• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A Tale of Two Tanks

Tom72

About a year ago I posted this photo
1A99A02A-6C64-4E47-AD4C-501299F29882.jpeg

I live close to the Yorkshire dales and have been ruminating on an idea using locally sourced hard scape and a scape inspired by walks in Wharfefale. This initial idea culminated 2 Tanks,
The Riverside scape Iwagumi style:
A79B95B7-DA99-4098-8701-E45954BE47F2.jpeg

And
The Woodland Pool nature style:
F209045C-4B35-4C59-B790-52EBEAE8C8AC.jpeg

The River side started amazingly using advanced plants, the tank for the first 4 weeks was amazing, but then I was a victim of diatoms and literally everything has died, the window for introducing the clean up crew was miss timed as I didn’t get an all clear on nitrites so couldn’t get the crew in. It now looks like this:
C8B381D0-B9F6-448D-808A-4C8C80A63FC9.jpeg

I am totally gutted on whats happened, but I hope I have rescued what I can, the eleocharis at the back was melting so I have trimmed and replanted mosses and ricardia will be ok. So now I need a ground spreader which will weave through the cobbles, I am thinking H . Cuba but worried the Armani’s will pull it up.
The lower tech Pond Tank had bumpy start. I had lots of fungi type biofilm which was all over the wood, and a bit of a swampy smell which wasn’t pleasant. I am very pleased it all cleared up and the tank is looking brilliant:
78F903E0-793E-49DF-999D-D23EEE9B598D.jpeg

I just think it needs some ground cover in the front, suggestions welcome.

I really like the fish choice in the first scape, I think when the eleocharis fills in it will be beautiful.

Marsilea hirsuta might work. It has a kind of woodland floor plant type leaf shape and is an easy plant

I really like the fish choice in the first scape, I think when the eleocharis fills in it will be beautiful.

Marsilea hirsuta might work. It has a kind of woodland floor plant type leaf shape and is an easy plant

Thanks, I was up at Horizon Aquatics who have provided a lot of the gear for the 2 set ups. Originally I was going to have white clouds but they weren’t ready for sale, but they had these Blood Finned Tetra, as soon as I saw them with the silver and red, as well as their streamlined bodies I knew they were perfect for this set up.
I really love the green Kabotai Rasbora. You can’t see them to great in the pictures but they really pop out in the pond tank. They look great with the galaxy danios that are so shy.

Marsilea could be a contender, I would use 1-2grow though

Back