• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A Yorkshire Beck - 120l....

Myrtle

This is the first time I've done a journal so you'll have to bear with me! This tank is basically going to be a new home for my pencilfish and the concept of the scape is a little beck that used to run near my house when I was a lass in God's own County - Yorkshire. I am planning on staying low maintenance as I have too many hobbies to dedicate all my time to just one :lol: . I have tried to choose plants that resemble British natives, ie Crypts for Dock, Marsilea for Clover etc though I don't know how sucessful it will be!

The specs are:
Tank: Fluval 120l
Filtration: Tetratec EX700
Substrate: Inert gravel, topped with JBL Aquabasis, topped with sand, then stones!
Planting: Transferring plants from old tank (Crypt balansae and Java moss). Ceratopteris thalictroides (temporary) and Java fern. Awaiting delivery of E. tenellus and Marsilea angustifolia.

This is how it looks to date:
DSCN0684.jpg

DSCN0682.jpg

More than likely too busy for most, it's not exactly iwagumi!

Re: A Yorkshire Beck - 120l

Looking forward to seeing this planted, the substrate looks great!

I realised that I forgot to mention the lighting! It is 2 x 20W T8, basically what came with it
Flygja, that does look nice, perhaps if the Marsilea doesn't work or I manage to kill it I'll give it a bash.

Mark, I wondered if anyone would notice that, I really should have moved it but photography isn't one of my strong points as you can see. Certainly not compared to yours anyhow! It's another of my many hobbies and is the beginnings of a paper mache weasel. I have too many hobbies and the summer revolves around competing with my dogs in agility and surveying and recording insects, butterflies and moths which results in my tanks tend getting somewhat neglected. This is the reason for sticking with low maintenance on this one. I have all the CO2 kit unused at the moment with a 1/2 full FE and have been internally debating the possibility of running the CO2/ferts over the winter when I have time to do all the required maintenance and revert to non-CO2/low ferts over summer. Would this just be asking for algae troubles as I experienced on my 200l when I couldn't keep up?

Nice start to the scape JO....Enjoying the river pebble effect.

Now I know I dont get out too much but when have Weasels been one eared and pink...or is the paper mache model not complete.... Don't tell me it's abstract art.....LOL

:D It's a work in progress along with about half a dozen other assorted animals!

I trnsferred some of the plants from the old tank into the new one today. After sitting looking at it for a few days I've decided that there are a few stones that need replacing as the colours are wrong but I'd like some other opinions too if that's ok?
DSCN0690.jpg

The bottom right one is too pale and there are a few that are too red. I wish they were all the same colour but I could only afford 1 bag :(

I know very little about this, but I would say that the white pebble at the front right does catch your eye when you look at the tank.

The rest of it looks pretty stunning, in my humble opinion.

Think your weasel needs to see a vet though ;)

Looking good. Nice to see some fresh ideas an different use of stone etc. Also like the 'aquascape' rather than 'landscape' aspect too.

Keep us updated.

AC

I really appreciate all your kind words! I do like the 'landscape' interpretations and have one in my 220l, or rather did as I have taken all the hardscape out as it was seriously covered in exceedingly long filamentous algae which appeared after a 'bargain' ebay buy of crypts...

The scape makes a refreshing change Jo,the stone arrangement is a nice convex shape and it adds depth through the middle if you plant with the depth on mind it will look really nice, :thumbup:
regards,
john.

I've had my first set-back today. I checked my email to find a message from The Aquatic Room saying they were having a problem with their supplier and would have to cancel my order :( . I can't really blame them but it's still frustrating as I had planned to plant heavily from the start and wil ow have to wait until next weekend to sort it. However, it does leave me in the position to tweak my planting plan. In fact I have to change it as I can't find anywhere else that does all the plants I want :rolleyes: .
So... Any thoughts on plants bearing in mind the lighting (2 x 20w T8)? I was looking at going through TGM but the prices are scary! Are they far superior as their prices imply or just expensive?

misscaretaker said:
I've had my first set-back today. I checked my email to find a message from The Aquatic Room saying they were having a problem with their supplier and would have to cancel my order :( . I can't really blame them but it's still frustrating as I had planned to plant heavily from the start and wil ow have to wait until next weekend to sort it. However, it does leave me in the position to tweak my planting plan. In fact I have to change it as I can't find anywhere else that does all the plants I want :rolleyes: .
So... Any thoughts on plants bearing in mind the lighting (2 x 20w T8)? I was looking at going through TGM but the prices are scary! Are they far superior as their prices imply or just expensive?

Yeah the sponsors having expensive plants so some cheap some not confuses me too, I mean at Pets @ Home they are all a base prices of pretty cheap if I remember, somewhere around the £4 mark, bearing in mind this is for Tropica. And then at my work (Maidenhead) we have Pots all £3 each or 5 for £12. Except for ocassionally we get specials such as really big Anubias which we put at £4. But otherwise the pots are £3 whether you want say HC or a foot tall Echinodorus (no lie.) The ones at my work are all Aquafleur btw.

I find P@H pretty pants for plants unless you want algae-ridden or non-aquatic (the one in Basingstoke is anyway). Our local MA has a few decent enough plants, but when I went last week they were a bit thin on the ground. I think it'll have to be either TGM or AE...

Planted box and fluid sensor are both as good if not better than TGM for plants.

Well, I bit the proverbial bullet and went for TGM as I have heard nothing but good things about the quality of their plants and as I've spent £50+ on them (don't tell my husband :shh: ) I didn't want to risk it! I have decided that I'm going to run the CO2 and have therefore gone for some plants that I wouldn't have normally considered for 1.25 wpg. What the hell, it's only money :crazy: and I work hard for it!
I've gone for the E tennellus and bolbitis as before but added Ranunculus papulentus and as suggested, Hydrocotyle sibthorpioides. It remains to be seen whether they will be ok with lowish light plus pressurised CO2 so I've got my fingers crossed!

If it's t5 you'll probably find they all do fine. Bolbitis is a low light plant anyways, E.t is co2 hungry but not overly highlight too, you'll be fine I'm sure.

Back