• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ADA 60-P planted tank 'Prairie' (month 5)

Re: ADA 60-P planted tank 'Prairie' (week 7)

Another productive day today. I got a delivery from aqua essentials. A razor for the glass, some shrimp food and a pot of HC. You can tell the new HC from the picture, as it is quite a different colour to what's already in the tank.

First up was a bit of glass cleaning. I've not been able to get right to the substrate until now and it makes a huge difference as you can imagine.

Then on to planting. I moved a few things around. Some pogostemon helferi was moved from hidden areas to fill out a couple of sections I thought could use it. I pulled up some HC and separated it out and replanted too. mostly removed from the front left which I'll be dealing with later.

I took Antipofish's idea of creating a pathway through the scape and moved some blyxa from the centre back to the front right. There was a bit of saggitaria there too, which I moved to centre left with the other sagg.
Originally I had planted a reineckii at the rear but it didn't sit right with me and need to go to help fit the pathway in. When I uprooted it it looked pretty good so is now just behind the intake, with the other.

The new HC from aqua essentials was split and used to spread the carpet to the back of the tank. There was plenty there so I used some to fill out other areas. I just hope the colour starts to match soon. It was quite tall too but I haven't trimmed it yet. I'll let it bed in a bit first.

Everything else got a trim where needed and then I spent a while picking bits of parvula out of the other plants. That stuff sticks to everything!

So, plant wise I'm almost done (that may be speaking too soon, I know). Just the front left section to go. My plan here is to plant quite dense quadricostatus. Thanks to Piece-of-Fish on here I have plenty of it, all really healthy looking.

In the morning, I'll split that up and get planting. At the moment it's all chained to the mother plant. I don't like to have just a random chiunk of one species though, so will find a couple of other spots to plant a few as well.

Picture time! Note the danios, who followed my hand round the tank as I worked. The widows all hid but I'm sure they will get used to e. They are less than shy when it's feeding time. Those guys go crazy for the micro pellets. I thought a couple of them were going to leap out of the tank to get them before they hit the water!

7217077394_756bc425f6.jpg

Thanks to Chris for the path idea and to piece-of-fish for the plants. Plus aqua essentials should get a thank you for speedy delivery and great looking plants.

Looking really swish Rob. I'm giving out all my ideas and not doing any scaping myself, LOL. I definitely like that look though. Be careful not to let the Blyxa on the right creep across and close off the path ;) I would say you are set with this now. Are there any adjustments you are still wanting to make ?

Cheers Chris,

well other than the front left section I'm not sure. I'll do that tomorrow and see how I feel about if afterwards. I expect I'll leave it a for a while and let it settle, although the urge to tinker is quite strong!

That path actually curves round to the left as it gets closer to the back but I think you're right. I'll keep an eye on that.

Little update for today. I've planted the quadricostatus now, mostly front left but a little opposite too. Great looking plant and really healthy. Came from a tropic display tank, so not much of a surprise really. I just hope I can continue to keep it healthy!
Started adding easycarbo today as well. I'm going for 3ml dos day, which I'll do for a few weeks to see what the difference is like.

The widows are settling in a little. A couple of them a still quite timid but getting there.

Tomorrow is the big cleanup and photographing day. Looking forward to that but for now here is a quick iPhone shot of the new planting.

7221423552_9cf0691a31_c.jpg

Rob this really is looking cracking mate :) A suggestion if I may... The plant above the blyxa at the right of the path, which is leaning over to the left... I would trim the left most 5 stems towards the right of the tank to open up a V shape at the back of the path (unless it is your intention for it to look like overhanging growth above the dragon stone of course). Again, try it in photoshop first. I would be interested to see the result :) Gotta love computers, the stuff we can do nowadays. (Is there a "slimming effect" tool for personal pics ? hahaha).

Well, I was just wondering if I should uproot it and turn it 180 so the tips are bending over the other way. I could trim them but I like the way the colour changes up the stem. Just starting to blush a little too and I think I'd prefer it if all three groups of it matched.

Agreed on emphasising the valley/path though.

A photshop filter for slimming or fattening....Filter-liquify. Ive had a lot of fun and many many laughs with this filter in photoshop.

i could fin a pic of George and show you....actually, he doesnt need it :lol:

Mark Evans said:
A photshop filter for slimming or fattening....Filter-liquify. Ive had a lot of fun and many many laughs with this filter in photoshop.

i could fin a pic of George and show you....actually, he doesnt need it :lol:

Can you find one that makes him fat please !!! Then one that makes me thin, and merge the pics :lol:

pariahrob said:
Lol. Then you could merge like the two creatures in bill and ted.
:woot: Im not sure I wanna merge like that with George, nice bloke that he is :lol: But a pic of me looking thin and him looking fat would be most welcome. :twisted:

I've just gone out and bought a few sheets of card to test various background colours. This is by far my favourite and is what I shall be going for.
I did a few shots yesterday but nothing special. That's for tonight. Just have to decide on removing glassware or not!

7233477850_2f914740ef_c.jpg

Not a single widow in sight either! They all hid when I replaced the background.

Re: ADA 60-P planted tank 'Prairie' (week 7) video

This looks great this tank and a good choice of background. Did you see what the background was like if you spun it around so the lighter part was at the top?

Graduated b;ue background can be a pain to photograph. You need a minimum of 12 inches between the background and the tank, to allow light to 'spill' on to the background. Takes plenty of practise.

So true. I used to spend a LOT of time photographing miniatures for Games Workshop and they were all on a blue grad. I prefer this look for this tank I think.

Here's a shot I just took. Shame the widows are still in hiding!

7236182356_72b7fd2157_c.jpg

Well done :thumbup:
You are learning really fast. With photography skills in possession I can see you pulling out gems very very soon.
You will be cursing me for sending that quadricostatus soon as well :lol: Will see why in 1-2 weeks.

I think it's time to start thinking about getting a replacement for Marvin. I've done a lot of reading over the last few days and, based on my tank, water and density of plants I think an L129, hypancistrus debiliterra or chocolate zebra is the way to go. They don't need wood, are omnivorous, small and shouldn't uproot my plants.

If anybody has any thoughts on this please let me know.

Back