• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A more conventional Iwagumi (Final shots @ 22 weeks)

Re: A more conventional Iwagumi

Top work James.
Journals like this is a credit to ukaps.
Looking forward to 60

Tank looks amazing ,and the photography is too, how did you manage to get the blue to white backgound effect ???
:)

James that is Friggin awesome dude!

When i first saw it i thought it was a little uniform, but i was quite clearly wrong! Looks so well aged.

Thing of beauty

Andyh

Now that is a scape I have been waiting for, that showcases how good those rocks look aged with algae. Instead of being clinically cleaned each week.

This is a really beautiful tank! Are those celestial pearl danios / galaxy rasboras? If so, then I love your choice of fish too - these are some of my favourite fish.

This is a great layout and a perfect choice for plant. :thumbup:
Beautiful nano tank.

Thanks for the compliments folks :D , they are much appreciated.

Piece-of-fish said:
Looking forward to 60
Me too mate, hoping to get started on it next month.

ashcarter89 said:
how did you manage to get the blue to white backgound effect ???
I've used an opaque white tank backing in conjunction with a "powerglo" backlight shining on the white wall behind the tank. I think It is the contrast between the green to yellow bias of the main lamp and the blue bias of the backlight that gives the effect.

Packers said:
Are those celestial pearl danios / galaxy rasboras? If so, then I love your choice of fish too - these are some of my favourite fish.
Yes they're celestial pearls, I love the behaviour of this species. They often circle the main stone in a little shoal.

Cheers,
James

This has turned into a little beauty James!

I hope you'll start to use a few more varieties of plants in the future? :thumbup:

Thanks Mark :D

Mark Evans said:
I hope you'll start to use a few more varieties of plants in the future? :thumbup:
Good point. That's one of the reasons i'm getting a 60cm set up, nanos can be a bit limiting when it comes to choice of plants and fish. I might even have a try at using some wood :wideyed: :lol:

Cheers,
James

Update

At nearly 11 weeks old the scape is starting to fill in properly. The mosses were pruned 2 weeks ago and are now a lot more dense. The BBA has all but gone, and the traces that remain look well bleached by the gluteralderhyde.

6223318265_baa771361e_z.jpg

6223843252_8252640e16_z.jpg

The gluteralderhyde was added in the form of EasyCarbo at a starting dose of 0.5 ml every 12 hours and cycled up to a rather controversial 2ml every 12 hours.over a period of 2 weeks. Please note that I previously caught up all the cherry shrimps I possibly could, and although the few that remained survived the process, such high doses of gluteralderhyde can be lethal to shrimps.

I always level the cycle off when the algae turns red (this only happens with BBA and staghorn, as far as I know). I feel it is important to keep dosing until the algae has been completely eradicated.

Cheers,
James

Excellent work James! Really really like it. :thumbup:
How often are you syphoning the moss?

Cheers,
Mike

Thank you folks :D , much appreciated.

clonitza said:
How often are you syphoning the moss?

All maintenance is done once a week.
I only syphon the moss at the base very lightly as the stones its attached to are sitting on a layer of mulm, and i don't want to drag it up into the moss.

Cheers,
James

That is a really nice tank James. Layout, plants, photos.

The easy carbo, does that just kill BBA and staghorn or will it work an all algae types? Thread algae etc

Thanks Andy.

I've never known easycarbo to kill anything but BBA and Staghorn, It has had no effect on thread algae even when spot dosed. However others may have had different experiences.
Thread algae is best delt with by Amano shrimps.

Cheers,
James

Back