• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Acicularis 1st trim

Nick16

hi all, im going to give my hairgrass its 1st trim this weekend. (hopefully)

however, when trimming it, am i taking it down to subtrate level (im guessing yes)
and also, and i cutting any new shoots that have come up away from the main 'clumps' that i initially planted? - or should i try to aviod hacking new shoots.?

cheers

I generally try to avoid cutting new shoots, but there will be plenty within the main plant mass that will get cut. It isn`t too critical in my experience, though. Cutting back Eleocharis sp sure does get messy.

Dave.

I find trimming hairgrass is a 2 person job :)

I siphon a tube close to it, and then snip away :)

Siphon takes away the mess whilst doing a water change. I used to uproot hairgrass before replanting but not any more.

i have a 2 foot deep tank so siphoning is very tricky. i will just turn off all filters and powerheads, then snip away and use a new to scoop up everything that rises to the surface.

with my stems, im just going to snip them at about 1/3rd from the base and replant the rest.

cheers

Leave about 10mm at the base, but otherwise hack away. When you're done, net any floating grass and drop your water level a little so you can wipe away any stuck to the glass. Simples :thumbup:

2009_08100022.jpg

2009_08100024.jpg

Go can easily go lower than I have in these pics. I left a little extra because of the HC amongst the lawn.

Wow that tank does look good James! I love how the blyxa looks almost like fireworks (I really hope someone understands what I mean!).

Back