• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Hi @Nick potts , That is interesting. 3-4 is definitely the lower end of what I've come across so far... Not not say that lower GH is not possible if the shrimps Calcium needs are otherwise met by food sources. What kind of shrimps are you keeping? and what's your Ca ppm vs. Mg ppm.?

Cheers,
Michael
I only keep neocaridina, and Ca and Mg would be around 15ppm/6ppm, though I don't test.

I do feed a lot, both to the tank in general and specifically the shrimp who get a mixed feed daily of different shrimp foods.

Hi @Happi. I wonder if SO4 is much safer vs Cl though when it comes to plants, shrimps or fish why don't people like too much SO4 ? I totally get the solubility concern if you premix (which you could just as well avoid doing... I never considered premixing my Macro/remins as it seems to be marred in issues mostly related to solubility and adverse interactions - traces is a different story and I do premix those).

Interesting... I did not know. Do you know how much?

Cheers,
Michael
I assume one reason is solubility and the other one is unknown. maybe we should ask someone who is afraid of high SO4, i myself don't like adding S or Cl in excess as i prefer low TDS and clean water.

here is what you are adding when you add CaNO3:

1644183050282.png

one have to reach these levels using extremely excessive level of SO4. this is also found in your filter media, where there is oxidized Fe, Mn etc.

1644185383003.png

1644185447854.png

The levels do not have to be excessive, I had a nano tank with shrimp where there was a cm or two of Tropica Plant Soil over a half cm of Tropica Plant Soil Powder that turned into a Hydrogen Sulphide gas factory, the remineralisation mixture in use was BeeShrimp Mineral GH+ which is composed of 16.91% Sulphate. The Catalyst for the production of Hydrogen Sulphide gas was a generous sprinkling of BacterAE on the bottom tank glass before any plant soils were added. The conditions were bad enough that it outright killed a Pygmy Pea Puffer that liked to dig in the substrate for snails, must have taken a face full, totally fine then suddenly dead. Took me a while to figure out what happened at first then when the Aquarium didn’t pass the sniff test I went stirring in the substrate and immediately released visible pockets of gas with the unmistakable repulsive odour that Hydrogen Sulphide has.

:)

The levels do not have to be excessive, I had a nano tank with shrimp where there was a cm or two of Tropica Plant Soil over a half cm of Tropica Plant Soil Powder that turned into a Hydrogen Sulphide gas factory, the remineralisation mixture in use was BeeShrimp Mineral GH+ which is composed of 16.91% Sulphate. The Catalyst for the production of Hydrogen Sulphide gas was a generous sprinkling of BacterAE on the bottom tank glass before any plant soils were added. The conditions were bad enough that it outright killed a Pygmy Pea Puffer that liked to dig in the substrate for snails, must have taken a face full, totally fine then suddenly dead. Took me a while to figure out what happened at first then when the Aquarium didn’t pass the sniff test I went stirring in the substrate and immediately released visible pockets of gas with the unmistakable repulsive odour that Hydrogen Sulphide has.

I am sorry about your loss there @X3NiTH :( Given the catalyst added, and perhaps other adverse conditions such as lack of flow throughout the substrate, I think the situation you describe might be a bit of an outlier. In any event, it is very valuable to know and adds to the pile of concerns that makes me lying awake at night... Thanks for that :lol: . I am trying to understand more about the short term / long term interactions between the chemicals we are adding to our tanks which I think should be better understood by the Chemistry-challenged people among us, including myself.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
calcium nitrate tetrahydrate (Ca(NO3).2H20) as a salt, but it is a potential explosive so may be covered by legislation in some Countries.
Well, that might explain why I don't get a lot of hits on Amazon US when I search for that particular compound.

Since you used the word explosive.... note to the Analyst at the NSA who are intercepting and analyzing this: This is an Aquarium forum - we concern ourselves with plants and animals that lives in glass containers filled with water. While we are strange, we are also perfectly harmless and safe... for now at least :lol:

Cheers,
Michael

Hi all,

Fertiliser grade is usually "Nitrochalk" <"calcium ammonium nitrate">. You can get calcium nitrate tetrahydrate (Ca(NO3).2H20) as a salt, but it is a potential explosive so may be covered by legislation in some Countries.

cheers Darrel

We seem to be able to get it alright over here:

It’s magnesium nitrate I can’t seem to find - those I have found listed as magnesium nitrate seem to have SO4 content?

magnesium nitrate seem to have SO4 content?

This would suggest that it may be derived from mixing Magnesium Sulphate and Calcium Nitrate, the Sulphate content will be the amount of Calcium Sulphate that remains in the solution when it is separated from the Calcium Sulphate precipitate. The ionic solution of Magnesium, Nitrate, Calcium and Sulphate that remains could go through a further process to selectively exchange the Calcium ion (for Magnesium?) leaving only Magnesium, Nitrate and the Sulphate.

The amount of Sulphate will be low in this compound, if there’s a content analysis available it might be helpful to post the Sulphate percentage.

If using this compound and targeting for Nitrate then the Sulphate content will be low to negligible, if targeting for Magnesium content then the Sulphate content will be even lower.

Hi all,

Fertiliser grade is usually "Nitrochalk" <"calcium ammonium nitrate">. You can get calcium nitrate tetrahydrate (Ca(NO3).2H20) as a salt, but it is a potential explosive so may be covered by legislation in some Countries.

In my search for salts I managed to buy calcium nitrate tetrahydrate as a source of NO3. Getting KNO3 is completely out of question in Germany. It is also possible to buy magnesium nitrate for agriculture use, but that is mixed with other compounds. Otherwise, magnesium nitrate hexahydrate is extremely expensive (laboratory grade). Below are the specifications of the calcium nitrate salt I got. It has only residual Cl and SO4.

1644338073997.png

Last edited:
but it is a potential explosive so may be covered by legislation in some Countries.
Im on all the fun lists! 😄

Getting KNO3 is completely out of question in Germany.
Ah I didnt know they were stricter in Germany than in Norway with this :wideyed: We have two lists of chemicals, the first one is the no-no-no list and the second one is "We'll be watching you closely" list. Is there not a system like that in Germany? For me KNO3 was on the second list so I took the chance and havent gotten any scary phonecalls yet. I figure if they do call on me I will invite them round to view my tank and discuss why ammonia dosing isnt straight forward in aquariums with fish.

This would suggest that it may be derived from mixing Magnesium Sulphate and Calcium Nitrate, the Sulphate content will be the amount of Calcium Sulphate that remains in the solution when it is separated from the Calcium Sulphate precipitate. The ionic solution of Magnesium, Nitrate, Calcium and Sulphate that remains could go through a further process to selectively exchange the Calcium ion (for Magnesium?) leaving only Magnesium, Nitrate and the Sulphate.

The amount of Sulphate will be low in this compound, if there’s a content analysis available it might be helpful to post the Sulphate percentage.

If using this compound and targeting for Nitrate then the Sulphate content will be low to negligible, if targeting for Magnesium content then the Sulphate content will be even lower.

This is the only stuff I could find in a smaller quantity, and is described as “Magnesium Sulphate with Nitrogen”:

The only other stuff I could see is this, but I don’t really want 25kg:

This is the only stuff I could find in a smaller quantity..
The only other stuff I could see is this, but I don’t really want 25kg..
Im not quite sure if this is a helpful link because im not quite following the thread, but have you looked at Loudwolf (Magnesium Nitrate) ?
I considered ordering from them once on one of my journeys down a rabbithole.
I didnt end up ordering that time so I cant vouch for the site but they seem to sell a lot of useful stuff in convenient quantities.

(For anyone from the Norwegian Police Security Service reading this, when I say useful I mean for making really nerdy custom fertilizer recipes and strictly that)

Im on all the fun lists! 😄

Ah I didnt know they were stricter in Germany than in Norway with this :wideyed: We have two lists of chemicals, the first one is the no-no-no list and the second one is "We'll be watching you closely" list. Is there not a system like that in Germany? For me KNO3 was on the second list so I took the chance and havent gotten any scary phonecalls yet. I figure if they do call on me I will invite them round to view my tank and discuss why ammonia dosing isnt straight forward in aquariums with fish.
"Technical grade" (or above) KNO3 is on on the no-no-no list and cannot be sold to private customers and only registered companies can buy it. The versions that are available are mostly agriculture use are mixed with a significant amount of other substances (and you need to buy bags of 25Kg or so). You can also try to buy KNO3 as food preservative (E252) but this is not straightforward as a private customer and you will always end up in the "we'll be watching you closely" list. I also got into that list because of my 1Kg of CaNO3 ;) But CaNO3 and MgNO3 are sold with less restrictions :rolleyes: The store where I bought the CaNO3 also sells MgNO3 but they only had the expensive high purity version. Otherwise, CaNO3 and MgNO3 can be bought after your ID is verified.

Last edited:
"Technical grade" (or above) KNO3 is on on the no-no-no list and cannot be sold to private customers and only registered companies can buy it. The versions that are available are mostly agriculture use are mixed with a significant amount of other substances (and you need to buy bags of 25Kg or so). You can also try to buy KNO3 as food preservative (E252) but this is not straightforward as a private customer and you will always end up in the "we'll be watching you closely" list. I also got into that list because of my 1Kg of CaNO3 ;) But CaNO3 and MgNO3 are sold with less restrictions :rolleyes: The store where I bought the CaNO3 also sells MgNO3 but they only had the expensive high purity version. Otherwise, CaNO3 and MgNO3 can be bought after your ID is verified.

It’s a strange one as KNO3 is easily obtainable in the UK:

Back