days.

I never know whatbthey mean by fluctuating co2 as it always starts a lot lower then raises.

Do they mean fluctuating from lights on ?
I had my bps uncountable and usually a green at photoperiod but maybe lighter at end of my photoperiod.

Will try get as much detritus up as possible tonight may clean internals of filter also tonight and same on sunday morning and like i said i will throw in a extra session this week maybe friday morning.

Dean

If your co2 isn't a constant through the photo period meaning the plants are using more than you putting in the levels will flutuat do a ph profile deano ph drop of one all the way through the photo period mate

Maybe too much light also what's it on now
Dropped to 65 percent other day, i will check ph every hour when i am off tomorrow. I usually drop 1 ph within a hour but drop checker still green , i will do a ph check every hour tomorro hopefully the ph oen is accurate enough i usually dip it in a low flow area for a min or so as ph will keep dropping.

Dean

Hi everyone, purchased some more rummy nose tetras and 5 nerites today after my loss.

Still having some algae issues and what look like defficencys so any help would be great, been spot treating the staghorn what i seem to have a lot of and turned red and also upped the water changes, want some more amanos and ottos soon.

Seem to be some melting on pinitifida what was originally growing great and some browning on the anubias and holes in leaves of various plants etc everything just not looking good as it should be tbh moss also lookong brown with algae and not vibrant green.

Think maybe a nutrient problem but thays where my knowledgeis really bad and help is needed
acc272bee859797cf6ace32e81e2ca35.jpg
abc707175627ce96b2ec98ed65e79e21.jpg
31bc8455310f28f2d8cce73784e8e5a3.jpg

Dont really see how it can be nutrient mate as your mix is the same.as mine and my plants are going crazy have you tried to adjust the.flow moving the lily's around is your co2 100% dialed in what your ph profile like just don't see how the mixes.could be producing two things so.diffrent I've even.dropped my amounts to.25ml every other day.and still.getting amazing.growth

Dont really see how it can be nutrient mate as your mix is the same.as mine and my plants are going crazy have you tried to adjust the.flow moving the lily's around is your co2 100% dialed in what your ph profile like just don't see how the mixes.could be producing two things so.diffrent I've even.dropped my amounts to.25ml every other day.and still.getting amazing.growth
You may be right mate as i am dosing 20ml daily, did you keep the mix the same ?

What could i do with flow maybe move to front of rear left of the tank what you think will be best ? Just staghorn and plants not looking as green as they should be and seeing a bit deformity on leaves etc in certain places, the worst for staghorn is the left were the flow is blasted down and swirls.

If the lily pipes were left hand it would eather blast the stems at the rear or go down front and around the stems.

Also my crypts never really came through or they hVe just but would love so crypts in here maybe where the rotala is would it be ok with the light ? Light is at 75%.

Thanks dean

You may be right mate as i am dosing 20ml daily, did you keep the mix the same ?

What could i do with flow maybe move to front of rear left of the tank what you think will be best ? Just staghorn and plants not looking as green as they should be and seeing a bit deformity on leaves etc in certain places, the worst for staghorn is the left were the flow is blasted down and swirls.

If the lily pipes were left hand it would eather blast the stems at the rear or go down front and around the stems.

Also my crypts never really came through or they hVe just but would love so crypts in here maybe where the rotala is would it be ok with the light ? Light is at 75%.

Thanks dean

I would say it's definitely flow. I have been thinking about what i sort of scape i would go for if i was going rescape mine one day. I love traingle layouts, they always just look great. But i realised flow would be a big issue in a triangle layout mainly because you wouldn't be able to great flow right in the middle of the plants unless you point the outlet at them, but even then the flow would be strongest around the edges where there is not many plants, as we are going for circular flow.

I would definitely put the lily pipes pointing at your scape rather than away from it, as you will get more flow around the dead areas as the flow will hit the glass and go round and get dispersed downwards aswell.

In my scape some some of my rotala do get battered from the lily output, but once they grow in properly and become dense and bushy they hold their shape. I also have a small pump in the opposite corner of my tank, only like 450lph, but it does a good job of getting a good flow all the way around without completely battering all my other rotala.

I would say it's definitely flow. I have been thinking about what i sort of scape i would go for if i was going rescape mine one day. I love traingle layouts, they always just look great. But i realised flow would be a big issue in a triangle layout mainly because you wouldn't be able to great flow right in the middle of the plants unless you point the outlet at them, but even then the flow would be strongest around the edges where there is not many plants, as we are going for circular flow.

I would definitely put the lily pipes pointing at your scape rather than away from it, as you will get more flow around the dead areas as the flow will hit the glass and go round and get dispersed downwards aswell.

In my scape some some of my rotala do get battered from the lily output, but once they grow in properly and become dense and bushy they hold their shape. I also have a small pump in the opposite corner of my tank, only like 450lph, but it does a good job of getting a good flow all the way around without completely battering all my other rotala.
Thanks sammy yeah i love the look in the picture above and next scape i will have a carpet i think, where you think will be best left hand front so goes along glass then round into the stems or at the rear so straight into the stems ?

Dean

Let's put this into perspective we both use the same mix your 900 is what 200ltr and your adding 140ml of ferts a week 20ml×7=140
My 1200 is 284ltrs and I'm adding 75ml a week
25ml×3= 75
Unless you have made a drastic error when making the recipe up I don't see how it is possible for it to be ferts
I think sometimes people always look at the wrong things it is more than lightly your co2 or flow IMO I know every tank is different and from the looks of my tank to yours I have a much bigger plant mass so in theory I should be using much more ferts but am actually using almost half of the amount
Maybe you need to just find the balance of light co2 and ferts

I am using the same ferts and I am dosing 10ml per day, so compared to Jay's tank I am still dosing too much, I'm slowly lowering it and trying to reduce the nitrates. I had an issue with iron a little while ago but that was down to the way I mixed the salts.

I am terrible at ferts and knowing what causes certain issues etc, obvioisly not the ferts then. So i need to look at flow and co2, i will do another ph profile when I get a chance.

I want to try lilly pipe in different position where you think will be best left hand front or rear ?

Thanks dean

I want to try lilly pipe in different position where you think will be best left hand front or rear ?
Its going to be trial and error mate give them both a try for a month and see how they go its not going to hurt till you find the righ place my stems get a light flow over them I run 2 filters 1 front left 1 back right and thats only the thermo 350 I probs dont need both but it help distribute the co2 around the tank and the stems dont mind the gentle waft at all

Thanks sammy yeah i love the look in the picture above and next scape i will have a carpet i think, where you think will be best left hand front so goes along glass then round into the stems or at the rear so straight into the stems ?

Dean

I would put the lily front left, maybe an inch or two further in than you normally would. The water will still travel around the glass, but more importantly you would get downward flow from hitting the glass and going through your plants at substarte level.

You could also get a small pump like me and put it in the opposite corner behind you stems so it pushes the water through and back around to input/output. Obviously with this option means more stem movement which isn't always desirable.

Back