• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

a noob tank "RTFM" trigon corner tank

jimwalsh

gulp here goes

my first foray into planted tank land

all criticism gratefully received...

this is no doubt the start of a series of blunders and miss steps.

but its all part of the fun I guess

substrate is in with a collection of rocks

I am figuring out how to attach various bits and pieces together.

Re: a noob tank "RTFM"

the tank is a trigon 190l corner tank

I am running a fluval 305 filter and hoping to get an inline heater and co2 on there although I am worried that this may disrupt the flow too much...

8047605250_a8ebdd74a3_b.jpg

Needs more hardscape mate, those rocks look too small for a tank that shape and size.

They'd look great like that in a japanese style Iwagumi tank, but what are you thinking in terms of planting ?

I would say, get a lot more plants, get rid of your rocks and just use the bogwood as a centre piece. Plant around it.

Hi Jim, looks ok, however as your first attempt i would honestly advise using very little hard scape, i believe corner tanks can be a challenge with flow so the less items you have in the tank the easier your life will be until you get a feel.
Saying that Kris's idea of the one piece of wood would work better.

Just go for it Jim,

Don't worry about what others think, you will learn as you go on, and get inspiration and your tank will change many times as you try diffrent flows, landscapes, plants fish etc.

corner tanks are a pain, but it can be done really well as Gary Nelson has proved.

I do agree with Geoff on this one, for a first go, i wouldn't worry to much about hardscape, and i would concentrate on growing the plants first as corners are not the easiest to get right (I speak from experience). I would suggest using a spray bar to begin with though. I would also suggest a more powerful filter as well.

thanks for all the opinions

I have gone with a simple stone layout and will attempt to just get plants growing.

the CO2 is up and running my drop counter is green

and the plants are in...

I seem to not have quite managed the technique of getting my stem plants into the substrate as this morning when I came down there was half a dozen floaters....

the water seems very cloudy as well. (hopefully this will clear)

Should I be doing daily water changes at this point?

Hi,

Welcome to ukaps! you will love it! :) I would like to say that I have a general rule as to not use both types of hardscape, (wood and rock) I would tend to choose one and stick with it, unless I had a specific aim. I would disagree with the above comments though.. I think you should keep the rocks and take out the wood. As long as all rock is the same. Dont have clashing rocks as this will unbalance your zen. I think corner tanks, as everyone will tell you are notoriously difficult for achieving the correct flow. but if u spend lots of time reading on ukaps you will figure something out im sure.

What sort of substrate you reppin? ;)

8068091033_129ee158bf_b.jpg

plants in 5 days ago.

I started out with nicely bunched groups of plants but after several days of floaters at the top I have just been shoving them back in haphazardly...

does anyone have any tips about how to get stem plants to stay put?

there appears to be fine black dust on many plant leaves... is this the start of algae?

Heya dude. I'm no expert at all this but looking at the pictures this is what I have come up with lol. The foreground looks catered for and the Rock placement has worked well with your plants, however with that size of a tank you need to cover that negative space above the rocks. Maybe some background plants like amazon swords. Something that grows tall and fills the blank space.

I think I slightly agree, in order to achieve a well accomplished iwagumi I personally believe we need to house this sort of scape in a low height tank to really set off the feeling of iwagumi... having said that I know people that have successfully achieved iwagumi in tall tanks using taller stone.. its got potential though buddy.

Nice one :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Im assuming its a new tank buddy? limnophila is a great starter plant as it gets incredibly hungry and grows extra fast. this absorbs the nutrients that linger in your tank keeping your ammonia levels down. Limnophila sessiliflora is a good and undemanding plant which is a good for new tank set ups. The plant often grows leggy in poor light though so be aware of this, but this can be counteracted to some extent by stimulating growth by CO2 addition. It can be very beautiful when planted in groups. In good growing conditions it sends out runners and spreads across the bottom. I think your main concern wil be water flow, but a power head from china should sort this out :) Who knows you maybe ok :)

Echinodorus osiris is a sweet plant. if you have enough light it will go red and say red :)

Jack

hey jim, floating plants happen to everyone when starting out. Use good tweezers and push them in deep. A good technique is to push the stems in vertically with the tweezers at 45 degrees, then pull the tweezers out at 45 degrees so you dont pull the stem back out.

The black dust may just be from the substrate as you keep disturbing it by replanting, if so then you will be able to waft/wipe the leaves and remove the dust during WC which should ideally be daily when newly set up. You cant keep the tank clean enough at this stage mate. If it doesnt come away from the leaf it may be diatoms which with good maintenance, flow, co2 etc will 'burn out' after a while and is quite normal in new tanks.
Have you got the co2 now? If not have you considered liquid carbon for the time being? Also keep your lighting low for now, max 5 hours.
:thumbup:

jackrythm said:
Im assuming its a new tank buddy? limnophila is a great starter plant as it gets incredibly hungry and grows extra fast. this absorbs the nutrients that linger in your tank keeping your ammonia levels down. Limnophila sessiliflora is a good and undemanding plant which is a good for new tank set ups. The plant often grows leggy in poor light though so be aware of this, but this can be counteracted to some extent by stimulating growth by CO2 addition. It can be very beautiful when planted in groups. In good growing conditions it sends out runners and spreads across the bottom. I think your main concern wil be water flow, but a power head from china should sort this out :) Who knows you maybe ok :)

Echinodorus osiris is a sweet plant. if you have enough light it will go red and say red :)

Jack
cheers buddy. I have ordered a powerhead

where would be the best place to situate it? beneath the out let or about the co2 diffuser in the right corner?

easerthegeezer said:
hey jim, floating plants happen to everyone when starting out. Use good tweezers and push them in deep. A good technique is to push the stems in vertically with the tweezers at 45 degrees, then pull the tweezers out at 45 degrees so you dont pull the stem back out.

The black dust may just be from the substrate as you keep disturbing it by replanting, if so then you will be able to waft/wipe the leaves and remove the dust during WC which should ideally be daily when newly set up. You cant keep the tank clean enough at this stage mate. If it doesnt come away from the leaf it may be diatoms which with good maintenance, flow, co2 etc will 'burn out' after a while and is quite normal in new tanks.
Have you got the co2 now? If not have you considered liquid carbon for the time being? Also keep your lighting low for now, max 5 hours.
:thumbup:
I have had the co2 running since setting up although I am struggling to get the correct amount of bubbles (either to much or not enough).

I am also using liquid co2 as well

[/quote]
cheers buddy. I have ordered a powerhead

where would be the best place to situate it? beneath the out let or about the co2 diffuser in the right corner?[/quote]

Now this is the question.. I have never owned a corner tank but others maybe able to help you on this.. if it was me I would situate it in a different area to the inlet pipe to allow for maximum flow.. Im ging to be honest mate I dont know the exact place to put this as I have never owned one.. but what you dont want is the inlet and power head facing one another as the flow will just form dead spots.. Can anyone help on this subject??

JAK

Back