• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A Yorkshire Beck - 120l....

He's right, it's a very refreshing and promising scape. You've obviously some talent!

Seeing as it's been a week now since planting I thought I'd do a quick update. The piece of bogwood I have for the BN plecs has been moved, though I'm still not happy with it, it just doesn't fit anywhere. The Java Fern is now floating ready to be attached tomorrow along with the moss and the Hydrocotyle seems to be doing well, showing new growth already. There was a little melting on some leaves that were damaged in transit but otherwise it's doing well. I've weighed down some of the stems with small stones to hopefully aid rooting on the runners. I've taken a couple of 'working' pictures (ie I couldn't be bothered to remove all the hardware :shh: ) which should hopefully be a bit better than the last ones as I've been reading up on photgraphing aquariums but probably not much better! The new filter has been marked as 'dispatched' so I'm hoping it'll come tomorrow...

I'm going to attempt some proper pics tomorrow so watch this space :lol:

The Hydrocotyle and a cherry
DSCN0852.jpg

Full tank
DSCN0838.jpg

Thanks for looking :thumbup:

The new filter finally arrived today and not a minute too soon, the fish were beginning to suffer after 2 weeks of underfiltration. The new filter is an Eheim Pro 3 2073 which is rated at 1050lph which whilst not quite 10x turnover is as close as I could get whilst not making it unbearable for the pencilfish who really prefer slower water. I set up the spraybar on the left wall of the tank with the diffuser beneath it so the flow is going through the bolbitis to (in theory) negate any dead spots in it. However the area beneath the spraybar has a distinct lack of movement so I think there's still a bit of adjustment in order. Now I just have the Java fern and moss to attach tonight.

The fish are looking a lot better for the new filter and I have some more on order which should bring my total to about 25 pencils. They were due to be in at my local MA on Tuesday but they are being shipped from Indonesia and with the bad weather they've had there, they've not been dispatched yet. I am having to be very strict with myself in the meantime as I've fallen for a pair of Cockatoo cichlids which a) wouldn't fit with the scape and b)would have my shrimplets for breakfast!
I have moved the Java fern and attached some of the moss but still have some left to put in. Maybe tomorrow night. The Hydrocotyle is sending out lots of new leaves and runners whilst some of the old ones are looking a bit worse for wear. The E tennelus is also sending out loads of runners with the little plantlets attached so I a happy that they will both do ok. The crypts have stopped melting and are sending out new leaves constantly! The tank is still algae free (is there a crossed fingers smilie?) apart from one tiny circle on the front glass, barely 1mm diameter that the Bristlenoses missed.
With the plants I also got some duckweed which I don't mind at the moment until it gets out of control and some Urticaria minor which I am unsure whether to remove or not. Its growing well, as it would, and I'm a little worried it may become invasive.

I finally got some proper shots without equipment in the tank but I've had to add a bit of sand I had in between the larger stones for the pygmy corys which seemed to knock the white balance regardless of what adjustments I made to it so I may look for some dark sand instead as it is far too bright even when viewing the tank in person. Anyhow, here are the photos (any tips on keeping the fish still :lol: ?)

The Pygmies (apologies for the slightly yellow hue!)
DSCN0883.jpg

Full Tank
DSCN0874_01.jpg

Hope you like it!

Quick non-photographic update!
The Hydrocotyle is looking somewhat sad as all the original leaves have died off but there is plenty of new growth. The E tennellus has gone mad and the cryps are all looking great! The only problem is a bit of BBA caused by having to turn the CO2 on/off manually until I can afford a new solenoid and a bit of GDA which came with the Bolbitis but it's keeping the Bristlenoses happy.
I was having trouble sourcing new pencilfish as mine are a little aged now so decided it was the perfect time to go for the smaller Rainbows I've been longing for, therefore it is now home to a shoal of 14 Threadfin Rainbows (finding females proved a bit of a challenge) and a group of 9 rehomed Celebes Rainbows who are spawning continuously at the moment, though not fertile eggs :( (yet!). Unfortunately the dominant male Threadfin is more interested in the female Celebes than the female Threadfins so I feel a breeding tank coming on over Xmas....

Still no photos I'm afraid, sorry.

The Celebes have begun breeding properly so the tank is geared up to that at the moment which means a 14 hour photoperiod and a slight algal outbreak but only on the Bolbitis so far. I am now the proud mum of 4x1month old Celebes fry plus 10 or so eggs close to hatching :D. The threadfins are also breeding but I've not collected the eggs until I can get a culture of paramecium up and running.

The hydrocotyle is still struggling but everything else is storming away and I'll try to get some pictures up soon!

Back