ADA 2009 Entry, Song of Moss

Discussion in 'Planted Tank Gallery' started by Steven Chong, 20 Jun 2009.

1. Steven Chong

Steven Chong Member

Hi all, this is my first post here at UKAPS forum. Some of you folks I know, many I don't. Hope to be hanging around here a bit. For your viewing pleasure, here are some photos from my ADA entry this year. Enjoy

By the way-- I will be going to Nature Aquarium Party Tokyo this year, and hope to run into some folks from the UK there. :D

koke-no-uta2copy.jpg

take-no-opae3.jpg

take-no-opae1.jpg

2. Stu Worrall

Stu Worrall Forum Moderator Staff Member

very nice tank steven, does it consist entirely of mosses?

3. TDI-line

TDI-line Member

Nice work Steven.

Those shrimp look stunning. :D

4. GreenNeedle

GreenNeedle Member

Steven - I think it looks great. Very natural.

You have the same problem as me it seems with the photos in that the light washes out empty areas :)

AC

5. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

looks very natural, and in fact i dont think i have seen anything come as close to nature from what you have produced here.

6. samc

samc Member

thats a great little shrimp tank

like the white sand too bet the shrimp mess it up alot :lol:

7. rawr

rawr Member

A very natural nice little tank you've got there! :)

8. viktorlantos

viktorlantos Aquascaper

very nice especially with this white sand. great contrast. congratulations

9. Steven Chong

Steven Chong Member

Thanks all! Scoley-- yeah, I don't have a flash unit, so I got to go with a higher shutter speed to get the fish to not look like just a blur. The result is that I lose some focus/detail in the photo. :/

The shrimp are Atyoida Bisculata or "Opae Kala'ole" in Hawaiian, and it is a native species found only in our islands. After observing the shrimp though, I can't see how it's an Atyoida (like Bamboo shrimp) since it has no fans and doesn't filter feed. In terms of size/behavior/coloration, it reminds me more of Amanos than anything-- which is good since we're not allowed to have Amanos here.

10. Stu Worrall

why arent you allowed to have amanos steven?

11. LondonDragon

LondonDragon Administrator Staff Member

Looks great Steve, but I think you not allowed to post photos until the results are publish at the ADA party ;)

12. Steven Chong

Steven Chong Member

LondonDragon-- Yeah, you're probably right. Maybe I'll hide the image after a few days then, or after this thread dies.

Stuworrall-- I live in Hawaii, and we've got strict regulations about animal imports, especially inverts. Though, it's kind of funny because the streams are already so infested with loosed Neocaridina denticulata (Cherry Shrimp, wild form though so no brilliant red color) that you can buy the shrimp as feeders at 10/$1 USD (That's 100,000/quid, :lol: ). Not sure how that happened because wild cherries have been an issue in Hawaii from even before I think cherry shrimp were popularized in the aquarium.

13. Stu Worrall

damn, thats mean of them for the amano shrimp! luck about the cherry shrimps though, they cost about £2 each here from the LFS!

14. Gill

Gill Member

Hi Steve,
    Stunning tank as always, good luck in the comp this year.

15. TBRO

TBRO Member

Like it very much, I always think it would be awsome to live somwhere you could just go fishing for plants and stock. I guess you could have a awsome marine tank in Hawaii, any native fresh water plant?

Regards, Tom

16. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

I really like this scape Steven! Looks bigger than I think it is :)

17. lljdma06

lljdma06 Member

It is a beautiful scape, Steven. The white sand is lovely with the flora of the scape. It looks very natural. Good luck.

18. Steven Chong

Steven Chong Member

Thanks all :)

Tom, ironically I'd have to say that the marine scene in Hawaii wouldn't interest most serious hobbyists-- because you can't grow any corals in your tank! We are not allowed to import live corals, as they are a threat to native species, but we also cannot take live specimens <legally>. Fish are very cheap, sometimes 30% or less of prices elsewhere, but without the opportunity to grow anything I bet it would lose attractiveness to hobbyists <like us>.

All native species (plant and animal) to Hawaii are those who could fly or swim (float) to the islands in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. Unfortunately, most fresh water plants lack any capacity for such a journey-- except for riccia (stuck onto bird's feet), bacopa (grows ocean-side), and a native species of Marsilea (your guess is as good as mine).