• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Actual Shoalers

Yeah, I mean this tank won't be set up for months yet. I'm still in the process of setting up my 35l.

In a really nice Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyphessobrycon_pulchripinnis) on Lemon Tetra's it explains why a some tetra's break up and even become terratorial:

Lemon tetras exhibit an interesting behaviour pattern in the aquarium, replicated by several other characin species, in which males will adopt 'landmarks' within the aquarium and use these as places from which to display as maturity approaches. Displays are principally performed between rival males...
So in this case you do need the threat fish to get them back in a group. However, I wonder if the level of threat to get them schooling is also quite stressful and might effect their long term health - could be ethically thin ice to keep your fish scared so they compliment your planted tank...?! :wideyed:

That is an interesting post Ray. With regards to the ethics I am quite happy that my 'shoaling' fish are relaxed enough that they rarely shoal nowadays. If I really wanted shoaling again I would buy rummies ;) ...

On the display front, when I had Cardinals (pre washing up liquid) 5 or 6 of them (I assume males) would line up head to toe about an inch apart in front of the large Mopani and just "hang" there, meaning that they would be motionless.

Was quite cool to watch as if they were all tied together and then the thread attached to each end of the glass.

AC

SuperColey1 said:
On the display front, when I had Cardinals (pre washing up liquid) 5 or 6 of them (I assume males) would line up head to toe about an inch apart in front of the large Mopani and just "hang" there, meaning that they would be motionless.

Was quite cool to watch as if they were all tied together and then the thread attached to each end of the glass.

AC

I've seen that before with a whole tank of cardinals (about 100 in a 150litre tank) and also in video clips of tetras in their native habitat in South America (hundreds of them) ... All motionless and spaced apart from eachother by the exact same amount. It seems as opposite as you can get from shoaling. An amazing sight.

PM said:
willson said:
My marble hatches constantly shoal, just really high in the water :lol:

Don't they jump out?

Not yet, seem fairly calm, although they always seem to get in the breeding net, if I've been using it over night :lol:

I kept hatchets for years and actually lost a few and for ages couldn't work out why until I heard them being startled by other fish in the tank and slamming into the cover glass! One day too I left the cover glass half open and found one dried up on the other half when I got back from work. So yes they do jump! A lot!

Interestingly they also beat their pectoral fins so they can actually fly for a few metres in the larger species so you could find them far away from an open topped tank!

Rummy's rarely show their best in the shops because of the bright lights, noise, lack of cover etc. When they're happy, they're stunning.

Thomas McMillan said:
I've been looking around and it seems Lampeye Killis shoal quite well?

I've got these in my tank right now.... they shoaled when first put in the tank, but now they are settled they rarely shoal. Then again, I only have four of them at the moment so that could be why!

Can you hear those Rummies, they are calling louder and louder :twisted: :lol:

Just get whatever takes your fancy mate. Then if and when you want to take a good shot of them shoaling around like sardines, just takes them out for a couple of days or you could even scare them(Personally don't like the sound of it) but thats what most of the pro's do.

The shoaling aspect should come a far second to the colouration in complementing your tank and giving you enjoyment.

I may be the wrong person o give advice though, after all... I have a great shoal of Rummynose :twisted:

From looking through other peoples thread's microrasborra seem to shoal really well, 20 in a 60cm tank would be a sight to be seen.

Hmm... like Coffee Bean Rasboras? I knida like them. The other types don't seem to be that colourful apart from Galaxies.

Garuf said:
From looking through other peoples thread's microrasborra seem to shoal really well, 20 in a 60cm tank would be a sight to be seen.

Nooooooooo!!! This thread is turning into a list of what is in my tank! As well as a few lampeyes I also have a few microgalaxy rasboras. The Rasboras are uber chilled as well and rarely shoal!

They are beautiful though. From a distance they look a bit drab, but up close they have the most exquisite patterning I have ever seen. I have contemplating getting rid of all my other small fish and filling the tank with them on more than one occasion! Not for shoaling purposes though that is for sure!

Tom I hope you take Jays advice and go for whatever you like best, in the meantime I am going to keep making comments about Rummies, cos it makes me laugh and I think you are taking it all in great spirit! :D
:lol:

Back