• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A New Beginning (New Pics & video 10/8/2016) - 180L

Hello, i do not understand why you did lower the intensity of the Grobeams to 10% (many plants must have died because of lack of light intensity), i am glad you upgraded the intensity.

I have one Grobeam 600 only, right over the tank, mixed with other leds and it is at 100% (4 hours a day). I did not purchase the equipment to play with its intensity.

Michel.

Hi Michel,

I dropped the intensity as my plants were melting when I had it on 40%. This was when I first set up the tank so I dropped the intensity to lower the demand for CO2 and nutrients. I assume that i am now getting growth because the plants have settled in and adapted to under water life.

Hi All,

Time for a new picture update with the progress. The last pic i posted was some time back and having gotten to grips more with the plant growing aspects with these LED lights, I feel I can can concentrate a little more on the look of the tank now. I have a couple of questions along the way so I hope you'll help me out :)

The foreground carpet is coming along now and has certainly come out of its dormant state. I went away last weekend and there was a noticeable growth difference with more of the carpet formed over 2 days than I had ever noticed. I've added some Bolbitis and more Java Fern Narrow to the wood but this is now blocking the view of the Cyperus Helferi. I think i'm going to have to move that to somewhere else in the tank for it to be seen. I've also added some giant moss to a few of the branches as a tester.

I cant remember the plant I have on the right hand side (i'll dig out the labels) but I've come to the conclusion that the leafs are a bit big for the scape and something a little more fine textures will look better.

I think I'm going to need something in the middle of the wood though as that area looks quite bare.The obvious choice is some Anubias Petite or something similar but I'm interested to hear what you guys would do with that area. Thoughts?

QUESTION: How the hell do I get that Hydrocotyle sp."Japan" to stop growing upwards?! I keep pushing it down like it says on the tropica website but it just pops straight back up!

Blyxa melt as stopped and I think we're now back into growth which I'm happy about as I love this plant. So overall I think I've turned a corner but only time will tell!

On with a few pics!

Here's the before pic:
23692108194_a8f6cc25dc_b.jpg160111-20.27.32(Lee)

After:
24955982701_c889697f97_b.jpgDSC_0074.jpg

24681650379_defd7e3b99_b.jpgDSC_0075.jpg

24418646594_55e9639f15_b.jpgDSC_0076.jpg

25022943696_a284483de5_b.jpgDSC_0077.jpg

24418659114_5b410d5b20_b.jpgDSC_0079.jpg

25022955206_7650931b81_b.jpgDSC_0082.jpg

Nice one it's looking good. What intensity have you settled on with your lights?

Hydrocotyle has been one plant I really managed to grow (similar issues to you with TMC LED's). Just take hold of a long strand half way along and push it down in to the substrate in the direction you want the plant to spread. Requires some care as they come up again easily when you let go, hadn't thought of Roy's tooth pick idea, but that sounds good. I managed to keep mine quite low and get it to spread sideways just by pushing in to the substrate from time to time. It eventually got out of hand, it grows really well.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Loving that :).
Maybe a smaller leaved Bucephalandra for the wood.
I'm not familiar with those plants. Do you know where I can get them?

Nice one it's looking good. What intensity have you settled on with your lights?
I'm running at 40% at the moment but I intend to try and up it somewhat in the coming weeks to see what effect that has on the plants. I find it really odd that I started at 40% when I first built the tank but everything melted.

Hi Aeropars Looking fantastic :clap:

With the Hydrocotyle sp.Japan pin it down with a couple of tooth picks it will soon root in ;)
I'll give that a go! Many thanks for the tip!

On reflection, I think I'm going to remove the 2 larger rocks from the right hand side as well. I dont see that they offer anything and will give me more space for some mid ground plants. I might be able to move the C. Helferi there to its at least visible.

Hydrocotyle has been one plant I really managed to grow (similar issues to you with TMC LED's). Just take hold of a long strand half way along and push it down in to the substrate in the direction you want the plant to spread. Requires some care as they come up again easily when you let go, hadn't thought of Roy's tooth pick idea, but that sounds good. I managed to keep mine quite low and get it to spread sideways just by pushing in to the substrate from time to time. It eventually got out of hand, it grows really well.

Hi Once it gets going it grows like a weed :) Fantastic looking plant I love the leaf shape and colour :rolleyes:

Really nice aqua aeropas :) may I ask you what is the black white sand you have in there? Didnt find it in the comments. Thx and good luck.

Odoslané z môjho iPad cez Tapatalk

Thank you Aeropars, i thought so...shame the delivery from UK to Slovakia its crazy expensive.

Odoslané z môjho iPad cez Tapatalk

Hi Guys,

Heres a few more photos of the progress. I'm getting a small amount of algae which I think is BBA however its only on the slow growers. Can anyone confirm this? I'm not sure how this has come about as the CO2 seems pretty stable so I've started dosing double the amount of DIY easy carbo. What would you guys do to battle this?

25128718009_a1af5ee52f_k.jpgDSC_0150-Edited by Lee Parsons, on Flickr
24865695654_2b3eacfc26_k.jpgDSC_0151-Edited by Lee Parsons, on Flickr
25403423951_94d99c7984_k.jpgDSC_0152-Edited by Lee Parsons, on Flickr
25128702279_871e0d3c88_k.jpgDSC_0153-Edited by Lee Parsons, on Flickr
25470109586_592ad9d3f5_k.jpgDSC_0154-Edited by Lee Parsons, on Flickr
24869511293_05aa43ccdf_k.jpgDSC_0156-Edited by Lee Parsons, on Flickr

Back