• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Acrylic Spraybar/Intake

I've bought acrylic tube on ebay for spray bar and there are acrylic lily pipes on ebay. I'm waiting for a 9/12mm set that cost 10.99 inc postage so may be crap but we'll see. Coming from HK so may be a while...

I've bought acrylic tube on ebay for spray bar and there are acrylic lily pipes on ebay. I'm waiting for a 9/12mm set that cost 10.99 inc postage so may be crap but we'll see. Coming from HK so may be a while...

Have you got a link to the acrylic pipes? I'm really thinking that i might attempt to make a spray bar myself. I'm not to sure about making the intake though :D

Thanks

Thanks Tim! I did think about using some acrylic rod (non extruded) to cap the end. I'm more worried about bending the acrylic, i've never done anything like it before. Also i was looking for some tube with a 17mm outer diameter but no one seems to make that size? I have a tetra tec ex1200, the hose dimensions are 16/22 so i need some acrylic tube that my hose will just slide over. I can't seem to find any 18mm either.

How about seeing if you can some with an internal of 20mm and push your hose inside the acrylic ? Ive done this all be it on a 9mm pipe

Lee, I've just been through all this with my Ehiem 2217s. What are the internal dimensions on the intake/outlet that come with your filter?

The intake on mine that went with the 22/16 tubing measured at 17/14 (so 14mm internal diameter). I spent a long time trying to match this without success. The closet I could find was 16/12 or 18/12. I couldn't find 16/14, 17/14 or 18/14. I this the wall thickness is always in whole millimetres. In the end I went with 16/12. On the Eheim the intake is larger than the outlet anyway.

Lee, I've just been through all this with my Ehiem 2217s. What are the internal dimensions on the intake/outlet that come with your filter?

The intake on mine that went with the 22/16 tubing measured at 17/14 (so 14mm internal diameter). I spent a long time trying to match this without success. The closet I could find was 16/12 or 18/12. I couldn't find 16/14, 17/14 or 18/14. I this the wall thickness is always in whole millimetres. In the end I went with 16/12. On the Eheim the intake is larger than the outlet anyway.

Hi squid! The dimensions of my filter intake/outlet are 22mm od, 16mm id.

I'm not sure if i've read your post right, but if you go with a smaller outer diameter then that of your filter hose, how did you fit it to the acrylic pipe? In my case i would have to go with a 17 or18mm od on the acrylic tube so my filter hose would have a snug fit.

I did see some tube with an od of 19mm but the id was 13mml. That might work but i don't want to restrict the flow from my filter.

Hi squid! The dimensions of my filter intake/outlet are 22mm od, 16mm id.

Is that the dimensions of the hose or the original spray bar/lily pipe? It's the dimensions of the rigid plastic spraybar and outlet in the tank you are trying to replace that I was after to see what the internal diameter on those is because that is the important bit.

For example:
My hose is 22/16 (22mm od, 16mm id)
The acrylic tubing I bought is 16/12 (16mm od, 12mm id)
It replaces a solid bent bit of green plastic tube that is 17/14 (17mm od, 14mm id)
However, on the return side of my filter the hose is 16/12 anyway and the supplied spraybar is 13/10.

So check to see what the smallest internal diameter on all the parts is (hoses, tubes, taps, connectors) and don't drop below that.

Back