• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

About time 90x45x45 scape

Evening folks, few update pics of the tank
Monte Carlo is bouncing back from a very harsh trim to remove diatoms
21202727510_5b74825c22_c.jpgimage by timyapp
Penthorium sedoides, love this plant not had much success with staurogyne over the years this seems to be a nice replacement
21364600686_e93db91d96_c.jpgimage by timyapp
Tennelus also cut right back to substrate is doing ok now
21399177441_63df4640fd_c.jpgimage by timyapp
I'm not happy with the aromatica though stems could probably benefit from more light but that'll have to wait a while, tempted to trim back to substrate and see what happens now the tank issues seem to be slowing down
21202950518_986820266b_c.jpgimage by timyapp
And a wonky full tank shot to finish :lol: excuse the ottos dinner on the front glass,
21364585556_3eced5cb0b_c.jpgimage by timyapp
Cheers for looking.

Its been a while :) Tanks had its ups and downs mostly co2 related (as always :lol:) little algae here and there but very manageable, I will say though this has to be the slowest growing tank ive ever run including low techs of late :twisted: it takes the carpet around 6 weeks to grow back in, i've added hygrophillia polysperma behind the wood around 5 weeks ago and its only grown an inch :arghh: i keep leaning towards increasing light levels but then the algae is an issue so i keep working on co2 flow and distribution and i'll put up with the slow growth this side of the new year.
22416470704_abc767e85d_c.jpgUntitled by timyapp, on Flickr
doesn't look much different to week 1 :lol:.
cheers for looking.

little update for this one, got a little impatient with the slow growth so added in the other two 39w tubes for a 4 hour burst, since this, there has been more growth in 2 weeks than the previous 6 weeks, it has also highlighted for me i need to improve flow and distribution off the co2 as i have had a little algae creep onto some of the plants rather than just the hardscape, so still some improvements to make but i'm content with the growth rate,
edited iphone pic,
23718225805_b98747a788_c.jpgimage by timyapp, on Flickr
cheers for looking.

I like how the ferns and bolbitis are integrated on the wood. Looks very natural. That rock on the left doesn't float my boat though.

Reactions: tim
Looking as lovely as all your other attempts Tim:). The tank's quite deep isn't it? Could it be the reason behind your co2 issues then Tim? Are you still running the co2 for extended hours? If so,...how many bps please?

Thanks guys :) @ flyga agree on that rock mate, there's a few rocks I'm thinking of removing to make way for more plants after the holidays are over.
@ Faizal I think the co2 issues are down to distribution, a power head which isn't quite strong enough, I'm still running the co2 for an extended period at around 1 bubble a second, though I'm thinking of adding in another filter and trying a reactor in the new year so this may change.
Thanks for the likes and comments guys :)

morning folks, quick update on this scape, for the last couple of weeks i've been running the co2 through a powerhead with a spraybar attached, plants have responded well and the thread alage isn't growing as fast any more, i've also upped the co2 rate and cut some hours off the time, the happy point seems to be co2 on 3 hours before lights and off 2 hours before lights off. Now the holiday period is over, i will start treating the algae with liquid carbon and see if that will see it off for good.
23444367113_744685e802_c.jpgimage by timyapp, on Flickr
thanks for looking.

Love your scape and restraint with light levels. Great master class for newbies !!

Love your scape and restraint with light levels. Great master class for newbies !!
Lovely tank Tim, and a great read.
Thanks guys, things are ticking along though i still have some nasty thread algae in the mc, moss has now been removed and the same algae that was growing on the wood has gone,
24730864515_3368975a6c_c.jpgUntitled by timyapp, on Flickr
other than manual removal once a week i haven't done much about it tweaking flow and co2 seems to have slowed it's growth, i'm not keen on adding amano shrimp as the little buggers always seem to wander off :lol:
anyway good trim of the carpet today and manual removal with a toothbrush, looks much better stems need a trim and it could probably do with an extra wc or two during the week but that's not happening at the moment due to work so i will live with a little for now ;)
after today's trim and wc
24637329871_e75dbaca20_c.jpgUntitled by timyapp, on Flickr
apologies for the iphone pics,
cheers for looking.

IF you don't have any shrimp in there you can use algaefix. It will get rid of that algae. Just need to do a waterchange after.... ;)

Back