• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ADA 60F, Matura Trail

31473506328_474aa77f98_k.jpg
full tank by 5EAN11, on Flickr

Last edited:
Really like the shallow tank design. Ideal for the nano species. T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really like the shallow tank design. Ideal for the nano species. T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I miss mine, great work man, very natural looking tank...those boraras seems happy :thumbup:

thank you both! I am really happy with how it has developed.

I did try to pick fish that were naturally found in shallow water courses, even though I never had a biotype in mind, I think this is still quite natural for them all.
made quick clip from a video I took the other month:
https://flic.kr/p/2bbszQd

edit- couldn't figure out how to embed the video here o_O

This little tank passed the 4 year mark this summer! It's gone through many changes over the years. Since being in our new house for 2 of those years, this side of the tank has been annoying me. The scape was set up to be viewed from the front left corner, but where it sits now we spend more time seeing it from the right hand side.

Time to move some shrubbery. Big crypt has been shifted to the back of the tank, and some odd rocks and sticks replace it to open up this side a bit.

DSC04210.jpg
DSC04249.jpg

Last edited:
Also added 10 new Corys :)
DSC04220.jpeg

The left side of the tank needed some rearranging too. The moss archway had eventually collapsed and was removed, replaced by some extra drift wood I had and a few Anubias Nana Mini.
DSC04231.jpg

I then realised that this new stick lent itself quite nicely to site over these rocks I had set aside
DSC04243.jpg

Left side view
DSC04244.jpg

Great looking setup! 1 Question however...I was under the impression that Cory's required a sandy area for their grazing?

Hi all,
that Cory's required a sandy area for their grazing?
Pygmy Corydoras (Corydoras pygmaeus) aren't anything like as bottom orientated as their larger cousins, and spend a lot more <"time resting on">, and grazing from, leaf surfaces (both leaf litter and growing plant leaves). You can see them on the left of the image in the linked thread. They usually rest there, or on the sponge filter. There is some exposed sand substrate at the back of the tank and I have seen them sitting on that, but not noticeably feeding from it.

I used to have <"Corydoras hastatus">, and they were the same.

I've also kept <"Corydoras habrosus">, and they were much more bottom orientated, and did sift through the sand like a larger Corydoras species would.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Great looking setup! 1 Question however...I was under the impression that Cory's required a sandy area for their grazing?
Thanks!

Not necessarily sand, just a soft substrate. I have the ADA Aqua Soil Powder, which is very small grain size and not abrasive, like say a gravel substrate. They poke around in the carpet and exposed soil areas quite happily.

Hi all,

Pygmy Corydoras (Corydoras pygmaeus) aren't anything like as bottom orientated as their larger cousins, and spend a lot more <"time resting on">, and grazing from, leaf surfaces (both leaf litter and growing plant leaves). I used to have Corydoras hastatus, and they were the same.

I've also kept Corydoras habrosus, and they were much more bottom orientated, and did sift through the sand like a larger Corydoras species would.

cheers Darrel
Yep, I had read that too so opted for the Pygmy corydoras this time. They definitely do spend more time higher up in the tank than my Corydoras habrosus.

Hi all,

Pygmy Corydoras (Corydoras pygmaeus) aren't anything like as bottom orientated as their larger cousins, and spend a lot more <"time resting on">, and grazing from, leaf surfaces (both leaf litter and growing plant leaves). You can see them on the left of the image in the linked thread. They usually rest there, or on the sponge filter. There is some exposed sand substrate at the back of the tank and I have seen them sitting on that, but not noticeably feeding from it.

I used to have <"Corydoras hastatus">, and they were the same.

I've also kept <"Corydoras habrosus">, and they were much more bottom orientated, and did sift through the sand like a larger Corydoras species would.

cheers Darrel
Well...there is my lesson for the day learned! HAHA!

Back