• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A Stupid Plant/Substrate-Related Question

Okay, so this is probably a really really really really really really really really (you get the idea) stupid question.

I'm going to set up a tank after Christmas with a substrate base of ADA AquaSoil, topped with a mix of graded gravel (i.e. 8mm grains down to 2mm) and sand. Thetank will be mostly Crypts.

I was just thinking...will the new shoots be able to push through all of that substrate?

You'll know the answer after a year if you try to remove them!!!! and I guess that statement tells you the answer.

AC

Haha, thanks Andy, I knew they would grow etc but I was just curious to know if they would definately be able to get through all of that substrate. I thought it was a pretty stupid question :lol:

Roots are pretty powerful things!!! Just take a look in your garden!!! Even concrete and Tarmac can't stop tree roots! so think about in your tank where the substrate is already 'broken'

AC

SuperColey1 said:
Roots are pretty powerful things!!! Just take a look in your garden!!! Even concrete and Tarmac can't stop tree roots! so think about in your tank where the substrate is already 'broken'

AC

True, true. Thanks for clearing this up.

There will be no problem with the plants growing through but why are you using Aquasoil underneath gravel? It's designed to use as the topping to powersaand or on its own. If you want a base layer with gravel over it why not get something like Tropica which is cheaper and designed to fill that roll?

I'm putting gravel etc over it because it's gonna be a biotope and that's the substrate which will be most natural. I could go with Tropica, but I already have the AquaSoil lying around so there's no point in spending more money!

Fair enough! Just thought you might not realise but sounds like you've done your research. What Biotope is it you're doing?

Back