• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Acrylic aquariums

Annie G

Hi

Does anyone have any experience with acrylic aquariums? If so I would like to know about the pros and cons. Haven’t found a thread about them so I’m guessing there’s a reason most people go with glass.

Thankyou!

Pros: cheaper at bigger sizes, arguable it’s safer too.

Cons: scratches if you breath on it

Hi

Does anyone have any experience with acrylic aquariums? If so I would like to know about the pros and cons. Haven’t found a thread about them so I’m guessing there’s a reason most people go with glass.

Thankyou!

I’ve owned a nano one,

In a nutshell, clarity is far better, this comes at the cost of the acrylic scratching even if you just look at it (obviously I’m being dramatic here).

The acrylic can also yellow over time.

Out of the two I’d go optiwhite glass all day if I’m honest.

Thankyou.

What would cause the acrylic to go yellow? Sunlight?

Thankyou.

What would cause the acrylic to go yellow? Sunlight?
Yes sunlight, and I’d imagine depending on how much and how long the acrylic is exposed for, will determine how fast that yellowing process happens.

As far as the yellowing goes, I’m also not sure if it’s reversible, whereas any scratches can be buffed out periodically (which would obviously require draining and emptying the tank.

I've had a aquaone 980 over 10 years despite a few scratches you can't see them at all. Clarity fine. Worth investing in a acrylic cleaning sponge

Yes sunlight, and I’d imagine depending on how much and how long the acrylic is exposed for, will determine how fast that yellowing process happens.

As far as the yellowing goes, I’m also not sure if it’s reversible, whereas any scratches can be buffed out periodically (which would obviously require draining and emptying the tank.
I would add due to UV. Unless the tank is exposed to direct sunlight or that the artificial light used emits UV I don't think it will yellow. If it does it would take many many years.

I have both and don't have a strong preference if I'm honest, both acrylic and opti-white glass. Acrylic scratching has not been a problem for me - I use a credit card blank as an algae scraper and that's been perfectly fine, so much so that I also use the credit card blank on the glass aquarium when needed, however, if you have young kids that like to run their toys over the surface of everything acrylic would not be a good choice. I haven't noticed any acrylic yellowing either over several years of not-in-direct-sunlight use. Acrylic gives you options in terms of curved shapes you gererally don't get with glass which can be a visually appealing thing depending on what you want and acrylic seams are invisible in a way that might not be true for glass and then for really huge tanks the weight advantages of acrylic become important. That all sounds like a win for acrylic, but I'm really happy with opti-white glass as well and glass seems the default choice unless you specifically require one of the acrylic advantages. If you find a high quality tank you like the look of i suggest that be the decider and not worry too much about whether it is acrylic vs. glass.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am currently awaiting a quote for an acrylic tank. Ultimately this may be the deciding factor.

Back