• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A Yorkshire Beck - 120l....

Re: A Yorkshire Beck - 120l

The lights are T8, but I have some T5 and ballast if they really struggle. I've been doing a lot of reading about high light plants doing well as long as there is pressurised CO2 so I'm going to give it a go. I'm sure the Bolbitis will be fine and the E. tenellus should be; it's really the Hydrocotyle and Ranunculus that I feel I'm taking a gamble on!

I think you have made the rightchoice with TGM....My local Maidenhead does get a variety of plants in but they are only at their best when first delivered. After a few days the plants are pretty tattered and showing signs of algea growth. Shame really that more LFS do not tend to their planting sections.

I ordered some mosses and Pogostemon this wk and they couldn't be bothered to order it in..... :mad:

TGM are more expensive but you will get A1 :clap: plants that will look the business and be robust, more than you can say aout alot of LFS stock.

Enjoy your aquascaping

I was hoping to have some nice photos of the tank almost finished (bar the plants from TGM) tonight but that's not to be. Saturday night I transfered the rest of the plants from the old tank (some Java moss and tatty vallis) and put the fish, shrimp and African Dwarf Frog in their new home. The backing went on (black) and all looked well, if a little cloudy but the flow from the Tetratec ex700 was poor so I took it apart and gave the media a bit of a clean in the old tank water to try to improve the flow. Needless to say it didn't make a blind bit of difference. However I noticed a small but rapidly increasing puddle in the cabinet and on closer inspection realised the filter was leaking :arghh: . It's been leaking from the primer button for a while but now it's threatening to empty the tank contents on the floor. Luckily I got a free filter with the tank (Fluval 3 plus internal) so I've put some of the old media in there and have my fingers crossed until I can get hold of Tetra. The flow is far better with this little internal but it's just so darned ugly and I can't afford a replacement for the TT at the moment, though I'd like to get an Eheim when I get the cash. Keep your fingers crossed that the little filter will be adequate and I don't get home from work tomorrow to a tank full of dead fish...

Call tetratec and complain, their customer support are excellent.

Whilst waiting for my plants from TGM I thought I'd share some photos of the inhabitants. The photos were taken before the background went on so the pencilfish are a bit pale ans they prefer subdued lighting and dark surroundings.

One of the cherry shrimp
DSCN0692.jpg

Amano shrimp
DSCN0699.jpg

African Dwarf Frog
DSCN0696.jpg

Golden Pencilfish (nannostomus beckfordi)
DSCN0693.jpg

As you can see, my photography skills aren't up to much!

So far, there's been a little melting of the crypts which I was expecting but otherwise it's ticking along ok for the time being. Tetra are sending a new motor head for the ex700 but to be honest I'm considering getting a new one anyway, possibly one of the AquaOne range as I don't trust the tetra not to leak again. For the moment I'm stuck with the fluval 3+ internal which although looks awful actually has a better flow rate than the tetra ex700...

Hi Jo,i have an e-heim 2028 stood in my shed doing nothing,you are welcome to use it as long as you want until you save enough for your own eheim,all it needs is filter media,
regards,
john.

That's a very kind offer John! Amazingly the new motor head arrived this morning, I only rang them Tuesday lunchtime!! That's what I call service! I haven't had chance to test it yet as I'm out training the dogs tonight but tomorrow night we'll see if it cures the leak. I've been trawling the 'net and have found some really good priced for Eheim filters at Croxwell (I think!) Aquatics. Aquatics Online have also got some good prices on all their externals so maybe an early Xmas present...

Hmm, just tried the new motor head and all looked well for about 5 minutes and then it started pouring out again... To send any more parts Tetra want the receipt details which is difficult as it was 2nd hand. A new filter beckons I think, but not a tetratec again or fluval as the noise levels are just too high!

I had an email from TGM on Thursday saying the plants had been dispatched so I was rather disappointed when by Saturday evening it had not arrived as I had opted for express delivery :( . I contacted TGM and they in turn contacted Parcelforce who first said that they had tried delivering but there was no-one home (there was no card left) and then said that there were problems with the address! Hopefully by Monday they will arrive but I'll be at work so I'll have to pick up on Tuesday meaning they'll have been in transit for 6 days!! This is why I don't buy mail order fish; they'd all be dead by then! I know this isn't TGM's fault so I'm not holding them responsible but it's still so annoying.
I've ordered a new filter (Eheim Pro 3 2073 + media) which I found for £134 from Coxwell Aquatics. By far the best price I could find online although I expect someone will find a better one!

After an awful lot of to-ing and fro-ing, my plants finaly arrived this morning! Yay!! :D . It turned out that they'd put the wrong house number on the box and then after rearranging delivery to my workplace, Parcelforce failed to deliver it there :thumbdown: . TGM were very good trying to sort it out and ended up resending the order with the right house number plus some extras to make up for the trouble - XL Bolbitis which is HUGE!
Still awaiting the new filter but hopefully I'll get planted tomorrow as it's agility training tonight. Pictures in the next few days then!!

Oh, and I popped into my local MA yesterday on the offchance that they'd have some Pygmy Corydoras in and guess what? They did, so there are now 6 of them in with the 2 new Bristlenose juvies. Funny thing is that the Pygmies seem to think that they are Pencilfish and have been shoaling with them which looks really nice as they look like baby Pencilfish!

Re: A Yorkshire Beck - 120l...Finally planted!

Well, a lot of fiddling and a whole tube of superglue later it's finally planted! Yay! The first to go in was the huge amount of Bolbitis:
DSCN0730.jpg

After separating all the tangled roots I felt like I had about 1/2 a mile of the stuff (some is sitting in my other tank as there just wasn't room for it! I was trying to avoid putting anything in there as I'm battling hair algae and staghorn atm). It took the entire tube of superglue to attach it as I bought the liquid by mistake so most of it ended up on me :lol:
I ended up with 4 pots of Echinodorus tennelus which also took an age to separate and remove the dead leaves from around the edge of each plantlet. I debated whether to trim it before planting and decided against it, purely to make it easier to plant, having no tools other than what nature gave me, ie my hands. I may give it a trim in a couple of days but I'm not sure yet. Any thoughts?
The Hydrocotyle is a beautiful plant which incidentally smells very strong if you crush a leaf, very much lke Herb Robert so I wonder if it is i the same family as the geraniums? I really hope this survives until I get my C02 sorted.
The water is still rather cloudy so I took a couple of quick pics so you can get an idea of it. Please excuse the horrid internal filter, I'll take a proper photo once the water clears, though that may be a while with that thing filtering it...
My husband says he likes it which is a bonus, though he'd say he liked anything to make sure his dinner doesn't end up in the dogs!
DSCN0748.jpg

Apologies for the terrible photo, I'm no David Bailey with my point and click camera... The pebbles aren't that bright and the E. tennelus isn't yellow in real life. Looking at it,I think the Hydrocotyle needs to be further into the corners but I'm trying to avoid the 'symmetrical' look :( I'm really disappointed with the picture, it looks so much nicer in real life, even if I do say so myself :lol:
Thanks for looking!

Re: A Yorkshire Beck - 120l....Finally planted!

i think this looks great.

I'm not sure what settings you've used for the image, but maybe underexpose it a little? :thumbup:

i really like this it looks great love the bolbitis :)

i would take some off your hands if you want to sell any :)

Mark Evans said:
i think this looks great.

I'm not sure what settings you've used for the image, but maybe underexpose it a little? :thumbup:

Thanks for the nice words, though I'm not sure how to underexpose with my camera so I'll just keep playing with the settings, it's only a Nikon coolpix which is fab for photographing on macro but it doesn't seem to like the tanks!

alan_uk said:
i really like this it looks great love the bolbitis :)

i would take some off your hands if you want to sell any :)

Thanks Alan, it's the first time I've used Bolbitis and I'm really pleased with the darkness of the leaves. Looking at your tank, I think you'd need even more than I've got spare to make an impression, it's one massive tank!

Note to self: learn to multi-quote...

Bit of a sad day today as I had to euthanise one of the pencilfish :arghh: He had been having balance issues whilst still in the other tank (I think it's the same one, it's a bit hard to tell them apart!) but had perked up in the last few weeks. He was going downhill fast today though so R.I.P. little fishy. They're well over 3 yrs old now and their lifespan is 2-3 yrs so I think it was just his time. I'm down to 9 Pencils now with an unfortunate ratio of 5m to 4f so when this new filter finally arrives I'll be going to pick up some new ones which MA@Basingstoke are ordering for me. Apparently they don't sell well so they only order them in which is a shame as they are lovely fish. I'd quite like to have a go at breeding them but with 15dkh hatching is never going to happen :lol:

lol yea its quite a size i dont know how people do gigantic tanks lol must take some up-keep

i know it would take a while to fill out but i would be happy to buy your spare if you fancy selling it :) just pm me with a price if your interested :)

Re: A Yorkshire Beck - 120l....new photos

I finally managed to get some slightly better photos, though I had to muck about with them to get the colours more accurate. They still aren't great but definitely better than the last ones and I removed the equipment for these. Excuse the reflection of the flash...

The right hand side:
DSCN0800.jpg

DSCN0788.jpg

DSCN0793.jpg

Left side:
DSCN0787.jpg

Full tank shot:
DSCN0801.jpg

Hope you like it!

love the planting Jo,i cant wait for it to grow in as it will look really natural,
regards,
john.

Back