• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ada 45p ‘Slope Side’

buttons

* Instagram - james_aquascaper *

This will be a new journal on my ADA 45p scape, the tank is up and running but I have documented the process to get everyone up to scratch.

Tank - ADA 45p.
Stand - DIY ADA style cabinet made by myself.
Light - Twinstar 450ea.
Filter - Oase 250 Biomaster Thermo with glass lily pipes.
Co2 - Co2 Art regulator with bazooka diffuser.

Hard scape - Seiryu Stone & manzanita wood.
Substrate - Tropica soil
Fertile - E.I

Plant list.

Staurogyne Repens
Hemianthus Callitrichoides
Roatal Rotundifolia
Rotala Yao Yai
Ludwigia Arcuata
Bucephalandre Godzilla

Livestock

My dumbo Betta

Here a few photo of the cabinet build and set up

08fd7607a57297ae7f27d558cc0f3070.jpg

ef663153e376955ed1b559298cbeb49a.jpg

5a76120b7560b286e13b9a71a1e60f0c.jpg

Hard scape done, it all went together quite easily for once, wood was glued to the rock so no need for pre soaking.
e149ed8059ec557b85a5f55387761cda.jpg

Plant from K2aqua on eBay and Tropica from pro shrimp.
6b834c2c983ace3c8aa284d70fcfe8ce.jpg

All planted and filter running, I seeded the filter from another filter so hopefully my Betta can go it quicker.
276eb1473aa145284623dba83b27b781.jpg

33052b19a6f00a7f304af1925243645e.jpg

At the moment I have the lights on 6 hours a day with the power at around 70% to let the plants settle, it been 3days now and did my first 50% water change today. I haven’t added any fertiliser yet, When do most people start adding the fertiliser.

Thank you for reading all the of the first post.

I will linked my old 60p journal and my current Low energy 60p scape below.

Old 60p scape - https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/james-ada-60p-iwagumi-journal.50377/

Current Low energy 60p scape - https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/low-tech-60p.59463/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
How soon does a everyone start dosing ferts on fresh Tropica soil?

Think i started around a month old but could probably wait longer, hardscape looks great and i have always done DIY stand so much cheaper and looks great.

Usually people do 50 percent water change daily for the first week. Then every other day week 2 then ever 3 days nedt week then weekly to get rid of all the bad bacteria in water column from plants adapting to underwater form and gets oxygen into water column.

But if worked in your kast scape sure will be fine mate.

Keep us posted
Dean

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I set up a tank recently with tropica soil and started dosing pretty much straight away, think it was 2 days after the tanks first 70/80% water change i started dosing full EI, could have started at half dose but went with full dosing. 3 weeks later i've got great growth and still no sign of any type of algae.
I planned my dosing around my water changes, first two weeks i did 4x 70/80% water changes, now i'm doing 3 x 70/80% water changes for another two weeks before dropping it to 1x 70/80% a week. The first 3 weeks are definitely the most important for water changes, as the soil is leeching nutrients/ammonia and the plants are adapting/melting depending on how well they are doing. I am also increasing the lighting 10% every 2 weeks (starting from 50%) as long as i see minimal melting.

Last edited:
Think i started around a month old but could probably wait longer, hardscape looks great and i have always done DIY stand so much cheaper and looks great.

Usually people do 50 percent water change daily for the first week. Then every other day week 2 then ever 3 days nedt week then weekly to get rid of all the bad bacteria in water column from plants adapting to underwater form and gets oxygen into water column.

But if worked in your kast scape sure will be fine mate.

Keep us posted
Dean

I’ve been following the Tropica app which tells you want to do lol. I’ve set up loads of tanks before but thought I would give there app a try. I normally start dosing straight away but sen others waiting, so may hold off at the moment.

I set up a tank recently with tropica soil and started dosing pretty much straight away, think it was 2 days after the tanks first 70/80% water change i started dosing full EI, could have started at half dose but went with full dosing. 3 weeks later i've got great growth and still no sign of any type of algae.
I planned my dosing around my water changes, first two weeks i did 4x 70/80% water changes, now i'm doing 3 x 70/80% water changes for another two weeks before dropping it to 1x 70/80% a week. The first 3 weeks are definitely the most important for water changes, as the soil is leeching nutrients/ammonia and the plants are adapting/melting depending on how well they are doing. I am also increasing the lighting 10% every 2 weeks (starting from 50%) as long as i see minimal melting.

I’ve started my light lower, I normally do to let the plants settle in. I will probably water change every 2-3 days. I’m trying the Tropica app so I’ll see what they say about dosing on the scape.

Hi, i only dose K for the first 2 months and then I start to dose macros and micros slowly

I will more then likely goes E.I on the set up. When you say you only dose K, what does K apply too?

I will probably start dosing around the 14th day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what does K apply too?

This is potassium K on the Periodic Table of Elements :cool:

When to begin dosing rather depends on plants, tap water parameters, substrate etc
ADA tends to lean water column dosing (not sure if they’ve amended this with the Amazon Light Soil range), especially at the start (stepped program of fertilizers)
Tropica is somewhat more inclusive in water column dosing, re their Specialized and Premium fertilizers
Like ADA, Tropica has developed a system based upon many test tanks, and has modified protocols for 1-2-Grow range vs Pots

If your tap water is very soft, and given information above, I’d begin dosing sooner rather than later as little is known of the plant source and some 1-2-Grow present
(though element toxicity can be observed in very soft water, so proceed with care and attention ;) - as long as water changes are sufficient in amount and frequency, toxicity in soft water is unlikely (this is in reference to EI style dosing not ADA, Tropica or similar))

Lovely scape :)

2ff592d8825a6af4f31d619ab5b269e9.jpg

Sorry for the late reply, life is crazy at the moment with everything that’s going on in the world right now.

Quick update, finally getting on top of the algae now thank god, it’s been a right nightmare. I was going to tear it down but stuck with it, glad I did now. I’m going to address more of the algae tomorrow and trim the stems. I’m also considering replacing the sand for soil and plant it with some hair grass. The bylxa is starting to grow in the left hand back corner so won’t be long and it will be visible in photos.

I will try and update this more in the coming weeks

Stay safe everyone, stay home!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad you stuck with it, looks great i did exactly the same last time and eventually got rid of the sand got aquasoil in and planted hair grass, happy woth mine with sand at the minute for now . Stay safe and keep us updated.

Dean

Hello! Great looking tank!
Was wondering if the oase bio master 250 is not a bit overkill for 45p? Was thinking about that one too, but went for filtosmart 100 instead because I was scared it would just be to much.

Hello! Great looking tank!
Was wondering if the oase bio master 250 is not a bit overkill for 45p? Was thinking about that one too, but went for filtosmart 100 instead because I was scared it would just be to much.
No i have the 250 on mine and seems perfect , actually sold the 100 filtosmart and upgraded to the 250 for the easy pre filter and better flow , 100 is good enough but 250 works great

Ah okay. Thanks for your reply. Now I will also probably just buy the 250 also haha. The pre filter seems really convenient..

Back