• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ADA 60-P planted tank 'Prairie' (month 5)

Re: ADA 60-P planted tank 'Prairie' (week 9)

Well, still no idea why the CPD died but things have been ok since then. I finally got round to some decent maintenance today as well.
My glassware was looking decidedly shabby:

7354548412_ef2cde7221.jpg

So, out came the superge and spring brush. Much better:

7169335373_1da24186b7.jpg

I may be able to start my next tank soonish as well. If everything pans out at work I'll be starting in the next month, so look for a new journal from me soon.

Can't wait Rob :) Wow ! You really are the Superge King. You love that stuff as much as I do Purigen, hehe. :thumbup: Where is your post trim FTS then ? :p

Got to love the superge! Great stuff. I'm actually a big fan of the perigean as well. I've noticed a difference since adding it.

Ok then. Here is the FTS. You'll see it's looking barer than it was. I had quite a pruning session, specially of the background plants, which really grow like weeds! The quadricostatus also has gone mad. This week it's sent out over 12" worth of runners and grown 4 new plantlets! SO they have gone and I've removed a couple of shoots of sagg too, as that was popping up all over the carpet and crowding the pogo.

7170009963_b2cb12abdb_c.jpg

And a couple of happy inhabitants too.

7170009601_d6ae49a3bf_c.jpg

I'm loving this otto photo.

7170010185_6fdf305537_c.jpg

Re: ADA 60-P planted tank 'Prairie' (week 10, new photos)

Rob its looking great mate ! Your growth is amazing. I think it would be a useful time for us all if you reminded us of your regimes : fert dosing, CO2, easy carb, lighting etc. I know its in there but sometimes its good to see a FTS then see a snapshot of whats creating it :)

Cheers Chris! Ok well here is a little rundown of my regime.

I'm still splashing out on ADA ferts, seeing as that's how I started and it's working for me so far. I will change to EI at some point though.
Up until last week I was dosing 3ml ADA stage 1 every morning, along with 2ml of easycarbo (which is a recent addition to help boost everything - which it certainly has).

Now I dose 2ml stage one and 1ml stage 2. I'm a few weeks early moving over to stage 2 but I decided to introduce it now. Partly as, although it isn't hugely different from stage 1, I like to make changes slowly where I can but also as my tank seems more matured than I was expecting by now.
I have my flow sorted, the carpet is fully established and all my plants seem to be doing really well. I may be condemning it saying that but so far so good. Once the stage 1 runs out next week I'll be using just stage 2.

I run pressurised CO2, at 2bps. Means nothing really but my drop checker is slightly lime coloured, not dark green. I turn the CO2 on 2 hours before lights on, switching it off an hour before lights off.

Lighting is 2 T5s, both plant pro bulbs (I didn't like the tropical pro colour rendition) and lights on at midday, off again at 8:00pm.

Water changes happen twice a week and I change 20-30%. I'm also using a mix of 70% tap water and 30% RO water, as my tap water is really hard.

I've had a few spots of algae turn up here and there but nothing too bad. I have 8 amanos and 6 ottos to deal with that, although I bought a scraper to use before taking any decent photos, just in case. I've barely used it though.

My filter is a rena xp2. Bottom basket has two mechanical filters, just simple broad foam. On top of that is a mix of two bio media. One bioballs from API and a handful of Fluval ceramic. Top basket has denser filter floss (which I change every month as it degrades fast) a handful of purigen and some API crystal.

I did have activated carbon in there but I removed it when I treated for whitespot and didn't put it back. I clean the filter out once a fortnight (mostly to remove the snails!) but could easily leave it a month or two without too much build up or clogging.

It's probably worth mentioning food too, seeing as that has a big impact on the water. I feed twice a day. Just a small amount of Hikari micropellets. I feed twice, as the black widows will eat everything I put in but only come out to feed when it's dark. That means the others can get some when the lights are on.

I also use a couple of genchem shrimp foods but I only had a quarter of the amount suggested. The shrimp get plenty to eat from plant biofilm. I just like to give them the extra to help with molting and things.

I think that covers it, apart from the endless tinkering and trimming.

Oh yes! I bit of both really. I use a syphon and use it to waft things around a bit then use it a little more vigorously to get at anything in the carpet.
I also find a few snail shells under the filter intake, where the snails have battled the flow and lost.

I do this while emptying water at water change time. Usually before switching off the filter, so that helps to remove the smallest floating debris I can't catch with the vacuum.

I just took delivery of a little magfox filter hose cleaner. No idea if it's any good yet but if anybody wants a little review let me know.
Looking forward to trying it out tomorrow. My hoses are looking a bit manky!

pariahrob said:
I just took delivery of a little magfox filter hose cleaner. No idea if it's any good yet but if anybody wants a little review let me know.
Looking forward to trying it out tomorrow. My hoses are looking a bit manky!

Mini reviews with pics always good :)

Rob you must be pretty chuffed with how this has gone eh ? I'm very impressed with the growth you are achieving and was also very impressed with the healthyness of the plants you sent me :) Keep going... looking forward to seeing the 120 soon :thumbup:

pariahrob said:
Thanks so much everybody. Great encouragement. Lets see if I can replicate this success on something 4 times as big!

No chance mate. May as well redirect the tank to my place ;) :clap: :angelic:

Actually I have every faith. You have patience and thats a big plus in this game I reckon. (Well apart from how quick you like to add your fish, :p )

pariahrob said:
Thanks so much everybody. Great encouragement. Lets see if I can replicate this success on something 4 times as big!

when does this happen mate?? Are you going full ADA again following this epic success?!?

Pretty soon by the looks of it. I'm not sure about going all ADA this time. I'm looking for 120cm tank and open top might be more hassle and expense. As much as I love ADA gear I'd be forever dealing with evaporation. It isn't out of the question though.
I have a few other options. Fluval Studio 900, or the roma are two but I'm most drawn to the eheim scubaline 240L. I really like the cabinet design. Lot's of very german features, like the soft close doors (my fish hate it when I close mine as gently as I can) and the shelf on the inside of one door. Such a nice idea, for test kits, food, stuff. I went and had a look at one and very solidly built. The lid isn't too deep, which puts me off some others and it has decent T5 lighting too.

I will have some rock in it but going for a more wood based approach I think. Plant-wise I haven't decided yet but I will definitely have some pogo and some HC in it.

I'm spending as much time thinking about fish. 50+ gallons gives me a lot of options. Not sure if I want a greater number of small fish or fewer larger or oddball fish. WOrds like angel and discus have been heard in my house recently but then ottos wouldn't be such an option and I love them.

Ah, the joys of too many options.

Chris, sorry mate. I've already planned a room around it! You're welcome to come and do my water changes though. :lol:

Great result. I am jelous :D
One more for eheim. I have scaped one in Hannover this year and can only say good things about it. Very well built.
Although for a rising aquascaping star such us yourself the only option is an open top 8)
Much easier to maintain and to photograph plus this magic top view. Have you thought about auto top up?
Or even a sump.

Back