• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ADA 2009 Entry, Song of Moss

Steven Chong

Hi all, this is my first post here at UKAPS forum. Some of you folks I know, many I don't. Hope to be hanging around here a bit. For your viewing pleasure, here are some photos from my ADA entry this year. Enjoy

By the way-- I will be going to Nature Aquarium Party Tokyo this year, and hope to run into some folks from the UK there. :D

koke-no-uta2copy.jpg

take-no-opae3.jpg

take-no-opae1.jpg

Steven - I think it looks great. Very natural.

You have the same problem as me it seems with the photos in that the light washes out empty areas :)

AC

Thanks all! Scoley-- yeah, I don't have a flash unit, so I got to go with a higher shutter speed to get the fish to not look like just a blur. The result is that I lose some focus/detail in the photo. :/

The shrimp are Atyoida Bisculata or "Opae Kala'ole" in Hawaiian, and it is a native species found only in our islands. After observing the shrimp though, I can't see how it's an Atyoida (like Bamboo shrimp) since it has no fans and doesn't filter feed. In terms of size/behavior/coloration, it reminds me more of Amanos than anything-- which is good since we're not allowed to have Amanos here.

LondonDragon-- Yeah, you're probably right. Maybe I'll hide the image after a few days then, or after this thread dies.

Stuworrall-- I live in Hawaii, and we've got strict regulations about animal imports, especially inverts. Though, it's kind of funny because the streams are already so infested with loosed Neocaridina denticulata (Cherry Shrimp, wild form though so no brilliant red color) that you can buy the shrimp as feeders at 10/$1 USD (That's 100,000/quid, :lol: ). Not sure how that happened because wild cherries have been an issue in Hawaii from even before I think cherry shrimp were popularized in the aquarium.

Like it very much, I always think it would be awsome to live somwhere you could just go fishing for plants and stock. I guess you could have a awsome marine tank in Hawaii, any native fresh water plant?

Regards, Tom

It is a beautiful scape, Steven. The white sand is lovely with the flora of the scape. It looks very natural. Good luck.

TBRO said:
Like it very much, I always think it would be awsome to live somwhere you could just go fishing for plants and stock. I guess you could have a awsome marine tank in Hawaii, any native fresh water plant?

Regards, Tom

Thanks all :)

Tom, ironically I'd have to say that the marine scene in Hawaii wouldn't interest most serious hobbyists-- because you can't grow any corals in your tank! We are not allowed to import live corals, as they are a threat to native species, but we also cannot take live specimens <legally>. Fish are very cheap, sometimes 30% or less of prices elsewhere, but without the opportunity to grow anything I bet it would lose attractiveness to hobbyists <like us>.

All native species (plant and animal) to Hawaii are those who could fly or swim (float) to the islands in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. Unfortunately, most fresh water plants lack any capacity for such a journey-- except for riccia (stuck onto bird's feet), bacopa (grows ocean-side), and a native species of Marsilea (your guess is as good as mine).

Back