• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Activated carbon raiding pH

LMuhlen

For my ~35L shrimp tank, I decided to add some activated carbon that I had stored. I used some wood pieces for the decoration and the water has always been yellow since the first days, almost 2 years ago.

Since this tank isn't exactly thriving, I've been slowly testing and adjusting as I see fit, and this carbon test has been on the list for a while. It could even be expanded to my other tanks as well, if things were to improve.

One day after adding a good pack of carbon to the canister, which now in hindsight may have been an exaggerated quantity, the water was clear, but I found a dead caridina. I don't do this often, but I decided to do a round of tests to check if anything had changed, and what I found is that the pH raised from ~6.6 to over 7.6, which is the limit of the scale for my test. KH remains unchanged (something between 0.5 and 1dKH). I thought that maybe with the removal of the tannins which were possibly reducing the pH, it could rise a little, but nothing like this. And considering the low KH, it all seemed very curious.

So after a brief online search, I found that it is very common for activated carbon to raise the pH. One site, from a supplier of carbon, says that no one really knows why this happens, but it is often associated with the presence of ash content in the carbon. And that the pH could raise up to 3 points! And these effects would diminish after 100 to 1000 bed volumes of water processed. I don't really know what that means, but it sounds like a lot of water.

I had never heard any of that before in my aquarium circles, but most people seem to have left activated carbon behind, nowadays.

So my question is, was this expected? Should I just give up on this and maybe buy purigen? This all happened Saturday, so a few days ago, and apparently only that first caridina died, and maybe it was unrelated.

Hi all,
So after a brief online search, I found that it is very common for activated carbon to raise the pH. One site, from a supplier of carbon, says that no one really knows why this happens, but it is often associated with the presence of ash content in the carbon.
It is the oxides of potassium (K), calcium (Ca) etc. that <"cause the rise in pH">. If the carbon (charcoal) has been very efficiently acid washed it won't happen.
KH remains unchanged (something between 0.5 and 1dKH). I thought that maybe with the removal of the tannins which were possibly reducing the pH, it could rise a little, but nothing like this. And considering the low KH, it all seemed very curious.
Yes, it is actually because of the low dKH value that you have a large rise in pH. Water without any buffering pH is a movable feast in soft water, so any small addition of bases (proton acceptors) will cause the pH to rise. You could stop the pH rise happening by adding some more acids (proton donors), the best of these are probably humic and fulvic acids, but these are the compounds that give you the tint in the first place.
Should I just give up on this and maybe buy purigen?
I would want some <"tannin tint in soft water"> and I would be very wary of removing it.

cheers Darrel

I had no more dead shrimps throughout the week, everything seemed normal, except for the through-the-scale pH.

This weekend I planned on removing the activated carbon during maintenance, but when I measured the pH it was at 7.2, which was reassuring not only because it wasn't so high, but mostly because it was inside the test range, so I knew it wasn't at ~9.0 as some sources suggested it could happen...

So it seems that it was a very short-lived effect of the fresh carbon, and I kept it in the filter to see if it helps with some of my other issues with the tank.

Back