• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
For my birthday I was lucky enough to receive an ADA 60f and the kit to go along with it. I'll be putting a lot of my savings into this project too.

I've been waiting quite a while to set this up, but I had to get my trial exams out the way before I could get going.

I made a visit to Aquarium Gardens before christmas to pick out some hardscape, It was a really long train journey but definitely worth it. I ended up going with about 11kg of Frodo Stone. Many thanks to @Siege and Dave from @Aquarium Gardens for the great service.

Tank:
ADA 60f

Substrate:
ADA Aquasoil Powder Type (3L and 9L bag)
Lava Rock underneath

Lighting:
Twinstar 600e
Inline dimmer

Filtration:
Eheim ecco canister
Glass inflow and outflow

CO2:
Sodastream system
Aquario Neo Diffuser

Ferts (EI dosing):
DIY macros
Easy Life Profito micros

Planting (most likely):
HC cuba
Hydrocotyle Tripartita Japan
Rotala H'ra
Undecided moss (maybe Riccardia)

I will also be using remineralised RODI water, my tap water is so hard that I struggle with some species. I also don't want to have to deal with so much mineral deposit on the waterline, especially since this tank will evaporate fast.

I was very keen to have emersed hardscape with some emersed plant plant growth, possibly mosses growing out on top of the rocks.

DSC-3925.jpg

DSC-3937.jpg

DSC-3940.jpg

This is my first journal and I can't wait :)

Last edited:
Excellent beginning :)

Just mix some tap back into the RO for remineralizing - check your water report for a detailed analysis

Sounds awfully similar to what im attempting to do! Except I'm saving up for a 60P. I too am 16 and into aquascaping. If you would like to see my tanks right now theyre over on my Instagram @HypeBuce. Can't wait to see how this all turns out for you !! May I ask what made you choose ADA substrate over Tropica?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You've got it all going on Oscar. Well done for making the trek to AG, it looks like it was worth it, you have some really nice kit and hardscape there, Looking forward to seeing where you go with this ;)

Sounds awfully similar to what im attempting to do! Except I'm saving up for a 60P. I too am 16 and into aquascaping. If you would like to see my tanks right now theyre over on my Instagram @HypeBuce. Can't wait to see how this all turns out for you !! May I ask what made you choose ADA substrate over Tropica?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks :) I chose the ADA soil because from what I read, it is slightly better. Not too much of a price difference either.

Cheers

The first update!

I spent quite a while scaping the tank and here is the result so far:

thumbnail.jpg

DSC-4000.jpg

DSC-3996.jpg

I'm going for a continuous rock layout, so I wouldn't call it an Iwagumi. My main inspiration is The Green Machine's Continuity.

I'm quite pleased with it but I'm totally open to any suggestions. I have 3 stones left over but they are somewhat less similar in colour and texture to the ones in the tank.

I also made a quick timelapse video of the setup, hope you enjoy:

With regards to filtration, I have found a JBL CristalProfi Greenline e901 locally but potentially that will be way too much flow. Otherwise I have my Eheim Ecco Pro 130 but that is most likely not enough flow!

Cheers

Last edited:
Looks great I love this size of tank and you've done well with it

Only thing I'd say is I'd drop the substrate level by the same amount from front to back, it's already a shallow tank and half of it is being taken up with substrate, leave yourself say 2cm at front and keep the same slope and you might end up with about 2/3 water and 1/3 substrate, more area for planting and fish/shrimp

Coming along nicely. Like Kalum mentions, You may have too much AS in there, I'd aim to keep the substrate a little shallower at the front, about 2-3cm is enough to plant in ;)

Looks great I love this size of tank and you've done well with it

Only thing I'd say is I'd drop the substrate level by the same amount from front to back, it's already a shallow tank and half of it is being taken up with substrate, leave yourself say 2cm at front and keep the same slope and you might end up with about 2/3 water and 1/3 substrate, more area for planting and fish/shrimp
Coming along nicely. Like Kalum mentions, You may have too much AS in there, I'd aim to keep the substrate a little shallower at the front, about 2-3cm is enough to plant in ;)

Thanks for the feedback guys, I will probably lower the substrate in the front but I'd like to keep it high in the back so that the rocks will be partially out of the water. This way I can grow emersed mosses :)

Looks grand :)

But :oops:

Soil and hardscape are utilizing more than half your tank volume, so consider which fish - if any - you’d like to keep
I suspect jumping will be more likely - happens more as soon as tank is filled to brim (especially with rimless tanks) and with more shallow water column

Looks grand :)

But :oops:

Soil and hardscape are utilizing more than half your tank volume, so consider which fish - if any - you’d like to keep
I suspect jumping will be more likely - happens more as soon as tank is filled to brim (especially with rimless tanks) and with more shallow water column

I definitely need to make the right decision in terms of stocking. I was thinking possibly Chilli Rasbora, Kubotai Rasbora, Norman's Lampeye or Ember Tetra. Most of those are somewhat prone to jump especially the Chilli Rasboras. I'll probably have some CRS in there too.

Any suggestions?

I’d be careful of keeping most of these species in a 60F even with much lower substrate (taller water column)

Embers would be my suggestion of those you mention

I’ve never had any of the named fish jump from my tanks are which 53cm tall, but there are numerous reports online for the kubotai (need more oxygen than most rasboras etc ... they’ll just gradually disappear from tank), lampeye and chillis

Embers are far braver than many of the “nano” fish

Cool to see yet another 16 year old in the hobby.
I got lampeyes and sadly they jump a lot, so a lid is a must. I also think that Boraras would probably want a more sheltered aquascape. I think Kubotai would suit your aquascape and in particular if you decide to get an oversized filter. If you don't get an oversized filter I would choose Ember Tetras, but they may clash with Rotala H'ra.

Plant wise, I would skip the Hydrocotyle as it will grow like a weed and take away vast amounts of time when you should be revising for GCSEs lol! I think that H'ra might be a bit overpowering, but if you like the style of Crimson Sky James Findlay, then go for it. I personally would choose Hairgrass, or Pogostemon Erectus or Rotala Wallichii which might throw out flowers and look cool. Perhaps add some Bucephalandra species as well and begin the addiction.

Anyway, it's a brilliant aquascape, which I'm already envious of, but take an inch out of the soil so there's some room for stem plants. I would add that you should be very diligent with water changes as Amazonia leaches vast amounts of ammonia. It would also be advisable to add some mature media or even do a lightless and plantless cycle as Nigel has done to avoid major algae issues.

Cool to see yet another 16 year old in the hobby.
I got lampeyes and sadly they jump a lot, so a lid is a must. I also think that Boraras would probably want a more sheltered aquascape. I think Kubotai would suit your aquascape and in particular if you decide to get an oversized filter. If you don't get an oversized filter I would choose Ember Tetras, but they may clash with Rotala H'ra.

Plant wise, I would skip the Hydrocotyle as it will grow like a weed and take away vast amounts of time when you should be revising for GCSEs lol! I think that H'ra might be a bit overpowering, but if you like the style of Crimson Sky James Findlay, then go for it. I personally would choose Hairgrass, or Pogostemon Erectus or Rotala Wallichii which might throw out flowers and look cool. Perhaps add some Bucephalandra species as well and begin the addiction.

Anyway, it's a brilliant aquascape, which I'm already envious of, but take an inch out of the soil so there's some room for stem plants. I would add that you should be very diligent with water changes as Amazonia leaches vast amounts of ammonia. It would also be advisable to add some mature media or even do a lightless and plantless cycle as Nigel has done to avoid major algae issues.

I'll probably go down to my LFS this week to see what's on offer, maybe I'll find something else worth looking at :) I saw some Glowlight Carplets down there the other week which looked quite interesting.

I'm not sure how much H'ra I will use but I was thinking about it maybe just being a red accent plant in a small patch rather than the whole background. It could also go in the back left corner and grow primarily emersed. Otherwise for the background I was thinking possibly Blyxa Japonica. I do like the look of the Pogostemon though

I'll definitely be cycling without plants or light, especially with so much soil in such a small volume. Supposedly tissue culture HC is very sensitive to ammonia and will melt very easily. I've got some mature media that I can take from my other tank :)

Cheers, Oscar

Last edited:
Hi there, nice layout and tank (missin' mine now, check my old journal).

As the others said, you'll need to remove at least half of the soil in order to add depth, height and sexy front look. :cool:

Plant wise, H'ra would be ok, rotala walichii too, for an touch of green; hemianthus micranthemoides would fit perfectly (bushy and small, stays compact, ideal for this shallow tank).

Forget the P.Erectus and Blyxa; way too big for this tank.

Small carpeting plants like hc cuba, eleocharis mini (left and right corners), marsilea crenata or even elatine hydropier (slow grower) would fit nicely in the foreground.

Add details with small buces and anubia.

This shallow tank needs good water circulation and a lot of co2, be aware of that. (because of the ridiculous height and large water surface) Careful with light power too, a dimmer is a must.

As for the fishes; Ember tetra fit perfectly (had them in my 60F) as they never jump (when afraid they simulate death and don't jump, very funny to watch, clever fishes)

Good luck and enjoy :thumbup:

Back