• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A very English Spring...The end (tank sold)

Ian Holdich

Well, i went to see Mark Evans this afternoon and he kindly donated a couple of bits of Manzi to the Ian cause...well this sparked another re scape in the corner tank. There has also bee a couple more stems added to the tank, they are all small at the moment so they aren't in eyes view yet. They all sit at the back. Mark also kindly donated the legendary Hydrocotle that came directly out of Amanos tank in Japan. I will carry on the donation when it starts taking off...I will list the plants later.

heres the pics

The wood
manzi1.jpg

The Hydro
manzi5.jpg

more of the Hydro
manzi3.jpg

manzi6.jpg

FTS
manzi2.jpg

comments welcome!

Re: A very English Spring

This wood is certainly hard to work with in a corner tank...i have already had a move around as the 3 peaks wasn't doing it for me. It looked differently when i was messing with it outside the tank lol. I will post pics up soon...

round 2 with the wood!

manzi7.jpg

to me this looks better.

Hi Ian.

With manzi wood, there's so many combos you can do with just 2 bits.

There's one branch that looks straight. Remember to look at it front on, and twist until the branch shows it's 'arched' or 'bent' side.

When scaping with wood, we are often looking down on it. Always stand back and look at the whole picture. :thumbup:

If you do have straight bits, try to put them 45degrees and below pointing outwards. The real bendy bits are great for upright branches.

cheers for the advice Mark, well after playing for a couple of hours (ps i have learned not to be so hasteful!). I think i have finally got the wood just how i wanted it! lol. In fact i know this is how the wood will stay. With our new baby due in a week, this is how the tank will stay for at least 6 months to a year!

atlast1.jpg

atlast2.jpg

comment welcome!

thanks Chump, i didn't think i'd manage to make the wood look good, it was really hard to work with in the corner tank. Nice to hear some good feedback. Thank you, it means a lot.

wood looks spot on now :), as said above be great to see how it fills in.

massive improvement with the wood looks ace

Thinking you did a great job with your wood, thinking it looks very natural and best of luck with the new addition

Re: A very English Spring...happy with the wood!

This is what makes a journal so great - seeing those subtle tweeks that we all go through.

You've got it spot on now, looks ace :thumbup:

wood looks spot on now , as said above be great to see how it fills in.

Thanks for the compliment M_att, i also have just read what has happened to your tank mate. The same thing happened to me when my little one was 2, he ripped out some big swords and threw in a pot of food. Your's sounds a lot worse though...good luck.

massive improvement with the wood looks ace

Thanks Mate :thumbup:

Thinking you did a great job with your wood, thinking it looks very natural and best of luck with the new addition

Thank you, theres only one week til due date now...then let the no sleep commence! :wideyed:

This is what makes a journal so great - seeing those subtle tweeks that we all go through.

You've got it spot on now, looks ace

Than you twg, it feels right now! :thumbup:

I have added a load of Carbon to the filter as the tannin release is immense! I'm not sure if you can see from this...

inroom.jpg

A very English Spring...happy with the wood!

Yeah the wood in my tank has been making my water dingy for ages. I didn't soak it though as I live in a flat and have no barrels. Just had another look definatly a big improvement. Has it effected u flow?

Has it effected u flow?

I think i have about mastered the flow in a corner tank now. I have had the tank nearly 2 years and after much trial and error, the flow in the tank is sorted.

It looks very nice and I know just what you mean about corner tanks being tricky!

Thanks Viper, they do get easier as you practice with them. In the future i'd like to try an Iwagumi in the corner tank or a Dutch tank. Now i think that would be testing.

heres a pic of the stems at the back, that you can't see on the main pics...

stems.jpg

Yes now that would be testing - to much for me in my corner tank, I'm 5 months in and still moving things the get the flow right. Are you using the standard tank lighting?

Yes, i'm using the standard Juwel lighting, i find the 2XT5's plenty, the tank can grow most things. For me the flow is much more important in a corner unit, ensuring all the plants get what they need. Heres a vid and you can see where i position my Koralia and outlet. *edit, the Koralia is in the top left hand corner.

just a couple of stem growth in the last few days...

green2.jpg

green1.jpg

the scape is now one week old, give or take moving the wood!lol

The Hydrocotyle 'japan' seems to have taken a hit...I'm unsure whether its due to it's submersed growth, so will keep an eye on it. The Amano shrimp are on it constantly, which is a little ironic really.

japan1.jpg

The rest of the tank appears to be going from strength to strength. The stems are doing well, after one trim.

japan2.jpg

Back