Above surface plants

Discussion in 'Plant Help' started by Tunafish, 19 Nov 2012.

1. Tunafish

Tunafish Pike man

Can anyone suggest some good plants to grow above the surface of the water. Preferably something with nice leaves. It's for an ada60f, all suggestions would be welcome. Also any links to some good photos would be sweet.

Cheers in advance folks

2. xim

xim Member

3. Tunafish

Tunafish Pike man

Cheers, I forgot to say I'm after some really nice green ones, possibly from South America.

4. dw1305

dw1305 Expert

Hi all,
    Hygrophila corymbosa is good as well, and will often flower on emersed stems.
    hygrophila-sp_slw.jpg

My all time favourite is Heteranthera zosterifolia, you need it to form a tangled mass at the water surface before it produces floating leaves and aerial flowers, but it is worth it. <http://idtools.org/id/aquariumplant...dia/Html/Image_pages/heteranthera_images.html>.

You can get an idea of what a lot of aquarium plants look like emersed from <http://idtools.org/id/aquariumplant...Plants/Media/Html/Other/browse_taxa_list.html>.

cheers Darrel

5. Tunafish

Tunafish Pike man

Has anyone had success with Heteranthera zosterifolia and had it flowering?

6. Tunafish

Tunafish Pike man

That's weird, I've just been looking at that, it looks great!

7. foxfish

foxfish Member

It depends on how much effort you put into keeping the plant humid, if they are exposed to high light & dry heat then it is pretty difficult but if you have high suspended light & regularly mist the plants, most plants can be kept this way...

8. Tunafish

Tunafish Pike man

I've seen some Bolbitis heudelotii in takashi amano videos which look great but I hear they're insanely hard to keep?, if I'm regularly misting it how good are my chances?

9. Swee

Swee Member

I did it, long time ago... I can't remember if I kept the plant above the water, but it did a flower...

146834DSC00933.jpg

10. dw1305

dw1305 Expert

Hi all,
    You can see the floating leaf pointing towards the front of the picture. I they are producing floating leaves they will flower. If you have a lid it makes keeping humidity high easier. The just submerged Hygrophila corymbosa at the front right of the photo is now about 6" above the water surface.

top_view.jpg

cheers Darrel

11. Swee

Swee Member

Yes, we can see an emerged leave, but what I wanted to say, is that I dont remember If I let it grow as emerged version and if it was healthy (the tank was open).

12. dw1305

dw1305 Expert