• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

About time 90x45x45 scape

I was thinking of jacking all this in but this tank makes me want to have another bash - the wife will be delighted as she thought my tank was going:)
I've told her it's your fault Tim:lol:

Johns post reminded me I was looking at tank the other day ,overthinking it maybe too critical of my humble effort considering why trying to get to grips with one type of algae I noticed BBA on filter pipes and a detection of a kind of hair algae,thinking I might redo the tank ,then the missis walks up says "dont the fish look well" .Made me feel a little better at least they are not bothered and thriving:)

Johns post reminded me I was looking at tank the other day ,overthinking it maybe too critical of my humble effort considering why trying to get to grips with one type of algae I noticed BBA on filter pipes and a detection of a kind of hair algae,thinking I might redo the tank ,then the missis walks up says "dont the fish look well" .Made me feel a little better at least they are not bothered and thriving:)
Loads of bba in this tank mate, not noticeable from a distance so I just sit a bit further away ;)

My only experience with destroying BBA right now is to up dosing + CO2 as my light was already adequate (as per some discussions with a friend). It was the weirdest thing - I was sure it was going to cause more algae issues but when I upped both the algae literally started to die in front of my eyes (rocks were like half clean, so clean I could lick them, and half covered with algae). This really changed my perception of how and why algae grows - rather than looking at it through a nutrient imbalance, I see it now more like plant happiness. If the plants are happy and thriving, they really suppress algae growth.

Your light looks more than good enough - so my guess is that it's CO2. The tank is quite lush, so even if your dropchecker says green/yellow, that doesn't mean all your plants are getting the CO2 it needs. I have now stopped relying so much on the dropchecker, but more on the plant growth itself. Do you see pearling? If not, and your dropchecker is good - then CO2 dispersion is the next factor I would look at. You may want to consider adding a powerhead or some sort of skimmer that will push the water to the back and into the bolbitis so it can be more exposed to CO2 rich water.

It was definitely co2, I had a cracked co2 diffuser (inline) go un noticed for a couple of weeks, bba covered the rocks and wood over this period, switched back to an in tank diffuser, stable co2 and the brush algae has stopped growing just need to get round to removal, I find most algae issues in high tech tanks are related to co2/ flow issues, the one thing I've noticed though over the years is bba doesn't die off in my tanks once it's there unless I treat with liquid carbon or manually remove it, as for the bolbitus the only time I've ever grown it bba free was in a soft water (RO) shrimp tank.

Quick I phone pic before tomorrow's maintenance
IMG_0023.JPG

Should change the sand at the front and clean up the rocks in the next week or two, time permitting,
Cheers for looking :)

Well it's been a while :eek: this is still running though not always smoothly:lol:, neglected at times other than the weekly water change, so algae issues here and there, iPhone pic
IMG_0365.JPG

Stems have gone, wood has been changed from manzi to plain old bogwood as the manzanita was starting to soften and break. May get round to a complete rescape if life allows,
Cheers for looking :)

Looking great Tim. It's very lush, the sort of growth you can only get from a longterm scape. We don't necessarily see enough of these types of scape.

Back