• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A New 60P setup and progress report …

Another day and a little bit closer …

Expecting some lovely things in the post today, the pleasure of anticipation …

I was anxious about ordering this piece of Manzanita wood by post, however it is an absolute beauty …

Attachments

• 8D809B21-BF2D-41EE-BCE4-A653810FC1EA.jpeg
    8D809B21-BF2D-41EE-BCE4-A653810FC1EA.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 237
My tank is finally cycled, here is my first attempt at planting and hardscaping.
Please comment with honest reviews.
I am willing to change everything if it improves the scape …
Thank you
Ossie …

First, I see the Narrow leaf fern right in the middle. I will move it to the back slightly to the right.
Second, the drop checker is very obvious. It too will be moved. I think one hanging on the back outside the tank would be better.
The plants arrived so small that I am sure I will have to rearrange some …

Do you think there is too much soil depth at the front …
Perhaps a bit too much, but I’d be more concerned about the fact that it looks Sooo silty, was it like this when purchased?

Perhaps a bit too much, but I’d be more concerned about the fact that it looks Sooo silty, was it like this when purchased?

from Ossie's original post, he is using Tropical Aquasoil and Tropica soil powder.

Could the silt be the soil powder - in which case the question is why isn't the powder at the bottom, or was it placed at the bottom but somehow rose to the top.

from Ossie's original post, he is using Tropical Aquasoil and Tropica soil powder.

Could the silt be the soil powder - in which case the question is why isn't the powder at the bottom, or was it placed at the bottom but somehow rose to the top.
The Soil Powder (not to be confused with Tropica Substrate) is just smaller spheres.
When im looking at earlier pictures of this setup, the soil appears to be intact.
Maybe the hardscape and soil was moved around a lot after the tank was filled? I see some lava rock bags that I assume would go under the soil

I doubt it, I had tropica powder and even though it was quite fine it never looked Wm quite like that, it held its shape well, over a year and a a half or so.

Yes the Substrate was disturbed. I removed it all to place the co2 hose under it. Bit of a mess.

Will it be ok as it is …

@Ossie , would you kindly add the list of plants? In current state, just after planting, they're quite hard to discern.

Christmas moss.
java fern narrow.
ranunculus inundates.
Alternanthera reinecki.
hHydrocotyle Tripartita.
Nymphophylla Taiwan.
Ultricularia graminfolia.
Starurogyne reopens.
Hygrophila Siemensis. 53b.
Elocharis montevidensis.
Bucephalandra kedagang.

The advice was to plant Heavily …

Hello,

I wonder has anyone had similar thoughts, Should I have bought a bigger tank. The 90 x 45 x 45 is beautiful but my resons for buying the 60 are as follows …

1, It fits very well into my kitchen for size and decor.
2, I don’t have enough experience For a 90P.
D3, A 90 is more expensive.
4, It is more work.
5, A large canister filter is required for bigger tanks.
6, I would feel overwhelmed …

I am very happy with my tank, just a thought …
I started on a 60p to ease me into the hobby, a nice small tank to learn the ropes on.
Big enough to try out most plants, yet small enough if that choice doesn’t play out it won’t have cost you much.

I’m very happy I went smaller first. I’ve learnt a ton and now two years later I’m setting up the 90p

Enjoy the process buddy!

Thank. You,
I went for the 60p first and by a happy coincidence the tank I ordered was wider than I expected.
I got confused with the dimensions which said it was 45cm deep. I thought this would be the height But when it arrived, to my delight it was 60 long 36 high and 45 wide. This give me so much more floor space and larger volume than a standard P60.
In my set up it would be difficult to have a separate large canister filter so my All Pond solutions HOB with 1.3 of Biohome and bags of JBL Volcano substrate under the Tropica should be enough for filtration and home for beneficial bacteria.
The volume is around 100l which gives me plenty of scope for plants and fish. Unfortunately no Angel fish but my second favourites are Black Phantom Tetras.
it has only been two days after planting and already the plants are perking up.
I blind cycled for 6 weeks.
The 90p is a great size but for now I am delighted with my smaller tank …

Just an updated photo of the tank.
I have eight Black Phantom Tetras and Two Siamese Algae eaters. All extremely happy in their new home …

Attachments

• 346C0F1D-467F-461C-AB4E-F3D70692C324.jpeg
    346C0F1D-467F-461C-AB4E-F3D70692C324.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 152
Hello,
My Aquarium has been up and running now for about three months and I am very pleased with the results. I often tweak the plants and hardscape t o improve things, removing a lovely piece of Manzinita wood which was starting to disappear in the vegetation.
It now sits on our dining room table and looks very arty.

I prefer deeper green foliage rather than yellowish or red leaves so I have removed most of the yellow leaf stem plants and all of the red.
Still having issues with the Styrogoyne Repens and hope to replace it slowly with an alternative.
0AC19466-DDC4-4209-8216-C38DDEED4421.jpeg

The Bucephalandra are doing well and I have negligible Algae issues. I have five Amano shrimp and one Siamese Algae eater.

I have posted a photo … Enjoying the process very much and very happy that I choose the 60p 45cm deep tank … The perfect size for me. Not too much maintenance and works well with the Hang on back filter packed with Biohome media.

I am slowly building up the non stem plants but have know that they were very necessary to cycling the tank.

Meanwhile have a look at the photo. Still a lot of growing in to do but getting there.

Back