• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

About time 90x45x45 scape

Hi folks, couple of algae niggles with this scape, BGA along the substrate line i just cant seem to shift, little staghorn on the ferns, other than that happily watching it turn into an overgrown monster every couple of weeks,
[url=https://flic.kr/p/Gf6myH]26413746401_9f4514e682_b.jpgUntitled by timyapp, on Flickr[/URL]
cheers for looking :)

Attachments

• 26413746401_9f4514e682_b.jpg
    26413746401_9f4514e682_b.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 103
BGA along the substrate line i just cant seem to shift
Blue Green? (I can never decide if I'm transposing these acronyms as intended ;) )

Messy approach - really stir this up to get the chunks out as much as possible AND while running a syphon in place to collect the grime (turn filters off at least), then perform a large water change: 80 - 90% if possible, though you might also do 2 x 50% at some hour interval - note this is equivalent to ~75% single water change.
Then tape off the substrate line to keep it dark for a week or two & see how it goes thereafter

Reactions: tim
Blue Green? (I can never decide if I'm transposing these acronyms as intended ;) )

Messy approach - really stir this up to get the chunks out as much as possible AND while running a syphon in place to collect the grime (turn filters off at least), then perform a large water change: 80 - 90% if possible, though you might also do 2 x 50% at some hour interval - note this is equivalent to ~75% single water change.
Then tape off the substrate line to keep it dark for a week or two & see how it goes thereafter
Yep blue green :) may have found the issue by listening to Mrs Tim, apparently gets an hour or so of direct sunlight on the third of the tank that is worst, blinds fitted last weekend and I may try the tape to see it off, thanks alto.

Hi folks, quick I phone pic of this one
7e53a341645a8c3a381e891172491163.jpg

As I've not had much time of late it generally has a weekly WC and is left to its own devices until a trim becomes a necessity, bit of algae hanging around mostly on the manzi which is becoming a little soft in places, ferns are pretty much overshadowing the stems at the back so the bottoms are suffering a little, on the whole I think a rescape would be easier than trying to tame the jungle, so until that happens I'll let it do its own thing,
As always cheers for looking :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Morning folks, been a while since an update :), this tank had been running for over a year and as of late not had the attention it deserved, a few issues had crept in so I decided it was time for a deep clean over this weekend, removing the ferns showed up some bba and bga on the wood, so the deep clean turned into more of a rescape :lol:
49d8e4b915a8aab8890f5f857dec4e27.jpg

Tank drained I decided it was prudent to make the foreground just sand, after removing the mote Carlo carpet a few months ago, not being able to clean the sand at the front without disturbing the tropica substrate underneath, led to a little bba, sand and rocks for separation in,
dbcf3c9cf14276788cf31e139c90718b.jpg

Wood was soaking in h202 outside in a bin, sorted through the plants,
Have reused mostly slow growers, once the wood was cleaned up it went back in, replanted the background plants.
Buces, bolbitus, and ferns all attached to small lava rocks for easy removal and trimming.
End result,
69677a61e15a51efdb65eaebce5a2797.jpg

I've tried to focus more on ease of maintenance this time round,
So will continue this journal, as it's still About Time,
Cheers for looking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks great:clap:.
Allways been a fan of carpets myself too.But i think the bare forground in this one gives it a nice clean look. It deffenatly works.Well done:).

Looks great:clap:.
Allways been a fan of carpets myself too.But i think the bare forground in this one gives it a nice clean look. It deffenatly works.Well done:).
Thanks Dave, I missed the carpet after I took it out but Mrs Tim prefers the sand and it should be easier to maintain and you know they say happy wife happy life :lol:
Wow,that turned out to be an epic clean up :woot:.
Looks great already :clap:.
Thanks Neil, I should have taken the time to sort the sand properly the first time the carpet came out, for once I'm fairly pleased with how the tanks turned out :)

Looks great! What substrate are you using, just sand? And what is holding that slope up, just the rocks? Looks like it will be a dream to maintain

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Loving it, good Job! :)
Thanks cookie :thumbup:
Looks great! What substrate are you using, just sand? And what is holding that slope up, just the rocks? Looks like it will be a dream to maintain
emoji56.png

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
Hi Bex, thanks for the kind comment, substrate behind the rocks is still the original tropica substrate capped with unipac Fiji gravel, I added a little more Fiji just to make sure the tropica substrate was covered, I've used unipac nyasa sand for the foreground, the slope is just held in place with the rock, focus with this rescape is definitely on ease of maintenance.

Can't wait to watch this one grow in Tim, the old scape looked great to me but if it was starting to suffer due to time restraints then best to do what you have done

Chris

Back