• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A Rare Occurrence!

GHNelson

Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
Hi Folks
This is the second time my established Crypt sp nurii has produced a spathe in the space of a few months!
The last spathe didn't open, but this one did :happy:....the picture don't do the deep burgundy colour of the flower justice:sorry:...enjoy!
Crypt sp Nurii Rosen Maiden in flower Nov 2020..jpg

hoggie

Hi , I have been keeping Cryptocoryne Nurii var. rosen maiden for a while. What I have noticed is they do better in a lower tds tank with sand compared to a higher tds tank with gravel. Both tanks are dirted.

Hi
This Crypt sp can be a tad challenging to get started...especially from Invitro:(.
I've tried a few times, and lost them....could well be my water parameters are not conducive for young Invitro plantlets!
Cheers hoggie🍻

Hi , I have been keeping Cryptocoryne Nurii var. rosen maiden for a while. What I have noticed is they do better in a lower tds tank with sand compared to a higher tds tank with gravel. Both tanks are dirted.
I think they’re from Blackwater rainforest streams with very soft water which might explain it. The one I got from @hogan53 has been growing surprisingly fast in a high tech tank which uses rainwater. It’s a lovely plant with great colours on it, I’d definitely recommend it.

cheers

Conor

I think they’re from Blackwater rainforest streams with very soft water which might explain it. The one I got from @hogan53 has been growing surprisingly fast in a high tech tank which uses rainwater. It’s a lovely plant with great colours on it, I’d definitely recommend it.
Depends on who you ask... here's an opinion (seems legit) that Crypt. nurii var raubensis (sometimes also branded as 'Rose Maiden') is from hard-water limestone streams whilst it is Crypt. nurii var nurii that is from acidic rainforest waters. https://www.cryptocoryneworld.org/Document service_files/Jacobsen2015b-rau_TAG28.pdf
Unsurprisingly, the trade has only the vaguest of consistency with any of the more systematic taxonomies.

I can confirm that it grows quite well in my soft water conditions.

Hi
When I purchase invitro Crypts especially Flamingo/Nurii.....I wash the gel off, and leave the plants on the surface till I see nice root growth and increased size!
I can say this improves the chances of not losing the plant to catastrophic destruction/melt.

Back