• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Actual Shoalers

Yeah, I love the red ones. They're like the ones in SteveUK's livebearer tank.

Hah, my opinion keeps cnanging on Rummies Matt, one minute I'm all for getting them and the next I'm back to hating them. I can't see myself actually getting them though... (but don't hold your breath :D).

Microrasbora erythromicron. This is called Burmese Zebra Striped microrasbora in Maidenhead Aquatics.

Like most of the other ideas this fish doesnt shoal. After they are settled they tend to seperate into smaller groups 3 or 4. Then they chase each other within their little groups.

If they see humans or cameras they immediately head for the undergrowth and "go to ground". lol

takes a lot of patience to get a pic of them.

Males are very pretty. females have less of a blue on their side closer to grey stripes.

AC

The best school I saw was Barracuda this summer - we were scuba diving and a school of maybe 1000 went right around us in a vortex - a wall of fish only 2 or 3 metres away, each a metre long. They were so tightly packed it was incredible. Nothing I've seen in freshwater comes close.

But getting back on topic, how about Sawbwa resplendens, also known as the Rummynose Rasbora (confused?): http://www.seriouslyfish.com/profile.php?id=991

ooh, those rasboras look and sound really interesting. SuperColey, I've seen those from your Journal and have to say I really like them. I think Microrasboras is the way to go! I just like the fact that they are small because I like to give my fish a lot of room to swim, so a shoal of these will have plenty of room in a 72l. I know they don't shoal that much but it doesn't look like there are any species that shoal really well apart from Rummies. Ember Tetras are also still an option.

The only thing is Microrasboras seem to be really rare around here. Maybe that's just my area? I've only seen Microrasboras once and they were really dull, just seethrough to be honest. I think they were called Mosquito Microrasboras or something.

these were almost see through as were the galaxys when I saw them in Maidenhead. 2 days in my tank with plenty of cover and they were coloured up nicely. The males are the same colour as the pic in my journal but I have yet to get a decent actual photo.

AC

Ray said:
The best school I saw was Barracuda this summer - we were scuba diving and a school of maybe 1000 went right around us in a vortex - a wall of fish only 2 or 3 metres away, each a metre long. They were so tightly packed it was incredible. Nothing I've seen in freshwater comes close.

But getting back on topic, how about Sawbwa resplendens, also known as the Rummynose Rasbora (confused?): http://www.seriouslyfish.com/profile.php?id=991

I love the look of these, since seeing them in the Nature Aquarium books but never seen them in any shops.

They are cute fish. Are these top dwellers or do they hide in the lower half like other micros seem to?

AC

So Tom, the million dollar question is...

did you succumb and buy any rummys this week (rummy rasboras or tetras that is!) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hah, no not yet. The tank isn't even set up yet and won't be for months. I just wanted to get an idea of what's out there and what I liked.

I'm in the process of setting up my 35l to get the hang of things now. It's called 'Forest' in the journals section. It was originally going to be for Guppies but I might put some Microrasboras or something in there instead.

As soon as I hit submit on my last post I remembered that you hadn't even set the tank up yet :oops:
Oh well!

I was in Wholesale Tropicals in East London yesterday and saw about 3 different types of micro rasboras (couldn't tell you exactly what ones as the tank labels were all mixed up). They were all nice looking fish. Also saw CRS shrimp for the first time, low grade, but still gorgeous looking :D

harlequins all the way a group of 12 would be top notch in your tank.

they shoal brilliantly and feeding time is a frenzy...

if my camera could take better macro shots i would of posted a pic of my 15 during feeding time

There's pretty mixed opinions on Harlequins. Some people say they don't shoal at all, and other say they shoal brilliantly.

Either way, I will still consider them. I think they will go great with the 'feel' of the scape I have in mind, although they aren't one of my favourite fish.

If you saw my "airline horror stories" thread you will know I am still stuck in Lisbon and therefore my father took delivery of and acclimitised the 6 black corys I had arranged for the day after my scheduled return.

My sister in law who is in our house while we are away says that they all stay at the front and if you come and look at them they bang into the glass to try and scare you off. lol

The reason I post in this thread is when I asked how the 12 microrasboras are reacting (they were hiding in the Java Fern when anyone approached the tank) she says that they are all out and about and schooling nicely. maybe a temporary phase until they realise there is no threat but still I thought worth posting!!!

I will see with my own eyes tomorrow afternoon.

AC

Thanks for that. Where did you get your Microrasboras from? Was it that website that used to be called Tropical Fish 4 U? I can't think of the new name of it now.

it will still load up from tf4u webstie. That was where I first saw them for £3.50 or something. Then I found some in my local MA at £9 for 6 so I bought 12. Huge saving.

AC

I got my MicroGalaxy Rasbora (Microrasbora sp.Galaxy) from MA (Dartford branch) as well.
I can't remember what I paid, but they were the healthiest and cheapest I could find in all of my LFS.

Ember tetra shoal, not in the same way rummynose's do, but they do. The only thing is they need a dither fish to really bring them out as they're so timid.

This is so true. Mine have been hiding for years. Just threw an Endler in there and viola. Out and about. Love them bold endlers!

Rasboras in general are better schooler than tetra and barb. My Brilliant rasboras are tight schooler, rarely break up and always face the same direction

Tetra and barbs don’t school but shoal loosely, and frequently break up in a familiar environment. But I have big fish in a big tank to herd them into tight shoal, most of the time. Note that my Congo and Diamond tetra shoal together on the left end of my 125g, and tiger barb shoal along the bottom left.

Attachments

• 8D9598C7-CC1D-4DA0-9775-317566FD5D65.jpeg
    8D9598C7-CC1D-4DA0-9775-317566FD5D65.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 109
  • 243A3A44-8A74-4645-943A-FD411C75A0ED.jpeg
    243A3A44-8A74-4645-943A-FD411C75A0ED.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 122
Back