• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Achieving 30ppm - do I dare turn up the gas?

joeinlondon

My life (and my fishes') with pressurized CO2 is now about five days old, and I still have yet to see the hallowed lime green drop checker, so am seeking advice on my next step.

I started off with the diffuser beneath the internal power filter (rated at 500lph), but this caused a lot of filter burping, a lot of bubbles of different sizes, and only achieved a blue-green on the drop-checker.

Seeing as the tank is small (67L) I have now moved the diffuser to the opposite end of the tank, where the outflow from the filter, as Richard from AE elegantly put it, catches the bubbles 'like a bird in a thermal'. You will see from the picture below how the bubbles are held down by the current:
Diffuser2.jpg

But still, drop checker only gets to blue-green, its greenest being at the end of the day (I think).

Currently the bubble rate on the D&D system is over 1 bubble/sec, but I am wondering if I need to increase this?

Here is the positioning of the drop-checker in relation to the diffuser (note the blue-blue-green colour that I see in the morning, despite the gas coming on 45 mins before lights on):
Dropcheckerpositioning.jpg

And finally for you flow-nuts out there here is a picture showing the tetras hanging in the current that will hopefully take the CO2 laden water back to the other end of the tank:
Tetrasinflow.jpg

Is it time to turn up the gas? Any help as ever will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

I would say up the CO2. Try 2bps and see how you get on. Your fish will soon tell you if theres a problem. The drop checker should respond within a few hours. If it doesn't it might be worth replacing the solution.

are you definately using 4dkh solution (not tap/tank water) in the checker?

Definitely - got it from AE. It does change colour, just not very much.

I would say up the CO2. Try 2bps and see how you get on. Your fish will soon tell you if theres a problem.

S Chong was using 2bs for his high-light tank (which mine is not). Do you think it's safe to go that high?

Bare in mind that every tank is different. What works for one might not work for another. You've got to go by what your drop checker is telling you, and your plants and fish :)

Also, are you sure you haven't got any leaks anywhere? Do you get a good mist of CO2 or just a few bubbles/large bubbles? I have a Rhinox 5000 which is absolute rubbish. The ceramic is poor quality on the one I have (not all, rhinox are generally good). It produces a partial mist and a lot of less mist like bubbles. I had to drive it harder to get good CO2. I've changed it for something else now.

Bubble rate also depends on the bubble checker, mine is so fast I can't even count them LOL
So bubble rate is not a good measure, just pump it a little everyday until you get the right amount, took me about a week of adjustments to get it right.

You've got to go by what your drop checker is telling you, and your plants and fish

Ach you see I don't trust the drop-checker, thinking I must have set it up wrong, but I will creep it up a bit. Diffuser seems to be working okay - mix of mist and tiny bubbles.

I am currently using 1 bps on my 40cm. Have previously had it at 2 bps for "At Forest's Gate". Turn it up a bit and see how you get on

Okay, I'll crank her up a tiny bit tonight, see what things are like at lights off.

took me about a week of adjustments to get it right.

Patience needed as ever.

Thanks for your responses!

Joe

If after an increase you notice the fish gasping for air at the surface, just move it back down to the previous level and leave it at that. Running an air pump during the night like I do would also give the fish a break ;)

Back